Old 08-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 46 Times in 36 Posts
Default New bag, New thread

I have been hitting it hard this summer and seen tremendous progress since joining the sight. Distances, and more importantly accuracy have increased.

My distances right now are 250-325' with drivers, 230-280' with mids, and about 225' and in with putters. Those are on course distances and obviously are indicative of the lines I may need to shape. I threw 100% backhand until a few weeks ago and currently it's about 85-90% backhand. Getting better at forehand has opened a whole new array of lines and I'm committed to getting proficient. I don't throw high speed stuff because with the exception of a handful of holes they arn't really needed at the courses I play. Not going to consider them until I consistently hit mid 300s with what I have.

Bag: Charcoal DD Ranger. A welcome change from my Innova deluxe.

Discs with a * are not always bagged

Putters:
173g Hard Judge: Approach and long putts. Some off the tee
176g Opto Pure: Tee shots and approach
176g Hard Judge: Putting only
173 ESP Zone: OS/ Utility

Mids:
175 Neutron Tensor: OS/ Straight with dependable fade
173 VIP Warship: Stable/ Straight with slight fade. Tons of glide.
*177 Neutron Vector: Stable/ Wild reliability/ Flicks
173 Neutron Tangent: Slightly US/ Straight with little fade/ slight turn
170 VIP Tursas: US/ Good turn/ Hyzer-flips

Drivers:
173 Neutron Shock: OS driver
*175 Neutron Volt: Stable/ S-lines

My other drivers are in a state of flux currently. I was throwing a DX Teebird that was nicely seasoned but lost it after a tree hit and odd bounce. Was really liking it. Have been trying to replace and been unhappy with the plh/ dome on the other 'birds I've found. Too inconsistent. I did find one and it's been working nicely for flicks but not so much backhand. I really like the feel of the Swedish stuff so I'm trying to work more in. Here's what I'm trying:

170 GL Saint: Almost a drop in for my lost TB but with a little more glide. Very nice. May replace the Volt once it breaks in.
174 Lucid Escape: Stable with decent fade. Really easy to crank on and know what it's going to do. Hope it loses some of the fade as it wears.
174 VIP Northman: Wanted to try something a little faster. Really like it. Curious to see what I can do with it after some more work.

As far as my US drivers I was throwing a DX 170 Leo. It beat in to sweet spot but it's on the backside of that now. Kinda unreliable. Picked up a Pro but it's going to need some beating in. Had an Amp but wasn't completely sold on it. Picked up a VIP Underworld that's getting a good going over currently.

I'm happy with how my bag is shaping up. I'm not completely sold on the Tensor as its not quite as OS as I had hoped. Thinking about trying a Pain or Drone. Also thinking about a putter for off the tee that has a little more fade on the end. Maybe a Sinus?

I feel like I carry too many molds but with the courses around here it's nice to have options for the different lines that present themselves. I feel the lines I can hit are different enough and some discs are more successful forehand vs backhanded. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by jskew113; 08-03-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Stupid auto-correct. Should be site, not sight, haha
Old 08-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 6
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

I would try this setup:

Putters:
Judges
Pure -drives
Zone -beefy

Mids:
Drop 1 or 2 of your less-used molds

Drivers:
go Shock Volt and Amp
Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

^Thanks for the feedback

My putters are pretty much on lock. I do exactly as you suggested with decent results. I'm satisfied.

I'm happy with the Warship/ Tursas combo, just not sold on the OS mid slot. Flight on the Tensor is good, but I'm just not sold on it 100%. I like the glide it has but sometimes it stays too straight. My tensor is a 175, but I feel a max weight proton could be what I'm looking for, if MVP decideds to make them. I feel between the Zone and Shock I can cover most lines. OS mid is admittedly the most open part of my bag.

The Shock is great. Really like it for its slot. Saint has been clicking nicely. Really easy to throw straight in the 300' range without full power. It reminds me of a good TL with more glide in better plastic. Really shapes nice lines. The Escape bombs for me. I can put whatever I want on it without any turn. Reminds me of a faster Champ Teebird. Fits nicely between the Saint and Shock. The Saint and Escape feel very similar which is a big plus.

The US driver slot has also been giving me a touch of trouble. I've been working a lot on my forehand so it kinda makes the slot less vital. VIP Underworld has been working ok but I need more time with it.

So basically:
Judge/ Opto Pure/ Zone
Warship/ Tursas/ Tensor
Saint/ Escape/ Underworld/ Shock

Last edited by jskew113; 08-05-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 4.5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use a Discraft Elite Z Wasp for my Overstable Slot in the bag. It has good speed,good glide and it excels at what it does.

The disc flies like a roc,but with more Stability. It has a bead like a Roc,but is lower profile so it feels very nice in the hand.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Thanks for the suggestion.

What does the rim profile on the wasp look like? I don't care for molds that have a concave rim, a la Roc/ Comet. If it flies like a Roc with more stability that sounds like a Tensor.