Old 04-18-2017, 08:57 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,096 Times in 737 Posts

Yeah im not aware of 200+ acre parks with design issues that impact other users. Smaller ones packed full of stuff already with no bird watching? Sure.

People are not good at sharing. I mean less than 10% of total park space? Dohkay!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 131
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 193 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Yeah im not aware of 200+ acre parks with design issues that impact other users. Smaller ones packed full of stuff already with no bird watching? Sure.

People are not good at sharing. I mean less than 10% of total park space? Dohkay!
My home course is 18 holes, well regarded (Knob Hill, Pittsburgh) and is only 150 some acres. Add 75 acres, enough for a full 18 hole course, usually, and you have this park...
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 86
Niced 1,500 Times in 628 Posts

Maybe another approach to these asinine NIMBY's is to ask them publically, "Can you share this park with us?" and "Where do YOU think would be an acceptable spot in the park for a DG course?" and then when they say "No" and "nowhere" look to the park commission and say, "well, at least we're willing to compromise and work with them for a solution." It may not get a course installed but it will at least shine a harsh light on their truly selfish nature.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,155 Times in 1,420 Posts

But maybe they're right.

Not about the danger---that's likely a trumped-up tactic---but the appropriateness. I have no idea, not knowing the particular park.

There's a lightly-used 276-acre park about 10 miles from me, with such terrain that you could build a course that would get a 4-rating without baskets. But I know better than to ask; its best use is as a natural area, all of it.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:05 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 691
Niced 1,494 Times in 676 Posts

A Championship gold level course usually needs less than 30 acres depending on how wooded the property may be. A blue level city type course might need around 20 acres.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 AM
FROLF OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
But maybe they're right.

Not about the danger---that's likely a trumped-up tactic---but the appropriateness. I have no idea, not knowing the particular park.

There's a lightly-used 276-acre park about 10 miles from me, with such terrain that you could build a course that would get a 4-rating without baskets. But I know better than to ask; its best use is as a natural area, all of it.
Unless there are tons of protected species a DG course doesnt seem to impact wildlife much if at all. We actually are providing easy trails to navigate for the majority of them and often also clean up invasive plants etc upon installing a course. Also if done right should pay/give back etc to other parts of the park to improve the overall experience for all users.

I have seen so much wildlife out playing DG it is pretty crazy. Not to mention the natural growing veggies, fruit, flowers and fungus.

There are regularly turkey deer tons of flying whatever from squirrels eagles owls to woodpeckers and bats. The bunnies ducks and geese are planning a full force takeover of DG courses.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Seeing the wildlife that adapts to high levels of human activity isn't the same as a relatively intact forest---biologically or aesthetically.

Don't get me wrong---one of the things I love about disc golf if the interaction with nature. There should be parks with heavy human use, and parks with light human use. Some parks are better for one or the other; some suitable for both.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:00 PM
FROLF OFF!

David FWIW this park already features:
Features

Amphitheater
Hiking Trails
Nature Center & Astronomical Observatory
Organized Group Camping Area
Picnic Areas
Scenic Overlook
Details

Things To Do at Rifle Camp Park
Rifle Camp Park, located adjacent to Garret Mountain Reservation, is a major recreational component of the Passaic County park system. Here, residents can picnic and commune with nature, and utilize fields for a wide variety of athletic activities. The park also features an amphitheater. Rifle Camp Park contains the John Crowley Nature Center and Astronomical Observatory. The nature center is staffed by a full-time naturalist and the observatory is open for public viewing on selected dates during the year.

The opportunity to commune with nature at Rifle Camp Park extends to the nature trails and for area scouts, the overnight camping facility with campfire ring and lean-to's. The Park also includes a senior accessible picnic area.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Thanks, AIM. I hadn't looked into it---so admittedly had no idea. Certainly sounds like a place where 20 or 30 acres of disc golf, not conflicting with other park patrons, would be an appropriate fit.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.1
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 171 Times in 91 Posts

'Land Use' decisions ultimately boil down to ethics.

While many of the replies here are quite predictable (duh, disc golf site), I find the others' underlying rationales and their frameworks used to build arguments in these matters very telling.

In my personal experience, I've seen a few courses yanked for smaller conflicts than this one and as it turns out, everyone was better for it in the long run. As we can see in this country's current political climate, consensus building is no small task...