#301  
Old 04-02-2018, 05:25 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 3,788
Niced 684 Times in 433 Posts
Default

Hey Jamie, do you think Steve is making money? Just curious. If he is, and I suspect not, that makes me view the thing through a lens.

Someone is making money, pay the pros or not. And enough to spread the love a little. I'd love to know the numbers.

As for pro agent representation. Seems like bunk, but ive not read the thread. For a cut, agents represent players to owners. There's no side-man, its a three way relationship. No agent is gonna invest in such unless the money is worth his time. When the money is there players will go to the agents.

Do golfers have agents? Yes, but a better question is, do NASCAR drivers? Yes, but the local driver at the fairgrounds doesn't. Agents don't look at him and say, I can negotiate money from Joe's tire shack or build towards the future. They wait till the money's big then go look at the guy.
Sponsored Links

Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 04-02-2018, 05:54 PM
DanJon DanJon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,206
Niced 440 Times in 227 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins View Post
Aristotle would classify your logical fallacies under Appeal to Ridicule(laughing) and Ad Hominem which is attacking the speaker instead of the argument or statement.

Is there part of the content you are willing to address instead of throwing stones at it and laughing in general.

Soooo, anything posted on April first can’t be considered, please do tell.

Hey, quick question, are you a Philosophy Major?

Asking for a friend.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 04-02-2018, 06:16 PM
bwgort bwgort is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sandy Springs, GA
Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 83
Posts: 274
Niced 79 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins View Post
A three month snapshot is hardly a trend. Go back years to see the big picture. I know folks who got in after the initial run to seven hundred or so then crashed back to the two hundredish level.

We could start a thread investment thread in the Landfill section, no need to isolate a simple analogy and then look at a very small snapshot in time to prove some point.

BTW, I’m invested in silver, anyone want to take the bait on that? My point is, big picture on a trend gives you the best look.

In disc golf, if you want to compare it to silver and bitcoin, we’re at $5.25 silver and $350 bitcoin IMO.
Meaning there is huge room for growth. That is my point, if you need to grab “sound bites” of an analogy for some reason to argue about you missed the point.

Three months does not = trend
You said "no one is laughing at bitcoin." The point of my comment was that there's plenty of people laughing because it's an extremely volatile investment. I think both that and 'disc golf is like a good penny stock' are poor analogies for why people should invest in the growth of disc golf.

I think the for the comparison to make sense, it should be to a sport like, skateboarding, snowboarding, drone racing, major league gaming or other fringe sports that have made it more mainstream (given the lack of growth in conventional sports as you mentioned.)
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 04-02-2018, 06:40 PM
Skins Skins is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Idaho
Posts: 140
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwgort View Post
You said "no one is laughing at bitcoin." The point of my comment was that there's plenty of people laughing because it's an extremely volatile investment. I think both that and 'disc golf is like a good penny stock' are poor analogies for why people should invest in the growth of disc golf.

I think the for the comparison to make sense, it should be to a sport like, skateboarding, snowboarding, drone racing, major league gaming or other fringe sports that have made it more mainstream (given the lack of growth in conventional sports as you mentioned.)
I’ll try harder to use a better, more relevant analogy next time, point taken
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 04-02-2018, 08:14 PM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 3,944
Niced 481 Times in 183 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Hey Jamie, do you think Steve is making money? Just curious. If he is, and I suspect not, that makes me view the thing through a lens.

Someone is making money, pay the pros or not. And enough to spread the love a little. I'd love to know the numbers.

As for pro agent representation. Seems like bunk, but ive not read the thread. For a cut, agents represent players to owners. There's no side-man, its a three way relationship. No agent is gonna invest in such unless the money is worth his time. When the money is there players will go to the agents.

Do golfers have agents? Yes, but a better question is, do NASCAR drivers? Yes, but the local driver at the fairgrounds doesn't. Agents don't look at him and say, I can negotiate money from Joe's tire shack or build towards the future. They wait till the money's big then go look at the guy.
I highly doubt Steve is making money on the DGPT, just my speculation though, no source on this.

IMO if it was found out that he is already profitable in year 3 it would be another PR fiasco. The tour runs quite a bit on favors and "friends and family discount" type deals. Which, to be fair, almost nobody in disc golf is 100% free of that necessity...but if he was pocketing money before making good with his early supporters it wouldn't go over well. Even if he's in the black all that money needs to be re-invested anyway.


Going back to the DG Group, I'm not really surprised that 3 months in there's been no movement. The announcement felt rushed and uncoordinated to me (again caveat this is all just my opinion). The players weren't on the same script, and the owners (who have no track record in this arena) kinda bobbled some easy questions on The Upshot.

I mean the crown jewel of being a DG agent in 2018 would be negotiating McBeth's contract with Innova, but Paul said on Smashboxx that he promised he'd never bring an agent to that meeting...

In the big picture 3 months isn't enough of a timeline to judge success or failure, but it is curious why there was a big push to make this Prodigy-circa-2012 style announcement before the season started if there weren't irons already glowing in the fire.
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 04-03-2018, 12:09 AM
@iDiscGolf's Avatar
@iDiscGolf @iDiscGolf is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: pacific northwest
Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 34
Posts: 3,637
Niced 253 Times in 156 Posts
Default

TLDR. McBeths going to Prodigy?



Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 04-03-2018, 10:18 AM
joecoin's Avatar
joecoin joecoin is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North Central Ohio
Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,742
Niced 220 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins View Post

BTW, I’m invested in silver, anyone want to take the bait on that? My point is, big picture on a trend gives you the best look. ...

In disc golf, if you want to compare it to silver and bitcoin, we’re at $5.25 silver and $350 bitcoin IMO.
Meaning there is huge room for growth. ...
Three months does not = trend
So disc golf needs the Hunt brothers?

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 04-03-2018, 12:54 PM
MikeK MikeK is offline
Supreme Disc Golf Authority
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Orleans
Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 268
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 249
Niced 50 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
So disc golf needs the Hunt brothers?
Might need Enron instead, “the smartest guys in the room”.
Reply With Quote
 

  #309  
Old 04-03-2018, 05:28 PM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 3,944
Niced 481 Times in 183 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iDiscGolf View Post
TLDR. McBeths going to Prodigy?



If we were on Facebook that'd be par for the course in terms of analyzing a post.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.