Old 11-01-2019, 01:51 PM

Years Playing: 41.3
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 39 Times in 15 Posts

Actually, I find it diminishes the power of the add quite a bit. When ever I see that image I can't help thinking: why didn't they use an actual Native-American? the guy's Italian-American.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2019, 02:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,812 Times in 740 Posts

So this happened near where I live:

Grace Lutheran Opens Disc Golf Course

Old 11-02-2019, 06:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,370 Times in 2,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Check out dude's costume on Let's Make a Deal...

Story about the guy in Ultiworld...

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2019/...ets-make-deal/

Yo Dave... where's your Ultiworld story... Basket of death and destruction sounds like a Pulitzer to me...

Old 11-02-2019, 09:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,812 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Story about the guy in Ultiworld...

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2019/...ets-make-deal/

Yo Dave... where's your Ultiworld story... Basket of death and destruction sounds like a Pulitzer to me...
Lol let me get v4.0 in the air first

Old 11-03-2019, 08:56 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 165
Niced 115 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Check out dude's costume on Let's Make a Deal...

They only offered him $3k to turn down a chance at a new car?!? Of course he's gonna take that chance, especially when it got to 50-50 odds!!
Haven't watched Let's Make a Deal in forever, but that seems really cheap!!

CONGRATS!! Disc Golf Guy!!!

Niced: (1)
Old 11-03-2019, 01:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 154
Niced 635 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmay5 View Post
They only offered him $3k to turn down a chance at a new car?!? Of course he's gonna take that chance, especially when it got to 50-50 odds!!
Haven't watched Let's Make a Deal in forever, but that seems really cheap!!

CONGRATS!! Disc Golf Guy!!!
They never show the contestant's faces when they're told how much they are going to have to take out a loan for to pay the taxes and other fees on the car they won.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 61
Niced 139 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmonty View Post
They never show the contestant's faces when they're told how much they are going to have to take out a loan for to pay the taxes and other fees on the car they won.
That brings up a good point. For touring professionals, how do taxes exactly work? If a player wins $2000 at an event, are taxes immediately taken out of that? Or do they pay a lump sum when tax time comes and just considers it as part of their annual income?

I only ask this because when I was 18-21, while going to college, I was considered a self contractor for an appraisal company (it was kind of sketchy how it all worked considering what I was actually doing). The paychecks were nice, but every year I had to pay a lot in taxes, and I never saved anything back. My boss always warned me to save money back with each check, but I was way too naοve to do that. So when tax time came, I was scrambling to come up with money to pay, and I never really knew how much I owed until the forms were completed. And I was constantly procrastinating things, so I would always wait until the last minute to file.

Last edited by puck'n'disc5; 11-03-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,831 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck'n'disc5 View Post
That brings up a good point. For touring professionals, how do taxes exactly work? If a player wins $2000 at an event, are taxes immediately taken out of that? Or do they pay a lump sum when tax time comes and just considers it as part of their annual income?

I only ask this because when I was 18-21, while going to college, I was considered a self contractor for an appraisal company (it was kind of sketchy how it all worked considering what I was actually doing). The paychecks were nice, but every year I had to pay a lot in taxes, and I never saved anything back. My boss always warned me to save money back with each check, but I was way too naοve to do that. So when tax time came, I was scrambling to come up with money to pay, and I never really knew how much I owed until the forms were completed. And I was constantly procrastinating things, so I would always wait until the last minute to file.
No one is deducting and submitting taxes on tournament payouts. It's incumbent on the players to report their income and pay the taxes on it. It's never been something I've dealt with myself, but it is my understanding that the PDGA submits 1099 forms for players that win more than $600 at an event. So it would be difficult for the touring players that are winning in excess of $1000 on any given weekend to hide that income by not declaring it.

If touring players are smart, they're operating as independent contractors and tracking their expenses to file as deductions that will reduce their tax burden at the end of the year.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 314
Niced 2,274 Times in 1,124 Posts

I make a conscious effort to schedule /route my road trips to avoid tournaments, so as to make my casual round more enjoyable, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
If touring players are smart, they're operating as independent contractors and tracking their expenses to file as deductions that will reduce their tax burden at the end of the year.
^ this post has me rethinking that strategy.

*starts playing in Open and Pro Master 50+ divisions... and saving receipts from road trips, discs, equipment and park fees.*
*realizes Lloyd Weema's genius*

Old 11-04-2019, 09:51 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,680 Times in 762 Posts

Perhaps even better to incorporate or create LLC. Otherwise, I think you still have to have net income in at least 2 of the last 5 years to avoid having your "business" considered a hobby. Of course for casual weekend "pros" you could probably put just enough expenses against your winnings each year to breakeven or make a few dollars.