Old 06-09-2020, 07:48 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 86 Times in 50 Posts
Default Cost of lost discs vs green fees

Anyone else find themselves justifying leaving a lost disc a bit early thinking it is still cheaper than ball golf fees?

I've played 42 rounds this summer so far, and have lost 5 discs. I wish I didn't lose them, but that is $1.79 per round of disc golf. Sure beats the heck out of $15 or whatever it is these days to play ball golf.

But I also find myself perhaps not looking for as long as I should be for a disc with this attitude. For instance, today I barely looked for 5 minutes but a big factor was also a wet, tick-infested tall grass/forest area making the search a bit harder.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:48 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 280 Times in 129 Posts

To me, the pain of losing a disc is never about the monetary value (since they're cheap). Some of the discs I carry could be easily replaced by buying a new one. But there are others that I have thrown for years, and have broken into such a specific flight pattern that I couldn't easily replace them.

When you throw a disc for a while, you gain more trust in it. That trust in knowing exactly what your disc will do is irreplaceable.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:59 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 36
Courses Played: 186
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 185 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
To me, the pain of losing a disc is never about the monetary value (since they're cheap). Some of the discs I carry could be easily replaced by buying a new one. But there are others that I have thrown for years, and have broken into such a specific flight pattern that I couldn't easily replace them.

When you throw a disc for a while, you gain more trust in it. That trust in knowing exactly what your disc will do is irreplaceable.
If I were a better player, I might feel some of that pain. However, I am cheap, so I feel pain whenever I lose a disc and will look way longer than I should.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-09-2020, 09:08 PM

Niced 7 Times in 3 Posts

Losing discs is littering, pick up after yourself.

No man left behind

Niced: (3)
Old 06-09-2020, 09:16 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 280 Times in 129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclay View Post
If I were a better player, I might feel some of that pain. However, I am cheap, so I feel pain whenever I lose a disc and will look way longer than I should.
That's funny. I generally also look way longer than I should. I'm cheap too, but I guess I'm less cheap in the cost of replacing a disc, and more cheap in the time it takes to find an accurate replacement.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 4,946 Times in 1,939 Posts

If I were paying greens fees in discs---as in the example, 1 disc buys 8 rounds---I'd pay those greens fees with Grooves and Dragons, and not my favorite driver.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 3,785 Times in 1,334 Posts

I try to spend little time comparing golf to disc golf. Though....I might justify walking away from a lost disc, because I have hundreds more at home.....heck, in the truck for that matter.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.2
Niced 99 Times in 61 Posts

Money doesn't enter into the equation. I have sacrificial discs, (had give away discs till they went OOP) and go to discs. My go to-s are grieved over when they are lost or damaged beyond use. The rest are just plastic. (FWIW my American flag Polaris is in a lake in AR. It was the best Polaris I ever threw. So much so that I relegated it to "safe" shots. I lost it almost 20 years and still miss it. Effen wind!)
Old 06-11-2020, 09:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 474 Times in 248 Posts

I can't just abandon one of my soldiers and leave it in a field

Old 06-11-2020, 11:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 41
Niced 782 Times in 474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWimp View Post
Anyone else find themselves justifying leaving a lost disc a bit early thinking it is still cheaper than ball golf fees?

I've played 42 rounds this summer so far, and have lost 5 discs. I wish I didn't lose them, but that is $1.79 per round of disc golf. Sure beats the heck out of $15 or whatever it is these days to play ball golf.

But I also find myself perhaps not looking for as long as I should be for a disc with this attitude. For instance, today I barely looked for 5 minutes but a big factor was also a wet, tick-infested tall grass/forest area making the search a bit harder.
Yep. Like others have stated, there are a few discs in my bag that would be tough to replace due to not having anything else beat in quite the same. But from a money perspective alone, I often don't care to look terribly long. Like 10 minutes tops. Not worth the time, unless the disc is tough to replace.