Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Which of these best describes Hole 18 at the Utah Open?
A par 2 where 38% of throws are errors, and 1% of throws are hero throws. 6 25.00%
A par 3 where 24% of throws are errors, and 33% of throws are hero throws. 16 66.67%
A par 4 where 16% of throws are hero throws, and 23% are double heroes. 1 4.17%
A par 5 where 37% of throws are hero throws, and 21% are double heroes. 0 0%
A par 6 where 16% of throws are hero throws, and 62% are double heroes. 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2019, 01:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,717 Times in 749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
A large question I'm left with after cogitating on this a bit is:

When statistical data does not back up assigned par, is it an issue with the methodology of determining par or an issue with substandard/poor hole design?
Could be either.

IMO TD's have about as much business determining par as waitresses do cooking creme brulee. I realize that it is a necessity from the PDGA's perspective but designers determine par if they are doing it right.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2019, 01:20 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 681
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,493 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
A large question I'm left with after cogitating on this a bit is:

When statistical data does not back up assigned par, is it an issue with the methodology of determining par or an issue with substandard/poor hole design?
A statistically appropriate par value has little to do with hole design quality except for people who aesthetically prefer to avoid Pars of 2 or 6. Scoring distribution and correlation with ratings of those shooting the scores can provide good information for designers to evaluate the statistical merits of a hole's effectiveness for competition.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:40 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 220
Niced 163 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Could be either.
That was my thought, too.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:28 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.3
Courses Played: 355
Niced 1,604 Times in 790 Posts

I’ve settled on a cutoff percentage for my method. I looked at 2,538 different holes for which there was plenty of scoring data, and for which I had both length and tournament par. I found that a cutoff of 76.7% (23/30ths) generated the same probability of getting a birdie (or better) as getting a bogey (or worse) in total across all holes.

Specifically, at a cutoff of 76.7%, if a 1000-rated player plays all 2,538 holes, they would score under par 22.4% of the time, over par 22.4% of the time, and get par 55.2% of the time.

On any given hole, that 1000-rated player would have anywhere from 0% to 59% chance of a birdie or better, and anywhere from a 0% to 71% chance of a bogey or worse, and anywhere from a 9% to 95% chance of a par.

With this cutoff, the chance that any given throw by a 1000-rated player will be good enough to get par or better is 91.9%.

The resulting cutoffs for the % of players who need to get a certain score or better for that score to be par are: 59% for par 2, 45% for par 3, 35% for par 4, and 26% for par 5.

This cutoff value fits within the range I thought was appropriate - based on the idea that par should generate a round rating near 1000. I like that this cutoff value is a specific, optimal point where neither higher nor lower is as “good”.

I expect I’ll stick with this as the cutoff percentage. Not much will change as a result, except I will no longer need to wonder about this parameter.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 795 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
I’ve settled on a cutoff percentage for my method.
I expect I’ll stick with this as the cutoff percentage.
Why are you doing this again?
Old 07-12-2019, 12:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 144
Niced 252 Times in 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Why are you doing this again?
Glory. Power. Riches.

Niced: (3)
Old 07-12-2019, 08:11 PM
Par Delusionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Glory. Power. Riches.
... and the women.

Last edited by Steve West; 07-12-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:42 PM
Par Delusionary

Pretty nice job by DGPT - 2019 Great Lakes Open presented by DISCRAFT. A couple of notes.

This shows a course can have accurate Gold pars and still be birdie-heavy.

FPO, while getting pars appropriate for them, isn’t getting the same experience as MPO, as the FPO scores are not as birdie rich.

Attached Images
File Type: png GLO2019Bars.png (26.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 07-13-2019, 12:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 144
Niced 252 Times in 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Pretty nice job by DGPT - 2019 Great Lakes Open presented by DISCRAFT. A couple of notes.

This shows a course can have accurate Gold pars and still be birdie-heavy.

FPO, while getting pars appropriate for them, isn’t getting the same experience as MPO, as the FPO scores are not as birdie rich.

15 makes COMPLETE sense. I don't expect that hole to consistently challenge gold players. Did the new OB make the hole harder or easier? I feel like it could have made it easier, by eliminating players really pushing the fairway leaving guys playing like the blue level players do at AmNats, where it's still one of the must-get par 4s.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:24 AM
Par Delusionary

Quote:
Questions of definition:
I'll throw out some thoughts.

Quote:
Expert disc golfer: as I understand it, this is typically taken to be a 1000-rated player, correct?
“Correct” might be too strong of a term, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of resistance to getting on board with a 1000-rated player being a useful and commonly understood interpretation of expert.

Quote:
Errorless play: this is where things get odd and tricky, in my opinion. First, what is an "error"? Does it consider an "error" a throw that hits an obstacle? A missed putt? How about a poor shot placement-wise, that doesn't give a reasonably open look for the next shot? Is that an error? This is, again in my opinion, where the PDGA rule for establishing par could benefit greatly from a reworking.
It would be extremely difficult to pin down which particular throws are errorless. However, I think it is a lot easier to identify the score the player expects with errorless play.

When players come back after a round and say “I left four throws out there today”, that means errorless play would have been four throws better. They might think it was the four putts they missed on those holes, but it might actually have been the result of bad upshots, or being a tiny bit off on three throws in a row, or any combination of full or partial errors.

They might not identify which throws had errors, but they know the score they should have gotten on those holes.

Fortunately, there is no need to look at or define anything at a more detailed level than the score.

Quote:
Ordinary weather conditions: It would probably be useful to have a good definition for this as well. My main question concerns whether (no pun intended) or not "ordinary weather conditions" refer to ordinary conditions ON THAT COURSE SPECIFICALLY, or is there one generic, across-the-board "ordinary condition," such as sunny, 70-degrees, with no wind, and a certain choice degree of humidity? In other words, is this a course-specific "ordinary weather conditions" or is there a general weather condition considered "ordinary" across all courses? I'm assuming it's course-specific, but I'm not certain of how this is interpreted and implemented in practice.
Course-specific. On the windward coast of Hawaii, calm would be non-ordinary, as would winds from the other direction.

I’d say ordinary is anything that didn’t noticeably mess with the scores normally seen on the course. If you can't tell if it's extra-ordinary, it's ordinary.

Niced: (1)