Old 02-14-2019, 08:51 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 256 Times in 160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLaForce2002 View Post
Orion’s comments above make wonder... How many molds is enough for one manufacturer? Setting aside two factors: new plastics and marketing, how many more molds before Axiom (my personal preference) has enough? Is it 3 discs per speed class (US, SS, OS)? Is speed class a good proxy (sorry couldn’t help it) for arm speed or is that yet another multiplyer? I try to buy 3-5 of a given mold for field work even though only one might go on the course, and my fun money budget is already overwhelmed; and I haven’t got into the higher speed classes or the very OS molds. Yikes!
By "enough," do you mean enough to sustain a viable business or enough that your touring pros can compete on the national scene throwing only your discs?

As for business, I've got to think that you don't really need much if you're content being a niche company. Like Gateway for example. They have one of the most popular putters in the game, and a handful of other putters that are solid in their own right. But I've never seen a single non-putter mold of theirs in the wild. And Gateway seems to embrace their location in the market, since they'd rather focus their efforts on developing a 79th putting plastic blend rather than a new fairway driver.

As to the other question, I'd think 4 molds per class minimum would be required to compete at a high level on tour. Sure, eventually the pros will beat the snot out of their discs and can create cycles out of their OS molds. But initially they will likely need OS, stable, US, plus something utility OS for flicks and such. But then again McBeast seems to be honing in on a small # of Discraft molds already, so what do I know. I've got very little in common with guys that shoot -18 and throw 550+.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-14-2019, 09:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 161
Niced 1,239 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
By "enough," do you mean enough to sustain a viable business or enough that your touring pros can compete on the national scene throwing only your discs?

As for business, I've got to think that you don't really need much if you're content being a niche company. Like Gateway for example. They have one of the most popular putters in the game, and a handful of other putters that are solid in their own right. But I've never seen a single non-putter mold of theirs in the wild. And Gateway seems to embrace their location in the market, since they'd rather focus their efforts on developing a 79th putting plastic blend rather than a new fairway driver.

As to the other question, I'd think 4 molds per class minimum would be required to compete at a high level on tour. Sure, eventually the pros will beat the snot out of their discs and can create cycles out of their OS molds. But initially they will likely need OS, stable, US, plus something utility OS for flicks and such. But then again McBeast seems to be honing in on a small # of Discraft molds already, so what do I know. I've got very little in common with guys that shoot -18 and throw 550+.
idk when we got some chucker "team" players on here all saying they prefer to bag 7s and 12s over just a 9 it further makes me wonder the intelligence and general common sense of disc golfers especially when they both claimed to be about mold minimization
Old 02-14-2019, 10:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 368 Times in 261 Posts

Yeah I remember reading about the absence of a true speed 12 Disc.. I suppose there's a gap there and the speed 10... but for me its just filling in gaps that I don't care about. They've been trying pretty hard to build more OS mids and putters... there's the famed gap between Wave and Photon...

Personally I'd like to see MVP produce some proton versions of their fairway drivers.. Relay!!

Disc golfers will do what they do, I play against guys that throw drivers on 200' holes and can kick ass.. One guy putts with a Beast.. And he's always a contender.. Drives me nuts, got him a Buzzz and a Zone and all he wants is a Beast.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:51 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
there's the famed gap between Wave and Photon...
I'm one of those guys that complained about the gap a lot, but honestly it wouldn't be a problem if gyro made a midline plastic to beat in. But their plastics are just so durable that it's really tough to bag a fresh/seasoned combo of the same mold, unless you've been throwing the seasoned one for a few years.

So really now that I think about the original question more, the number of molds needed is partially a byproduct of how many plastic types are offered and the relative stability/durability difference of those plastics. The nice thing about gyro is that their molds seem remarkably consistent so it's easy to buy one and know what flight you're going to get. That's also kind of a negative, since it's more difficult to just buy the same disc in multiple plastics to cover multiple slots. Anywho, Thursday morning musings.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:16 AM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 26
Niced 106 Times in 63 Posts

The only discs i'd still like to see from MVP are:
- a -1 turn 3 fade distance driver speed 11-13ish like a wraith and destroyer (which sounds like they already have it in the works)..
- a 0 turn 2 fade fairway driver similar to a teebird (something like a servo without the turn would be great)..
- and maybe a putter even more beefy than the Envy, a real tanker maybe something like a zone

I cant really think of anything else they dont already cover (for my play-style personally).

the thing is there are certain plastics and runs of Octanes for example that fly EXACTLY how i want but new runs arent the same as the FR i had..

i also have photons that vary from 0 turn 3 fade and beefy and then some that are -1 turn but not enough fade at the end to be like a 3 fade rating.

also, i have a slightly higher PLH servo that out of the box is laser straight 0 turn and 2 fade.. exactly what i want but thats not the "normal".. i have another servo that was -2 turn out of the box and they are both Neutron just different colors/plh

So maybe we need more variation in different plastics from the molds they already have available, I would be happy either way! I just want it easy to find the flight im looking for, not exactly happy about needing to buy 3 discs to find one that flys how i want.

Last edited by in4d; 02-14-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 161
Niced 1,239 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4d View Post
The only discs i'd still like to see from MVP are:
- a -1 turn 3 fade distance driver speed 11-13ish like a wraith and destroyer (which sounds like they already have it in the works)..
- a 0 turn 2 fade fairway driver similar to a teebird (something like a servo without the turn would be great)..
- and maybe a putter even more beefy than the Envy, a real tanker maybe something like a zone

I cant really think of anything else they dont already cover (for my play-style personally).

the thing is there are certain plastics and runs of Octanes for example that fly EXACTLY how i want but new runs arent the same as the FR i had..

i also have photons that vary from 0 turn 3 fade and beefy and then some that are -1 turn but not enough fade at the end to be like a 3 fade rating.

also, i have a slightly higher PLH servo that out of the box is laser straight 0 turn and 2 fade.. exactly what i want but thats not the "normal".. i have another servo that was -2 turn out of the box and they are both Neutron just different colors/plh

So maybe we need more variation in different plastics from the molds they already have available, I would be happy either way! I just want it easy to find the flight im looking for, not exactly happy about needing to buy 3 discs to find one that flys how i want.
they havent listened to us yet about a zone clone stop wasting your finger strength they are deaf to the word of the people

Old 02-14-2019, 12:02 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
I just want it easy to find the flight im looking for, not exactly happy about needing to buy 3 discs to find one that flys how i want.
Interesting. My gyro experience is much more limited, but I've found the MVP/Axiom discs that I own multiples of to be remarkably consistent. 6 Envies all pretty much the same out of the box. 5 Waves, with the plasmas flying the same as each other and the non-plasmas all flying just a touch more stable than the plasmas. Those are really the only core gyro molds I bag, but at least when it comes to Waves and Envies the consistency is incredible.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 681 Times in 382 Posts

Quote:

Already done. Crave.

I have tossed Neutron Craves back to back with a TeeBird several times. All landing within 5 feet of the other. That's within my margin of error.

Crave is easier to control on tight lines as it had a bit less lateral movement in the HSS portion of the flight.

Niced: (3)
Closed Thread