Old 03-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 46 Times in 36 Posts

^^ Holy crap. Thank you for the long response. Any helpful links are great because the only internet I really have is on my phone.

Thank you for the gateway insite. I agree that for only driving a little firmer disc would maybe nice. Though I do like the softness of the discraft putters I have, their grippyness is what I really love.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 01:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 174
Niced 18 Times in 9 Posts

There are some good tips about driving with putters here:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=59538

And more can be found easliy by searching (you can do that with google using the function <search term> site:dgcoursereview.com).

More info about Gateway's plastic can be found here:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=19736
Old 03-15-2013, 02:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 43
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

I suggested the speed ten since he likes his beast so much.

However, I'd say Eagle over Banshee. Unless you're frustrated in wind.

Eagle or Teebird. Or both. They'd be great drivers -- the Teebird seems to be the longer of the two, traditionally. You can rip on them.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinkecm View Post
I suggested the speed ten since he likes his beast so much.

However, I'd say Eagle over Banshee. Unless you're frustrated in wind.

Eagle or Teebird. Or both. They'd be great drivers -- the Teebird seems to be the longer of the two, traditionally. You can rip on them.
The Eagle is good, but a DX Eagle won't be much more overstable than his Champion Leopard. I only suggested the Banshee and Teebird because they remain stable in DX. DX Eagles are great, but they aren't really that overstable. If he got a premium plastic eagle, though, it would be nice and overstable.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Thanks yall. I wouldn't say I love my beast, it just is the disc I go to when I need to throw overhand or forehand, which maybe makes up 10% of shots in a normal round. The only drivers I really would wand to stay with would be the surge and sidewinder.

My plan going forward is to try to pick up a comet, Buzz and wizard. Hopefully the comet wont frustrate me too much. I know my form needs the work
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskew113 View Post
Thanks yall. I wouldn't say I love my beast, it just is the disc I go to when I need to throw overhand or forehand, which maybe makes up 10% of shots in a normal round. The only drivers I really would wand to stay with would be the surge and sidewinder.

My plan going forward is to try to pick up a comet, Buzz and wizard. Hopefully the comet wont frustrate me too much. I know my form needs the work
If I were you, I wouldn't keep the Surge. I think it would be more valuable for you in the long run to learn how to throw your Leopard. However, if you feel like you just can't part with your Surge, then who am I to tell you otherwise?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

I see what you're saying. Thanks again for helping a n00b hack like me

Old 03-31-2013, 02:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

So I'm updating this because I've made changes to my bag and want to keep this thread current and share my observations. My current bag is set up to make me fix the major issues I have/ had with form/ consistency which will hopefully lead to more distance off the tee.

Current bag is:

Drivers:
167 dx leopard- 9/10; main control driver; ever so slightly understable; probably my form
175 champ leopard - 7/10; slightly more overstable
171 star tl - 8/10 max distance; fairly stable

Mids:
168 x comet x2 -9/10; main mid; understable-stable; 1 for playing/ field work, 1 for practice only to start
175 ti Buzz- 9/10; slightly overstable-stable ; low ceiling
177 neutron axis - 9/10; stable; only use the comets more because they show flaws a little better; favorite disc to throw

Putters:
No changes. I do find myself throwing the focus a lot more. Axis and comets have been equally successful except when the comet glides too much.

I've been doing field work for at least 30-45 mins daily for the last 2 weeks and played at least 2 rounds a week. Found Mike c's videos on youtube and things just kinda clicked. Thanks bro. Oat remains my biggest problem but is much more controlled by powering down. Field work with putters only has helped a lot also.

I really like where my bag is headed with the drivers/ midrange. Played my 1st under par round at my home course in way too long. What i feel I'm lacking is overstable disc and locking down my putters. I plan on picking up neutron vector, shock, and ions. I can completely see having an all MVP bag. Right now I'm 50/50 between the avair and focus for putters. Avair feels better for drives, but my focus has really been treating me well and I like its bead. The innova plastic also just isn't as soft/ grippy as the discraft soft plastic. Seems an ion in soft and an anode in med would fit what I want. I really like the comet. Considering a z to gain a little stability to go straighter.

Thoughts?