Old 01-20-2018, 05:57 PM

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 161
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 16 Times in 10 Posts
Default Getting Sponsorship To Improve Course

Im looking for ideas or ways people have successfully solicited businesses for sponsorship to improve a course. My local course has so much potential but no one will take ownership. Id like to step up and be that person but I cant do it without some funding.

It primarily needs a few bridges or walkways, steps on a hillside going to a tee box, and tee signs that are correct to name a few.

I have a few ideas of some people I can hit up for supplies to donate but need to get the local park on board as well as get the guys who help put it in to relinquish control.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2018, 06:10 PM

Maybe this should be under maintenance. If so please move thanks
Old 01-21-2018, 11:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.2
Courses Played: 895
Niced 56 Times in 32 Posts

Do you interact with the LAKERS Sharkbite? If not, check in with them; they may have some ideas for you.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:24 AM

I know most of the old timers is STL and Scott Galvin (prez of STL Club) was my roommate for a while.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:03 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 91
Niced 79 Times in 52 Posts

Sell advertising on tee signs. We asked sponsors to put up $500 a hole to have thier name on the tee sign. My club is a 501(c)(3) so any donation was a tax write off for the business. We hit up local businesses to the course and tell player to support businesses that support disc golf. For bridges and walkways keep an eye on craig's list. Free pallets and people who are tearing down their decks and want the lumber gone can be repurposed into bridges steps and walkways.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 73
Niced 553 Times in 258 Posts

I'm no expert so take this with a grain of salt....

Hold a tournament - or tournaments. I did one this past October and we managed to raise just over $500 after expenses for courses improvements with only 20 players and crappy weather conditions. Be sure to share the vision with the players and seek their input. You don't have to run with every whacky idea a DG'er is going to come up with but at least they know you're listening and taking them seriously. Be transparent with costs to DG'ers and other donors and where exactly the money is going. A ledger goes a long way to this end. Set goals for how much you need to raise and be sure to share that information. You never know, some Daddy Warbucks type may come along and just write a check for the rest of the money you need.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
Im looking for ideas or ways people have successfully solicited businesses for sponsorship to improve a course. My local course has so much potential but no one will take ownership. Id like to step up and be that person but I cant do it without some funding.

It primarily needs a few bridges or walkways, steps on a hillside going to a tee box, and tee signs that are correct to name a few.

I have a few ideas of some people I can hit up for supplies to donate but need to get the local park on board as well as get the guys who help put it in to relinquish control.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
More thoughts...Be very respectful of the folks that originally put it in. Say absolutely nothing bad about them or the original design. In fact, let them retain control as much as possible (unless there's something toxic going on) but petition the Park board instead for the changes. They are the ones really in control. Approach the changes as something that is needed to improve park usage - i.e. get more dg'ers in there. Be VERY persistent. Based on my experiences you're going to need many meetings, phone calls, emails and so be patient. Maybe approach it with one minor improvement at a time. Let the dust settle a bit from that one item then move on to the next one - not sure if that'd be the right approach for your situation or not.

-Dave
Old 01-22-2018, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.2
Courses Played: 230
Niced 681 Times in 323 Posts

Of course....be sure you have the parks system on board. Many have rules and regulation as to what can be done in the park and who can do them. Bridges may have to be ADA compliant.....

Niced: (1)
Old 01-22-2018, 12:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 40 Times in 27 Posts

As Ru4por stated: check with your parks department first. We aren't allowed to build any bridges or stairs at our course due to them needing to be ADA compliant.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riltim View Post
As Ru4por stated: check with your parks department first. We aren't allowed to build any bridges or stairs at our course due to them needing to be ADA compliant.
Your parks has no idea what they are talking about...well at least as far as I know lol...but I think there are exceptions to the ADA rule because it is not always feasible to meet the standards. For example, I worked on a street reconstruction project in an old downtown where the buildings were on the side of a hill. There was just no way to make the sidewalk flat enough and still meet the entry points to each of those old buildings. As I recall, the max slope sidewalk can be is like 5% and this downtown street was 10% or something crazy like that. So without leveling about 6 blocks worth of city buildings and excavating millions of yards of dirt we weren't going to get things flat enough for ADA. To get that project built we just needed an engineer to stamp a letter basically saying ADA ain't happening here.

There are parks all over the USA that are no where near ADA compliant so I have to believe there are exceptions to the rule. Now, sidewalks immediately adjacent to new buildings and bathrooms are almost certainly going to need to be ADA compliant but a navigation feature on a disc golf fairway I seriously doubt is going to have to follow the same rules. If it did, you'd never see another new course anywhere - ever. A civil engineer or land scape architect well versed in the laws would be a good resource rather than this parks department.