Old 01-29-2018, 12:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,505 Times in 1,592 Posts

It's way more similar in speed/depth to a Wizard than something like an Envy. It also can fly a little bit bulky/beefy if it's fresh and you're powering it down, so I wouldn't worry about it at all on shorter ranges. Edit: Just read you are thinking premium, I have not thrown it in those plastics. But the hand feel/speed will be the same; closer to Wizard type of putter than Envy.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-29-2018, 03:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 480 Times in 307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
It's way more similar in speed/depth to a Wizard than something like an Envy. It also can fly a little bit bulky/beefy if it's fresh and you're powering it down, so I wouldn't worry about it at all on shorter ranges. Edit: Just read you are thinking premium, I have not thrown it in those plastics. But the hand feel/speed will be the same; closer to Wizard type of putter than Envy.
See that's what I expected - a deep dish putter ala the wiz, chally, aviar, any of those. The 3 speed kind of threw me. I actually would not mind a BT hard as classic hard seems to hold up very, very well on judges.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 244 Times in 160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Actually, that isn't true: Shield has the same rim depth as an Envy, 1.4. Fairly shallow.

Wizards are 1.8
Old 01-29-2018, 05:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,505 Times in 1,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
Actually, that isn't true: Shield has the same rim depth as an Envy, 1.4. Fairly shallow.

Wizards are 1.8
I don't trust PDGA specs on putters especially. Here is a picture of a Shield in grey and Wizard in terrible skin tone. They are very similar in size, definitely way more similar than either and the Envy. The Shield is flatter and I would say slightly faster because of it, but not like an Envy.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shield v Wizard.jpg (120.2 KB, 148 views)

Niced: (2)
Old 03-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Looking at picking up a premium driving putter (still). Can someone compare the flight off the tee between premium Shields and P2s? I'm thinking I would pick up an S P2 and a VIP or TP Shield, whichever ones are widely available.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:49 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,001 Times in 1,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Looking at picking up a premium driving putter (still). Can someone compare the flight off the tee between premium Shields and P2s? I'm thinking I would pick up an S P2 and a VIP or TP Shield, whichever ones are widely available.
Unfortunately, both have periods of unavailability here in the USA. But an S-line P2 should hold its flight pattern for a good while, so you may not need to have more than a couple unless the courses you play on just gobble up discs. Trilogy plastic, even their premium stuff, wears in a LOT faster than S-line or C-line.

From my own experiences with both molds, I liked the S-line P2 a lot more for driving and approaches. The P2 is more stable for me than the Shield. But both are good molds, so it may come down to feel in the hand, beaded or beadless, etc.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
snip.
thanks man, people can always rely on you for a good recommendation.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:01 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts

I agree, both are good discs and good putters for driving. I have no comparison in the premium plastic though. Both felt nice in my hand.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:50 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 426 Times in 190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
They are pretty similar for me in terms of flight, but I'd give the edge in stability to the P2. The feel is different for sure. I like the feel of the VIP Shield. It seems like I can manipulate shots better with it. VIP Shield seems to have decent availability; I have seen them in various local brick-and-mortar stores.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

BTW I held a shield and a P2 in BT hard and X-line respectively at the shop yesterday. I just can't do the P2, man. I could get used to it, and I like deep putters, but the depth combined with the beadles edge just feels way too harsh. The shield on the other hand feels pretty nice, so I will likely seek the most stable variant I can find.