Old 11-13-2017, 08:59 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,996 Times in 1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Anyone compared the Classic Aviar to the RPro Aviar P&A? If so, can you compare the grip of each and if you can tell any difference at all in the flight path when putting from 60 feet and in? (I'll only be using it for putting)

I have been struggling a bit with my putting using the Deputy (Classic Blend), Pure (Zero Line Med), and 174g Ringer (D-Line)....and a little better than with those with my P2 (D-Line). Today I spent a lot of time on my putting and had good results with the Aviar Classic (DX) 175g and my son's 165g Ringer (D-Line). I would like to find something that has the grippiness of the D-Line (from Discraft) or the Classic Blend (from DD), but with the shape of the Aviar Classic. I thought it was the super thinness of the Ringer I liked but I think with that disc (the 165g version) it's the combination of the thinness with the lighter weight. The Aviar Classic seems to work well at 175g...just wish it was a bit more tacky feeling.

I'm thinking the Aviar P&A in RPro might be the disc that offers a good combination of both.

Thanks for any help!

TripleB
What SaROCaM said. I will add that while going through a number of putters is normal, at some point ya gotta decide on something and then go practice the heck out of it. the good news is you get to have fun throwing discs at baskets during the process.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
If you like the Classic Aviar and just wish it had better grip, all you have to do is keep putting/throwing it.

If you have some sort of winter putting league near you, join that. Or even if you don't, spend the winter using a stack of Classic Aviars to work on your putting, even if it is in your garage or living room.
That sounds great!!!

As I've mentioned in several posts, an F2 tornado completely destroyed my closest course, but luckily the putting area wasn't touched so I've got all Winter and a close by (about 20 minutes) place to practice!

I appreciate the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I will add that while going through a number of putters is normal, at some point ya gotta decide on something and then go practice the heck out of it. the good news is you get to have fun throwing discs at baskets during the process.
Thanks for making me feel like this is a normal process! Yea, even if just putting, see a disc rattle the chains is always a great feeling!

Thanks for the input!

TripleB
Old 11-13-2017, 09:42 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 134
Niced 2,048 Times in 783 Posts

I'll throw in that if you like the feel of a Classic Aviar but want a little bit grippier plastic, an SS or Eraser Gateway Warlock would be an option. An R Pro Aviar is going to be floppy soft, which might not be what you are looking for.

I'd just keep throwing the Classic Aviar, though. The Warlock feels similar in the hand but it is beefier in flight.

This thread is funny since I ask a bunch of questions I know the answer to now. I guess I hadn't found any Classic Aviars in 2014? I've got a few now. They got close to making my bag but got cut in favor of Warlocks. Warlocks have big bead Aviar beef with the beadless smooth release. I can't figure out why more people don't throw them.

If I couldn't get Warlocks I'd be using Classic Aviars. Or maybe Wizards. Damn, there are too many good putters out there!

Niced: (2)
Old 11-14-2017, 03:08 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 426 Times in 190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I will add that while going through a number of putters is normal, at some point ya gotta decide on something and then go practice the heck out of it.
This is true. It is a process of finding a putter that feels good and shows promising results, and then putting in the work to get really comfortable, confident, and consistent with that putter. The latter is what pays big dividends, though feeling like you have the right putter for you may play a significant part in motivating you to put in the work.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:53 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
This is true. It is a process of finding a putter that feels good and shows promising results, and then putting in the work to get really comfortable, confident, and consistent with that putter. The latter is what pays big dividends, though feeling like you have the right putter for you may play a significant part in motivating you to put in the work.
When I started playing, for putters there was the Aviar and...the Aviar? The 86 Softie was around and you could putt with an Aero or a lid, but the Aviar was pretty much far and away the #1 putter almost everybody used. I hated it. It was so deep. I couldn't grip it, it felt terrible in my hand. I tried every other option that was out there to avoid using those horrible, awful Aviars that I hated.

Finally after a couple of years I just decided to suck it up and work on it. Now I hold an Aviar and try to remember why I hated them. They fit my hand like a glove. I can't imagine what I would have done for a putter for the last 25 years if I wouldn't use an Aviar or any of the Aviarish putters out there. It took some work, but it was a great investment of my time.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I'll throw in that if you like the feel of a Classic Aviar but want a little bit grippier plastic, an SS or Eraser Gateway Warlock would be an option. An R Pro Aviar is going to be floppy soft, which might not be what you are looking for.
I appreciate the advice!

I may have found my answer...the Aviar P&A in the XT Pro plastic. It's supposed to be in between the Aviar P&A DX (which I have one of that I liked but found it too slick) and the Aviar P&A R-Pro.

Going out this afternoon to compare my Aviar P&A, Aviar Classic, Ringers, and P2 to see which feels best in my hand and then figure out which plastic to go with in my choice.

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice!

TripleB
Old 11-14-2017, 03:55 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,996 Times in 1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
I appreciate the advice!

I may have found my answer...the Aviar P&A in the XT Pro plastic. It's supposed to be in between the Aviar P&A DX (which I have one of that I liked but found it too slick) and the Aviar P&A R-Pro.

Going out this afternoon to compare my Aviar P&A, Aviar Classic, Ringers, and P2 to see which feels best in my hand and then figure out which plastic to go with in my choice.

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice!

TripleB
Now I'm going to mess with you a bit (in a good way) by saying that if you like these Aviars and their cousins, you might try a Whale in DX or XT plastic. Aviar-ish in shape, has the stabilizing V-tech (and bead that is part of that), which mitigates the finishing fade, and flies for me the most like the Warden of any disc I've come across. Does not feel like the Warden, but putts like it for me. Thank me later for adding to the choices and your confusion.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:47 PM
*Super Moderator*

It's also a whale of a putter.

Somebody had to do it.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-14-2017, 06:04 PM
* Ace Member *