Old 11-27-2018, 03:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts

Pick the biggest opening for your line/throw. even if your not as comfortable with it. Dont try to hit a 5 ft backhand gap when there is a wide open forehand gap. Even if your forehand is terrible, it should at least give you some kind of putt, rather than hitting the trees in the 5 ft gap.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2018, 08:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,501 Times in 1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atvizory2000 View Post
Pick the biggest opening for your line/throw. even if your not as comfortable with it. Dont try to hit a 5 ft backhand gap when there is a wide open forehand gap. Even if your forehand is terrible, it should at least give you some kind of putt, rather than hitting the trees in the 5 ft gap.
Exactly, and in practice rounds practice the best shot, not the shot you are the best at.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 252 Times in 103 Posts

I’m an inconsistent intermediate player who only shares this tip because it was shared with me and helped me substantially in tournaments.

Don’t make the mistake off the tee you can’t afford to make.

What that means is say with a 330ft tunnel shot that requires a finishing hyzer to park the guarded (by the tree edge line) basket, the mistake I can’t make is to be short on the hyzer side (pin side). So while that hyzer disc might be best for a low-percentage park job birdie, that disc is also most likely to do me wrong. A straight disc thrown flat successfully gives me an outside birdie look and, at worst, a scramble from the “correct” side of fairway.

I joke that intermediate stands for consistently inconsistent. So I try to invite consistency by trying to avoid the “par save requiring tough scramble” big mistake.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-27-2018, 10:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 5
Niced 699 Times in 491 Posts

Its all good advice... only thing I have to add is if you want to put pressure on yourself play quarter skins with someone or in a three some.. Less people means more pressure, playing with someone you think you may lose to and take your money.. Double that pressure. End up two bucks down after 9? Triple the pressure

Not fun but it creates pressure and stress as requested.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:36 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 503
Niced 736 Times in 314 Posts

The only real way to avoid pressure overload is practice. Those short, touchy shots require tons of practice to master. It's just like giving a speech...the better you know the material, the better you'll do...especially on the finer points.

I go in my back yard and practice like crazy on 100-130' putter shots, from all kinds of odd angles.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:58 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 510 Times in 277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
I go in my back yard and practice like crazy on 100-130' putter shots, from all kinds of odd angles.
Even though he peaked, i agree with this. Practice from bad lies. Practice shots taking a knee. Practice shots on bad inclines. Practice shots when you can't see the basket. Practice uphill and downhill. Practice fh and oh shots. Practice shots that seem impossible.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 27
Niced 474 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post

The other thing that works for me is to be a better putter. When I was putting badly it put way more pressure on my approach, felt I had to stick it within 10 feet or I might miss the putt. Hard to stick perfect upshots especially if they are coming from the rough. When I put in putting work and expanded my range to even 20 feet it took a lot of pressure off of the upshot, just get it nearby and I can make the putt.
^all of this post but especially this bit.

Taking pressure off your approach is key. Realising that you don't have to be under the basket from your scrambled shot suddenly changes everything. You have loads of different spots to aim at. it makes everything easier.

If your putting range is 90% from 5 meters this gives you a really big diameter circle to hit. If you can take that out to 7 meters that circle is huge and scrambling suddenly seems easy, there will be a line somewhere that allows you to get into that circle.

stop thinking about the basket and think about a landing area that is easier to reach and within a confident putting area.

If you hit that area from the scramble even if you then miss the putt at least you did the scrambling bit right.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 216 Times in 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
This for me as well. Most nights when I come home from work I grab a beer and hit the backyard. I have probably 150' max of space where I can throw to my basket but it works for me. I try to practice every upshot imaginable including FH rollers.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:27 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 68
Niced 93 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Are there any effective ways to replicate the feeling of tournament pressure other than playing in tournaments?

Instead of trying to replicate tournament pressure in practice, try to play your tournament round with a casual round mentality. Taking the stress out of a round will help you get over a bad shot here and there. Dwelling on a bad shot or fearing an upcoming shot will only hurt your score.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 26
Niced 391 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Do you play leagues? It's a step down from tournament pressure but a step up from rec rounds. Practice upshots in a field (a park with trees is even better). Make a game of it by trying to land a certain % in a small circle... or play HORSE with a friend and put money on the line.
No, I've never played leagues before. Saturday was my first competitive round. And without getting into details that no one cares about, I've got a variety of responsibilities that make committing to playing leagues for X number of weeks in a row rather challenging. I'm going to to try to start playing a Monday night league this year though.

I like your idea about playing upshot HORSE for cash. I'm a tightwad, so the prospect of losing even a couple bucks would probably be enough to get the blood pumping.