Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 05-18-2019, 10:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 296 Times in 179 Posts

Yesterday I was concentrating on getting to the swan dive finish position like the two sets of panels starting with GG. This morning I could really feel it in my right pec like I had been doing one arm bench presses. I think I remember SW talking about this before in one of the threads. Hopefully it’s a step in the right direction.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-20-2019, 03:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 27
Niced 481 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
I'll take the over on love
So, it was a bit of both!

The comp was on a 9 hole course so, 4 x 9 of the same holes comp. 2 x 9 morning, 2 x 9 afternoon.

Front 9, feeling good, walking it out on the tee, feeling nice and balanced, putts weren't really firing yet but was hitting lines on tight tricky holes, all good. I was 5 down through the first nine. 5 down worked out to about 1020 rated (10 down over the 18 was 1020) . All Good, feeling it.

And then suddenly the self doubt crept it's way in halfway through the second nine not really sure what triggered it, probably the realisation I was playing well! Overthinking appeared (where did my final step go? did I take two or three steps? was I swinging the arm or working around it, what's that? A bird? Did i lock the door to HQ, Did I remember to bring the trophies) , commitment was suddenly not 100%. Back nine ended 1 over with some griplocks messing with my head ( I very very rarely griplock, and this was a tight wooded course so griplocks off the tee were disastrous!) leaving me 4 down which was 950 rated at the end of the 18.

It all went downhill from there and the afternoon round will never be mentioned again.....

With some practice getting this into my preshot routine to cut down on the self doubt I could see it really helping the game.

I read golf is not a game of perfect many years ago, it's probably time for a refresher

Old 05-20-2019, 07:58 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 322 Times in 220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
So, it was a bit of both!

The comp was on a 9 hole course so, 4 x 9 of the same holes comp. 2 x 9 morning, 2 x 9 afternoon.

Front 9, feeling good, walking it out on the tee, feeling nice and balanced, putts weren't really firing yet but was hitting lines on tight tricky holes, all good. I was 5 down through the first nine. 5 down worked out to about 1020 rated (10 down over the 18 was 1020) . All Good, feeling it.

And then suddenly the self doubt crept it's way in halfway through the second nine not really sure what triggered it, probably the realisation I was playing well! Overthinking appeared (where did my final step go? did I take two or three steps? was I swinging the arm or working around it, what's that? A bird? Did i lock the door to HQ, Did I remember to bring the trophies) , commitment was suddenly not 100%. Back nine ended 1 over with some griplocks messing with my head ( I very very rarely griplock, and this was a tight wooded course so griplocks off the tee were disastrous!) leaving me 4 down which was 950 rated at the end of the 18.

It all went downhill from there and the afternoon round will never be mentioned again.....

With some practice getting this into my preshot routine to cut down on the self doubt I could see it really helping the game.

I read golf is not a game of perfect many years ago, it's probably time for a refresher
I hear ya. I, and most players, can relate to those mental issues you were struggling with.

Yeah, as you may recall, there's really a lot in that book that addresses the mental approach to the game and good practical psychological tips to help you work through the fears and self doubt and other thoughts that creep in... I read it last year, but skimming it again yesterday I was thinking, "I should reread this"....maybe make it a yearly thing.

You are clearly capable of playing at a high level, even in competition!
Old 05-20-2019, 10:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 5
Niced 717 Times in 502 Posts

Haha I love it when you post something and I've actually been doing it right!!! Easy win!
1 for 20...
Old 05-20-2019, 10:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 5
Niced 717 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post

Hey Rhatton1 it happens.. I turtled bad in a gale force wind last tournament.. It's a slippery slope when you start doubting. Sometimes it's just not your round, insert crap here about getting back on the horse... remember the good part of the round forget the other shots.

The only thing I've found to break a Bad Funk is scaling down my discs.. If it's getting bad for me sometimes I try just throwing my Comet a couple times even if I need more distance just to get back in the "smooth" groove. It's like a sacrificial tuning drive or two just to get me back to basics and Center my game with what I know best. Or fairway drivers..

Something I don't "think" I have to throw hard, or "think" about throwing.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 05-20-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,653 Times in 1,655 Posts