Old 11-27-2016, 12:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will be helping John in the future to upgrade the existing building's. The RDGA as far as I know will kick off spring 2017. John always has big ideas and has little to no help to realize them. As for the grass not being cut. You must realize this place is huge! Also parts of some courses are not easily accessible to mowers. I am going to do my beast to help John with maintenance of the buildings. But as I live in the Chicago area I am little to no help with day to day maintenance of garbage and grass. He really needs a local guy that can step up and help. John and his place are awesome and I will do what I can to help but he needs more help than I can offer. I think the DG community should step up and do what we can to help or we might one day lose the best disc golf location in the world. Even if all you can do is toss John and extra $20 per visit. I do this every time. He will try to not take it but I tell him "no your going to take it." Just like the iconic thread I started years ago lets PIF!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2016, 01:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,078 Times in 518 Posts

There have been plenty of people who have "stepped up" time and time again.

It usually ends with them getting screwed.

Hopefully your experience is better.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:00 PM
**Stickin'Putts**

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 559
Niced 198 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo69 View Post
I will be helping John in the future to upgrade the existing building's. The RDGA as far as I know will kick off spring 2017. John always has big ideas and has little to no help to realize them. As for the grass not being cut. You must realize this place is huge! Also parts of some courses are not easily accessible to mowers. I am going to do my beast to help John with maintenance of the buildings. But as I live in the Chicago area I am little to no help with day to day maintenance of garbage and grass. He really needs a local guy that can step up and help. John and his place are awesome and I will do what I can to help but he needs more help than I can offer. I think the DG community should step up and do what we can to help or we might one day lose the best disc golf location in the world. Even if all you can do is toss John and extra $20 per visit. I do this every time. He will try to not take it but I tell him "no your going to take it." Just like the iconic thread I started years ago lets PIF!
An extra $20 to John goes into his pocket and not towards the courses.

Your heart is in the right place, but your money is not.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 45
Niced 198 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCritters View Post
About 5 years ago he was looking at selling cabin timeshares on property for $5K a pop.

There's always a lot of big plans going on up there, but most are never actualized.

I'm still waiting for the waterslide that would take you from the basket at 18 on Blueberry back to the "Proshop".
An uphill waterslide???
Old 11-30-2016, 10:51 AM
**Stickin'Putts**

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 559
Niced 198 Times in 82 Posts

LOL. This might have been when there was that basket by the Blueberry Cabin. It was going to go from there to the Pro Shop.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 153
Niced 478 Times in 81 Posts
Default Hook, line, and sinker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo69 View Post
Huge SIGH, and SMH. You know what, instead of an internet breaking dissertation, I'm gonna try another approach:

I'm a private course owner. I have many friends that own private courses. I know the owners of many private courses in WI, MN, and MI. This includes three top ten courses, BRP,RR, and VQ. There's many private course owners on this DB.

None operate under the HB biz model. No one telling "whoa is me" sob stories to motivate people. Or writing checks they can't cash, figuratively, and literally!

The people that I know hire carpenters to do building maintenance. They do the course upkeep work themselves, or compensate people for the help. They pay for their baskets, course design, and mowers. They don't have transient interns that become disgruntled past "employees". They build zip lines, instead of whining about not being able to borrow the money to put in zip lines. They don't start disparaging the PDGA, and a certain PDGA "official" within the first fifteen minutes of meeting you.

However, the most glaring difference is that they have a passion for disc golf, and disc golfers. They actually cater to disc golfers, rather then scheme about ways to separate disc golfers from their money and/or time.

End of the day, there's only one person that needs to step up ...

Old 12-01-2016, 01:51 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 514
Niced 736 Times in 314 Posts

John Jokinen don't frolf, brau.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 132
Niced 931 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
John Jokinen don't frolf, brau.
When we went the first time he was like "I think this might be the year I try playing! It looks like fun!"

I'd love to play a round of Gold with John, that would be a blast.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 49.7
Courses Played: 52
Niced 508 Times in 212 Posts

Looks like Highbridge is up for auction. Anyone have $1.56 million laying around?

https://www.micoley.com/land/68446-M...idge-WI-54846/

Old 12-07-2016, 10:17 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 173
Niced 63 Times in 26 Posts

Is it that time of the year already? The Annual Highbridge is for sale listings.

Niced: (1)