Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 12-26-2018, 06:02 PM

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 220
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 43 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaSnapples View Post
I would recommend that any ultimate player look up videos of Andrew Fish. He was a pretty high level ultimate player back in the day. I'm honestly not sure which he picked up first. In old videos he even does a little switch from forehand to backhand during his x step.

You can clearly see in his form that he still has some habits from playing so much ultimate, but he's pretty freaking good and rated 1020+, so I don't really see ultimate as a hindrance.
Aw, thanks! This is sweet.

Ultimate, like any other sport, gives a good baseline to start from in disc golf. But like baseball for forehands or tennis for overhands, there's obviously an adjustment. Having made the switch, and worked with several other regionals/nationals-level ultimate players who are learning to play disc golf, I empathize with the original video's problems identified. Even now, I'm working on a smooth reachback and finishing shots, especially forehands.

My usual "coaching" suggestions to ultimate players are:
1. Re-learn what "flat" means. "Flat" with an Ultrastar (slow, understable, glidey) is radically different from "flat" with disc golf-specific discs.
2. Pick the right discs. For me, this was/is flippy and straight midranges and fairway drivers. Don't be seduced by stability; learn to make discs do what you want by putting clean spin and power on them. This is, stated a different way, doing what you already know.
3. Learn the pacing of disc golf. It is infuriating how slow disc golf is. There is a ridiculous amount of time to think about your past mistakes and future objectives that quieting your mind is essential.
4. Be patient. You are an expert at throwing a specific disc for every shot. Now you need to learn to become an expert at throwing different discs for specific shots. That familiarity takes time.

Ultimate experienced a substantial growth about ten years ago in high school and youth leagues that resulted in a boom in the quality of college and club play. Don't be surprised if there is some fallout from that as retiring ultimate players pick up disc golf and have a really solid floor to start from, even if they haven't been playing for very long.
Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2018, 06:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,717 Times in 749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish58320 View Post
Aw, thanks! This is sweet.
what happened to mullethead?
Old 12-26-2018, 06:30 PM

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 220
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 43 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
what happened to mullethead?
Still exists.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,653 Times in 1,655 Posts

Quote:
Still exists.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:11 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 41.3
Courses Played: 150
Niced 51 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:

Ultimate experienced a substantial growth about ten years ago in high school and youth leagues that resulted in a boom in the quality of college and club play. Don't be surprised if there is some fallout from that as retiring ultimate players pick up disc golf and have a really solid floor to start from, even if they haven't been playing for very long.
I really miss being hacked up on the mark by BT every time I faked a throw...NOT!!

Yup, there's a few of us old Ultimate natties-level dudes who've taken up DG quite seriously. For whatever weird reason I had way more success throwing pinpoint passes to a streaking teammate for goals while having someone in my face trying to make sure that didn't happen than I do throwing unmarked to a basket just standing there 250 feet away.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:45 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 106 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
Everyone I know or know of who plays Ultimate and DG is a good golfer...soooooo?
I too started with years of ultimate. Like I said earlier in the thread, I am not saying that Ultimate players don't make good DGers. I am saying that there are a few habits that tend to hold them back from being even better. I have experience overcoming these and see them often in my friends who are learning the sport coming from an Ultimate background. Soooo?
Old 12-27-2018, 08:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc Golf Doctor View Post
I too started with years of ultimate. Like I said earlier in the thread, I am not saying that Ultimate players don't make good DGers. I am saying that there are a few habits that tend to hold them back from being even better. I have experience overcoming these and see them often in my friends who are learning the sport coming from an Ultimate background. Soooo?
Well I am not and was never an ultimate player and cant attest to any of that. What O do know is the guys O have met with an ultimate background are amazingly smooth and .ake great shots look effortless.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:10 AM

Courses Played: 39
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not to thread jack, but what would some advice be for an experienced disc golfer who wants to try ultimate just to mix it up and maybe have fun getting some cardio?
Old 12-28-2018, 07:29 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 82 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky. View Post
Not to thread jack, but what would some advice be for an experienced disc golfer who wants to try ultimate just to mix it up and maybe have fun getting some cardio?
Staying with DG - mainly due to either squeezing in a round while the wife was home with our kid, or when I'm on a work trip and have only an hour before I need to head back to the airport - I've enjoyed some "cardio" rounds of DG in the past 5 years. Take what you can carry, a few discs and a water, and jog between every shot. Get a full round in amazingly quickly and an hour of exercise to boot.

Caution: if the course is crowded, this doesn't work very well unless the timing of catching and playing through groups is lucky.

Niced: (1)

Old 12-28-2018, 07:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,717 Times in 749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky. View Post
Since you live in Eugene you should have no problem finding a game- I would start with checking for local FB groups.

Niced: (1)