Old 06-09-2020, 01:32 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 31 Times in 25 Posts

Has anybody had an issue with blue Spike it worm dip not taking on a disc? I ordered Chart, orange, blue and lime and the blue wont take at all. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2020, 12:36 AM

Niced 16 Times in 12 Posts

Hey guys, really dumb question and I dont have the time to read through all the pages,

Will Gold Line/Star/Tournament plastic take RIT Dye? Buddy of mine says it won't, but I used to dye lacrosse heads and RIT worked like a charm.

Thanks!
Tv.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 145
Niced 1,178 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyVulture View Post
Hey guys, really dumb question and I dont have the time to read through all the pages,

Will Gold Line/Star/Tournament plastic take RIT Dye? Buddy of mine says it won't, but I used to dye lacrosse heads and RIT worked like a charm.

Thanks!
Tv.
The plastic is good, no issues there.

RIT, it depends. Old rit worked great, then they changed the formula and it didn't, then it did but only certain types and lot numbers. Idk anymore. I think their one that works well now is called like "dyemore" or something.

Just use idye poly.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-25-2020, 08:08 PM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey. Never dyed a disc before so bear with me. I want to turn a disc into pure blue (no tie dye). I can only get the disc I want in either yellow or orange (soft floppy plastic). Is it possible to turn those colors into blue? If so what dye do I use? All my other discs are plain blue so I'd like to keep the same trend for this one if possible.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan27 View Post
Hey. Never dyed a disc before so bear with me. I want to turn a disc into pure blue (no tie dye). I can only get the disc I want in either yellow or orange (soft floppy plastic). Is it possible to turn those colors into blue? If so what dye do I use? All my other discs are plain blue so I'd like to keep the same trend for this one if possible.
When you say soft floppy plastic, what do you mean?

Alot of plastic like that doesnt dye well (Gateway SSS for example)

But get some idye blue, mix a whole pack with like 1 mason jar of water, heat it up till its steaming, and then dunk the disc in. Then just keep checking till its as dark as you want.

The yellow disc will probably end up greenish tho. And orange may be brownish. But typically the dye mostly overpowers the plastic color, so you should be able to get a mostly blue color.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:40 PM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
When you say soft floppy plastic, what do you mean?

Alot of plastic like that doesnt dye well (Gateway SSS for example)

But get some idye blue, mix a whole pack with like 1 mason jar of water, heat it up till its steaming, and then dunk the disc in. Then just keep checking till its as dark as you want.

The yellow disc will probably end up greenish tho. And orange may be brownish. But typically the dye mostly overpowers the plastic color, so you should be able to get a mostly blue color.
I mean Daredevil's plastic called elastic performance...https://infinitediscs.com/Daredevil-Walrus

If that plastic won't hold the dye I may not even bother. I guess the yellow is more likely to turn positive results if it does work tho cause it is lighter.

I want to keep the temp below boiling but enough to steam? Will the dye change the color of the pot? Can I use one that I normally eat out of?
Old 09-29-2020, 09:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan27 View Post
I mean Daredevil's plastic called elastic performance...https://infinitediscs.com/Daredevil-Walrus

If that plastic won't hold the dye I may not even bother. I guess the yellow is more likely to turn positive results if it does work tho cause it is lighter.

I want to keep the temp below boiling but enough to steam? Will the dye change the color of the pot? Can I use one that I normally eat out of?
Yeah, nowhere near boiling is needed, just hot enough to start steaming. I only use the same pan for dye, i dont use one i use for cooking. But stainless steel should be ok id think(?).

I have no clue what that plastic is like, so can't help ya there. It looks like Gstar from the pic but hard to tell. I would guess it works ok.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:05 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 76 Times in 23 Posts

Ive been trying out dying lately with the contact paper stencil method and always find that the adhesive is left on the disc after pealing off the stencil- how do you remove the adhesive without damaging the stencil?

When using shaving cream to get dye across the entire disc surface the discs end up smelling strongly like shaving cream. Are there any ways to get rid of the smell quickly?

It seems prodigy (and maybe others) stamps are slightly cut into the top of the discs and the dye ends up bleeding out of the stencil and running into the indentions and messing up my clean lines. This is after wiping the stamps. How do you avoid dye running outside the stencil?

(all questions based on contact paper stencils with I-dye poly // shaving cream)

Last edited by reezyF; 09-29-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:49 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 59 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reezyF View Post
Ive been trying out dying lately with the contact paper stencil method and always find that the adhesive is left on the disc after pealing off the stencil- how do you remove the adhesive without damaging the stencil?

When using shaving cream to get dye across the entire disc surface the discs end up smelling strongly like shaving cream. Are there any ways to get rid of the smell quickly?

It seems prodigy (and maybe others) stamps are slightly cut into the top of the discs and the dye ends up bleeding out of the stencil and running into the indentions and messing up my clean lines. This is after wiping the stamps. How do you avoid dye running outside the stencil?

(all questions based on contact paper stencils with I-dye poly // shaving cream)
Contact paper does not seal as well as vinyl does. I would use oracle 651 vinyl instead of contact paper .The oracle 651 does not leave as much adhesive residue and if it does I use citrus goo gone
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Goo-Gone...2080/205188196
Lots of hot stamps leave groves in the flight plate and you sometimes cant avoid a run because of them. If you want to ensure a good seal get a blank or a bottom stamped disc.

Niced: (1)