Old 02-04-2017, 11:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,537 Times in 1,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noill Golf View Post
I'd suggest that the OP is looking for a better way to handle this stuff rather than say "chin up camper and move along"... I'd been an introverted person during the first half of my life... but I found there was an extrovert lurking just underneath. It took some time and a desire to do it, but I was able to bring that out of me... after a while it turned from extrovert to extreme extrovert and now I'm pretty brazen (but still kind-hearted) with everyone I meet. However, if you rub me the wrong way I do have a habit of showing just how east coast I am. Of course I live in the mid-west now and any east coast is interpreted as mad crazy loon running down the street with his pants down...
Seems the overwhelming opinion has been that "chin up and move along" IS the best way to handle this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefire View Post
How many years have we been talking about offensive behavior of *some* men in this game? A: Many.
Are lame excuses and post hoc rationalizations still "go-to" defensive strategies? A: Clearly (see this thread).
Have things changed? A: Don't know.
Are women still marginalized and disrespected on the course? A: Conclusively, yes.

First off if you read this and felt your pulse quicken, take a minute to relax.

YOU specifically may not be one of the offenders (in fact likely you AREN'T!). Unfortunately we disc golfers are all part of a culture that is largely disrespectful to female players. This probably isn't unique to disc golf, but it is certainly stronger than other sports I've played competitively. Many subgroups buck this trend, but it is hard to ignore that, on the whole, woman disc golfers are frequently not respected.
Oddly, my wife has been playing for well over two decades and is good looking. She has never been disrespected on a course. Quite the opposite in fact. Most guys we meet go out of their way to make her feel welcome and wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Two sides to every story is a lost art now a days.

The ladies should not have to put up with this "insensitivity" but it is a first world problem.
Yuuuuuuuuppp.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 02-04-2017, 11:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 370 Times in 230 Posts

Maybe move on with life but also try to stop it from happening with a discussion like this.

Is it possible to do both
Old 02-05-2017, 12:00 AM
Officially Retired

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 241
Niced 82 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Oddly, my wife has been playing for well over two decades and is good looking. She has never been disrespected on a course. Quite the opposite in fact. Most guys we meet go out of their way to make her feel welcome and wanted.
I wasn't aware that your wife was every woman that's ever played disc golf. I guess since it never happened to her then it's never happened to anyone. Wonderful logic.

Niced: (3)
Old 02-05-2017, 12:01 AM
Officially Retired

Hey I've never been struck by lightning, guess that's a myth made up by the media. The end.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-05-2017, 12:04 AM
Officially Retired

Old 02-05-2017, 12:07 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 43
Niced 56 Times in 27 Posts

I'm really flattered by the interest and response this thread has generated.

This thread brought about such a discourse. It's helpful to me as an introvert to help set my expectations within the game going forward.

Hopefully I won't be so alarmed when someone surprises me in the woods with mock-encouragent or a cat call down the road. I'm planning to play courses all over the country in the coming months and years, so getting input from the members of our forum has shed light on many different points of view. I don't like being insulated. Alone, yes; insulated, no.

We have to have empathy for each other, confidence as individuals, and "Terminator-like" mental game. All of those take conscious effort and practice. We all have a lot of work to do.

Perhaps when society values women more, more will come out for disc. In the interim, I'll just have to be content as a minority within a minority within a minority. But, now I know better where I stand. And where you stand. So, thank you.

If you need me, I'll be off the fairway blessing out a disc-thieving tree.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:09 AM
Officially Retired

Queen if you ever end up in the Seattle area I would be honored to show you our courses and keep the weirdos away. Before anyone goes there, I'm Gay, Gay, Gay you sicko people!!!! Props on the late Freddy Mercury.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,537 Times in 1,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybizz View Post
I wasn't aware that your wife was every woman that's ever played disc golf. I guess since it never happened to her then it's never happened to anyone. Wonderful logic.
Nope, that is why I attempted to begin my post with oddly. I have no reason to believe that women could be treated poorly. But, I also do not see a much larger cross section weighing in on here either. My intention was to contribute to this thread, with relaying my wife's experience. Not meant to be an affront to you or the entire female gender.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:00 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 43
Niced 56 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Nope, that is why I attempted to begin my post with oddly. I have no reason to believe that women could be treated poorly. But, I also do not see a much larger cross section weighing in on here either. My intention was to contribute to this thread, with relaying my wife's experience. Not meant to be an affront to you or the entire female gender.
She's lucky, tough, or both!! And you two are lucky to share the hobby.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 258 Times in 114 Posts

Edit nevermind not worth it

Niced: (2)