Old 07-14-2017, 12:34 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 74 Times in 39 Posts
Default Two questions about throwing

In the Q&A section, the PDGA says that a kick can be a throw. I've been wondering: can I drop kick the disc? i.e., release the disc (not throw it downwards) and kick it? Do I have to place the disc on my foot, and then do a kicking motion? Do I have to/can I have someone hold it football kick off style?

ALSO - what happens if you throw two discs at once? Like literally two discs stacked on top of each other.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2017, 12:48 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 662
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 842 Times in 452 Posts

I would say "No" to the drop kick and also to another person holding it. Placing the disc on your foot and kicking it would be okay if your other foot/stance was legal. I recall seeing a player (freestyler) loft their disc into the basket off their foot when close enough for a drop-in. I've also seen a freestyler throw a regular Frisbee well with the disc rim pinched between his toes.

I think the proper call others should make when a player throws two discs is to call both practice throws and require player to re-throw one disc as their third throw, assuming the 2-disc throw was made from the tee.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:25 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 179 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
In the Q&A section, the PDGA says that a kick can be a throw. I've been wondering: can I drop kick the disc? i.e., release the disc (not throw it downwards) and kick it? Do I have to place the disc on my foot, and then do a kicking motion? Do I have to/can I have someone hold it football kick off style?
The answer is in the first sentence of QA 29:

Quote:
There are no restrictions on how you throw the disc.
"No restrictions" means "no restrictions." If nothing in the mechanics of a dropkick or footbal kickoff style violates another rule, dropkicking and football kickoff throws are legal.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 72
Niced 25 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstine View Post
The answer is in the first sentence of QA 29:

"No restrictions" means "no restrictions." If nothing in the mechanics of a dropkick or footbal kickoff style violates another rule, dropkicking and football kickoff throws are legal.
is this being interpreted correctly tho? (serious question)
because you are essentially influencing its flight 2 times, which would be illegal otherwise right?

like, you couldnt toss a disc upward, and then punch it forward I wouldnt think
Old 07-14-2017, 02:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 109
Niced 703 Times in 386 Posts

I've wondered these things as well bc in casual rounds I will often slide my foot under my disc and flick it into the basket. Seems legal as long as I carefully set it on my foot instead (tho that defeats the purpose of the kick which is to avoid bending over).
Old 07-14-2017, 02:37 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 662
Niced 842 Times in 452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
I've wondered these things as well bc in casual rounds I will often slide my foot under my disc and flick it into the basket. Seems legal as long as I carefully set it on my foot instead (tho that defeats the purpose of the kick which is to avoid bending over).
It wouldn't be legal even if you put a marker in front of it. The only way to do that properly would be to mark your lie and place the disc off to the side farther from the basket than your mark so you could place one foot behind your mark and then use your other foot to loft the disc from the ground or place it on that foot to loft it into the basket.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 07-14-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,908 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
I don't think the action of putting your foot under the disc and kicking/flicking it is illegal as a means of "throwing" the disc. But doing so without a legal mark would be a violation. Until you mark the lie with a mini, the disc on the ground is the marker. So "throwing" the disc without a mini would be a marking violation. First one is just a warning so technically you can get away with it once per round.

Also, even if you have marked it properly, you are probably still committing a stance violation as the foot doing the kicking is probably off the ground before the disc breaks contact with it, meaning there's no supporting point in contact with the lie. Either you'd have to squeeze your other foot in right behind to get it on the lie, or you'd have to shift the disc off the lie before placing your foot under it and kicking it.

All of which, as you said, defeats the purpose of kicking it in the first place, which is to avoid bending over.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 109
Niced 703 Times in 386 Posts

^ Well, yeah, obviously I would have to mark it. I assumed I didn't need to explicitly say that part.

As for no points of contact on the lie - just kick with your other foot. Mark it, take a straddle putt stance and place the disc on the foot that's not behind your mini. Legal kick-putt now, right?

I've also always joked about other stupid ways to putt that would technically be legal but would look stupid.

For instance, you have a gimme (already marked), and as you walk up to it you do some jukes and dekes then get to the spot and pull up for a fade-away jumper.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:53 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 74 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
^ Well, yeah, obviously I would have to mark it. I assumed I didn't need to explicitly say that part.

As for no points of contact on the lie - just kick with your other foot. Mark it, take a straddle putt stance and place the disc on the foot that's not behind your mini. Legal kick-putt now, right?

I've also always joked about other stupid ways to putt that would technically be legal but would look stupid.

For instance, you have a gimme (already marked), and as you walk up to it you do some jukes and dekes then get to the spot and pull up for a fade-away jumper.
I think you can get some good ideas from this video (never been able to embed YT videos here)

Old 07-14-2017, 06:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 42
Niced 59 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I would say "No" to the drop kick and also to another person holding it. Placing the disc on your foot and kicking it would be okay if your other foot/stance was legal. I recall seeing a player (freestyler) loft their disc into the basket off their foot when close enough for a drop-in. I've also seen a freestyler throw a regular Frisbee well with the disc rim pinched between his toes.

I think the proper call others should make when a player throws two discs is to call both practice throws and require player to re-throw one disc as their third throw, assuming the 2-disc throw was made from the tee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
is this being interpreted correctly tho? (serious question)
because you are essentially influencing its flight 2 times, which would be illegal otherwise right?

like, you couldnt toss a disc upward, and then punch it forward I wouldnt think
Let's look at it another way. If you are standing behind your lie and drop your disc on the ground, would this be considered a stroke? In most cases I would say no, especially if the disc was dropped behind the lie with no forward momentum, and didn't roll off. So if your kicking foot is behind your lie, and you drop the disc down to your kicking foot, why should that be considered an additional stroke? Assuming your other foot is in the correct position behind your marker.