Old 02-04-2017, 01:36 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 10 Times in 8 Posts

Some people are unteachable and best to ignore.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2017, 05:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 258 Times in 114 Posts

After reading way too much of this thread

Old 02-04-2017, 06:50 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 4 Times in 2 Posts

Read as much of this as I could stomach. While I can totally understand OP not wanting this type of attention, I feel like with a self given online moniker of simply "queen" there is a possibility you search for reasons to be offended at every turn. If no one is attacking your personal space, be a big enough person to smile and wave at the person your upset with and move on with your day.

I was at the diner the other day, and the elderly waitress called me honey. It ruined my day. I was so upset that I then went home and made a whiney topic on a random message board.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 67
Niced 768 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen View Post
Haha! I'm really complex between the ears...
I'd say this about sums it up.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-04-2017, 12:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 133
Niced 810 Times in 431 Posts

I'd suggest that the OP is looking for a better way to handle this stuff rather than say "chin up camper and move along"... I'd been an introverted person during the first half of my life... but I found there was an extrovert lurking just underneath. It took some time and a desire to do it, but I was able to bring that out of me... after a while it turned from extrovert to extreme extrovert and now I'm pretty brazen (but still kind-hearted) with everyone I meet. However, if you rub me the wrong way I do have a habit of showing just how east coast I am. Of course I live in the mid-west now and any east coast is interpreted as mad crazy loon running down the street with his pants down...

Old 02-04-2017, 02:16 PM
Licensed to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations.

Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 65
Niced 114 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Strat View Post
.....there is a possibility you search for reasons to be offended at every turn.
.... and made a whiney topic on a random message board.
LOL The irony.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Officially Retired

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 241
Niced 87 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Strat View Post
I feel like with a self given online moniker of simply "queen" there is a possibility you search for reasons to be offended at every turn.

Not only is this pure conjecture but this is a form of male chauvinism. There is this thought process in the male ethos that women are emotional, weak, crazy etc. so it must be on the woman who is getting upset at nothing. This line of thinking is why so many of you deny there is a problem even in the face of multiple first hand accounts of women (and others) who are ostracized or worse.

I had a thread about the same thing except about Gay men dealing with similar discrimination on the golf course and got many of the same responses, e.g. it's on you to deal with it, you're making a mountain out of a molehill, maybe it's in your head, or the classic 'I've never seen it so it must not happen' response.

Quote:
I was at the diner the other day, and the elderly waitress called me honey. It ruined my day. I was so upset that I then went home and made a whiney topic on a random message board.
Apples and oranges first of all. It's not even close to the same thing and the fact that you and others don't get it is alarming. It's not a "random message board" it's a disc golf message board, it's THE disc golf message board. If you want to start discourse on the topic of female discrimination on the golf course what better place to start than a giant disc golf website?!

the fact that ANYONE let alone three people would thumb up your post is shocking to me.

Last edited by sillybizz; 02-04-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 722
Niced 53 Times in 28 Posts

How many years have we been talking about offensive behavior of *some* men in this game? A: Many.
Are lame excuses and post hoc rationalizations still "go-to" defensive strategies? A: Clearly (see this thread).
Have things changed? A: Don't know.
Are women still marginalized and disrespected on the course? A: Conclusively, yes.

First off if you read this and felt your pulse quicken, take a minute to relax.

YOU specifically may not be one of the offenders (in fact likely you AREN'T!). Unfortunately we disc golfers are all part of a culture that is largely disrespectful to female players. This probably isn't unique to disc golf, but it is certainly stronger than other sports I've played competitively. Many subgroups buck this trend, but it is hard to ignore that, on the whole, woman disc golfers are frequently not respected.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 75
Niced 221 Times in 155 Posts

I hate to hear that you felt you had to sell your car (something I assume you owned because you liked it) because of the attention. I have witnessed a similar problem, I used to own an Rx7 (before kids) and my wife got a lot of attention whenever she drove it, at first she thought it was fun, but it got old fast.
I have not read all of the responses to this thread (and after reading a few of the more recent ones I am glad I haven't). I understand the majority of this problem is just the occasional jerk, and generally the disc golf community is one of the most accommodating loving people. That said, I have seen too many guys (usually out of earshot of the couple ladies) be pricks about it, and often the girls are defended buy the others around. I hope the girls if they are unlucky enough to overhear the comments, also overhear the guys defending them. I really hope the communities around you can continue growing more female support and that the boys (choose to not refer to the offenders as men) around you can grow up some.

To the guys who don't see much of the problem I understand you cannot fathom what its like to constantly be treated this way, even if nearly every occurrence is little they sure build over the years. As for the Mountain/molehill reference above mountains usually grow slowly, little bits at a time, but it does not make them any smaller.
/rant of a guy with two sisters, two daughters and a beautiful wife who is sick of this ****. Grow up.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 370 Times in 230 Posts

I'm down voting all the get over it posts.

It's okay to be bothered by disrespectful behavior.