Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-29-2017, 09:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 548 Times in 316 Posts

So I am trying to put together a list with different dates of Innova plastic and markings. I have most of what I need, but would like some confirmation about the dates for when Flight #'s were first printed on the discs and when Pat #'s removed. I know it is around 09 or 10 for Flight #'s but no real idea about the Pat #'s. Also, this may the inappropriate place to post this, so if you can recommend a better place for this post, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2017, 02:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 29
Niced 13 Times in 10 Posts

Different dates for different molds, some still have patent numbers (Leo & Rancho Roc come to mind). For collectors, it's the stamp that usually matters and for throwers, whatever works for you. For example, champ and star TLs got stiff and slick a few years back (some like that, I don't) and now they're flexible and grippy again. I won't buy the stiff era so unless it's a pfn star, which predates the run I don't care for, I'd have to get my hands on it to know for sure.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questatement View Post
Different dates for different molds, some still have patent numbers (Leo & Rancho Roc come to mind). For collectors, it's the stamp that usually matters and for throwers, whatever works for you. For example, champ and star TLs got stiff and slick a few years back (some like that, I don't) and now they're flexible and grippy again. I won't buy the stiff era so unless it's a pfn star, which predates the run I don't care for, I'd have to get my hands on it to know for sure.
Yeah, I know there are some that still have pat numbers on them and you even get some preflight stock that gets released to this day. I am not really talking about that. I am more interested in the majority of stuff. It should be easy to tell with popular sellers like maybe the Boss, Wraith, and Destroyer for flight numbers sense they are produced often. I guess if anyone can tell me if there are any Pre Avery Destroyers with #'? Also, any Avery Destroyers with Pat #'s? This will help narrow the timeline down the best.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 29
Niced 13 Times in 10 Posts

Ah, Destroyers.

Since most ams can't power up a Destroyer that's true to the numbers, they search for the less stable runs. IMHO, a dog chasing its tail.

My 2 cents of advice is get beat to hell Destroyers (they're cheap too) or go with a slower, lighter, and/or a different mold.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questatement View Post
Ah, Destroyers.

Since most ams can't power up a Destroyer that's true to the numbers, they search for the less stable runs. IMHO, a dog chasing its tail.

My 2 cents of advice is get beat to hell Destroyers (they're cheap too) or go with a slower, lighter, and/or a different mold.
I was just using Destroyers as a way of dating the markings, since the mold gets run often and would most likely have plenty of people out there with them. I am not looking to get any per se.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:31 PM
Par Member

Niced 30 Times in 25 Posts

Innova metal flake distance driver, thick rim definetly speed 12-13. Not the best quality of photos but would really love to know what it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MF Top.jpg (114.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg MF Rim down.jpg (74.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg MF Rim up.jpg (112.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 103 Times in 60 Posts
Default This is more confusing than it first appears.

Well,

A lot depends on the mold and or model of the disc and where it was made. As for the patent expiration I believe it was back in around 2012. I have a few disc from tournaments where patent number went missing that year. Not all molds changed at the same time. Patent numbers and flight numbers exist on some molds at the same time to this day.

For example:

I have xCals with both a patent number and flight numbers. I have others with one or the other. New product has no patent number now.

2 line Avery's come with and without patent numbers. I have both. I never seen a 3 line with patent numbers but that does not mean they don't exist.

The DX Stud has both a patent number and flight number and that is a recent disc.

KC Roc I just got, has both. I have never come across a new one that does not have both.

So if you are looking for a disc and a patent number is important, don't start with the stamp, flip it over and see if it's there.

One other item which I believe has impacted when Innova changes its molds or tools or cavities, is the cost. I used to work in that area with my company inspecting injection molded products and we used a company called Nypro. A new cavity(mold) ran us over 100K to produce, so we ran them until to tolerance ran out and we had to produce a new one. I don't know their cost but I expect it is not cheap.

Sorry to add to your confusion. My date is a guess based on a few discs I got during the 2012 season. It was the first year I have any real proof.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
So I am trying to put together a list with different dates of Innova plastic and markings. I have most of what I need, but would like some confirmation about the dates for when Flight #'s were first printed on the discs and when Pat #'s removed. I know it is around 09 or 10 for Flight #'s but no real idea about the Pat #'s. Also, this may the inappropriate place to post this, so if you can recommend a better place for this post, please let me know.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 376 Times in 280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thavoc View Post
Innova metal flake distance driver, thick rim definetly speed 12-13. Not the best quality of photos but would really love to know what it is.
Have you compared it to anything yet? Does it have any penned characters on the back? How does it fly? If I knew more about these I would be able to accurately ID the disc.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:02 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 21
Niced 144 Times in 94 Posts

Found this a while back, haven't seen another. Not sure exactly what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-28-2017, 05:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinntastic View Post

Found this a while back, haven't seen another. Not sure exactly what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That appears to be a Proline Gremlin. That is an out of production midrange from Innova. Later after Innova stopped producing it, Discmania "produced" it for a while. And by "produced", I mean they paid Innova to have Innova do the molding of the disc using Innova's old mold.

This disc was probably from around 2003 or 2004 based on it being Proline, which was basically what Champion plastic was called in the transition period from CE to Champion. This is more about naming and less about the blend of plastic, as most, if not all, the "Champ like" plastic from this era are the same. There were just different names for what it was called. Now take this info with a grain of salt as I was not playing back then and am only passing along info as I understand it.

Niced: (1)