Old 07-05-2019, 02:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,073 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
Can anyone care to explain to me what the allure of the old school Elite X plastic is versus the X plastic of today?

I’ve never had the chance to feel it up in person. Is it more durable, or is it more of a feel thing?

Old Elite X was like good, old Innova Pro Plastic.

Grippy with decent durability.

The new X stuff is just not the same.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-05-2019, 04:44 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,996 Times in 1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
It comes and goes... When I started a few years ago, I only knew of Innova because they made the starter pack I had as well as all the discs I got from a local on Craigslist... And Innova had the cool little pamphlet explaining all of their discs. But when I went to get online help from infinite discs the guy tried to introduce me to something besides innova, and recommended a River. I only found out about Discraft when I was trying to introduce the sport to my students and reached out to several companies and Discraft was the one who really made things happen for us and subsequently introduced me to so many different molds. That's why I like Discraft so much
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshelton View Post
The local pro that used to run the weekly leagues and local tournaments from the late 90s till just a few years ago is a Discraft guy so they were always known and popular around town. Outside of that it seemed like they would have a great disk and they would become prevalent then fade for a few years till the next one, thinking discs like the Magnet, Comet, Cyclone, XS, Wasp->Buzzz, Zone and Nuke.

Back then I always wished they had focused more on the fairway drivers, seemed they had some good ones, XS, XL, Tracker, Stalker, Reaper and a few others but nothing that ever really knocked Leopards, Teebirds, Firebirds out of peoples bags. Just seemed to be a weak part of the line up, mids were the best out there, a good range of putters and distance drivers were good but fairways were lacking. I was really excited to see them start focusing on them a few years back. I think discs like the Mantis, Sting, Vulture and Undertaker may have a done a lot more for them than people realize.

Just my opinion but glad to see them in the position they are in currently.
Y'all make good points. For me, I might've looked into Discraft more if they'd had the four-number flight system to rate their discs. They had that almost useless one-number system that told me next to nothing, so I didn't consider their discs when looking for discs in a certain speed and stability arena.

They also had some pretty horrible colors, though they really, really improved that over the last few years.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Par Member

Niced 106 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Y'all make good points. For me, I might've looked into Discraft more if they'd had the four-number flight system to rate their discs. They had that almost useless one-number system that told me next to nothing, so I didn't consider their discs when looking for discs in a certain speed and stability arena.
15+ years ago when I started and there weren’t the online resources there are now that was definitely a factor for me. I feel like today you can go online and in seconds find dozens of people who’ve thrown any two molds from different brands and get a comparison which makes it a lot easier IMHO to have a mixed bag especially when you’re looking at mids and fairways.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 78
Niced 143 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan C View Post
Scott Papa?
Chris Hysel
Old 07-07-2019, 09:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,033 Times in 607 Posts

Small odd thing. . on Discraft homepage you see this picture.
Why is not the Austin Hannum FORCE in the pic?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg discf.jpg (134.9 KB, 116 views)
Old 07-07-2019, 10:21 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 78
Niced 143 Times in 66 Posts

Anyone else surprised no one snagged the Surge for a tour series disc or is it just a forgotten mold now?

Old 07-07-2019, 01:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 16
Niced 163 Times in 87 Posts

I'm not surprised at all. Who was the last discraft pro to throw / promote the Surge? I can't even remember at this point. It's been years since I have even seen someone throw them on the course.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 655 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkosk View Post
I'm not surprised at all. Who was the last discraft pro to throw / promote the Surge? I can't even remember at this point. It's been years since I have even seen someone throw them on the course.
I know Nate Doss had his name on the ESP Surge a few years ago. I agree, you don't see Surges around much anymore. Too bad, its still a good mold. Nice, mellow speed 11 driver with good glide. I like Surges more than Wraiths.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 16
Niced 163 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I know Nate Doss had his name on the ESP Surge a few years ago. I agree, you don't see Surges around much anymore. Too bad, its still a good mold. Nice, mellow speed 11 driver with good glide. I like Surges more than Wraiths.
Speed 10 and 11's in general are underutilized, and Innova always had the more popular speed 10 and 11 discs, so certainly not surprising to see things like the surge and flash fall by the wayside. It is a bit of a shame, especially since a lot of the people heaving speed 12+ would really benefit from dropping down to a 10 or 11 speed.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 655 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkosk View Post
Speed 10 and 11's in general are underutilized, and Innova always had the more popular speed 10 and 11 discs, so certainly not surprising to see things like the surge and flash fall by the wayside. It is a bit of a shame, especially since a lot of the people heaving speed 12+ would really benefit from dropping down to a 10 or 11 speed.
All I know is that when the Surge came out I tried it and immediately liked it more than the Wraith. Its a tad mellower, and doesn't have as much late fade. I could always get better distance with Surges than Wraiths.

I bagged a Flash at one point too. The Flash compared well to a Beast. Flippy, and fairly flat. Good distance for a speed 10 disc. I guess I agree that 10 and 11 speed discs aren't used much. If it weren't for the Wraith, no one would throw any speed 11s at all.