Old 05-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 64
Niced 112 Times in 51 Posts
Default Moonshine Havoc replacement

So,

It seems as though the moonshine havoc is slowly being phased out. I haven't read anything official but, like most discs that go OOP, they just become harder and harder to find. Does anyone have a recommendation of something similar? I've already tried a Shryke and a Renegade and neither of those fit the bill. The moonshine havoc really shined because out of the box it had a lot of turn (a lot) but still had glide and a strong LSS at the end. I also liked the rim shape/width, it felt smaller than a lot of the true max distance options.

Currently I'm playing around with a GL Ballista but that is way more stable and the rim is bigger.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,001 Times in 1,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabay View Post
So,

It seems as though the moonshine havoc is slowly being phased out. I haven't read anything official but, like most discs that go OOP, they just become harder and harder to find. Does anyone have a recommendation of something similar? I've already tried a Shryke and a Renegade and neither of those fit the bill. The moonshine havoc really shined because out of the box it had a lot of turn (a lot) but still had glide and a strong LSS at the end. I also liked the rim shape/width, it felt smaller than a lot of the true max distance options.

Currently I'm playing around with a GL Ballista but that is way more stable and the rim is bigger.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!
You might try a Sheriff; it's in the Havoc's ballpark.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

I tried a biofuzion sheriff and it didn't have near the LSS I was hoping for. I read somewhere that they are notoriously different run to run based on PLH which also kinda bummed me out

Here are the top candidates
MVP Octane/Teleport
Axiom Vanish/Excite
Discmania DD2
or
revisit Tern/Shryke and see if either work

I don't have any real brand loyalty.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:40 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,001 Times in 1,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabay View Post
I tried a biofuzion sheriff and it didn't have near the LSS I was hoping for. I read somewhere that they are notoriously different run to run based on PLH which also kinda bummed me out

Here are the top candidates
MVP Octane/Teleport
Axiom Vanish/Excite
Discmania DD2
or
revisit Tern/Shryke and see if either work

I don't have any real brand loyalty.
The Lucid or Sparkle Lucid Sheriff is more OS than the Biofuzion and Fuzion. I have a Sparkle and it was my headwind disc until I disced down out of speed 13 discs. It's a good disc, but I'd understand if you don't want to give it a shot.

If you're thinking about the Octane, you might look at the Wave, which has a less wide rim than the Octane. I've tried both, and I like the Wave a lot; it might've been my long distance driver except the Tern is just my go-to, there.

I don't know if you've tried the DDx in either S-line or C-line. It's a little more stable than the Tern, and might work well for you.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 960 Times in 631 Posts

Axiom Mayhem or even a VIP King could work.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 942 Times in 522 Posts

I've been interested in trying a Havoc (I dig perfectly flat wings). Didn't think they had that much turn, though. I know Ricky rolls a Gold Line, but I figured it was just a really beat one.

Anyway, if you are looking for an out of box turner, with a very similar profile, (rim width and depth as well) Crank SS. If that turns too much, a plain Crank. Tim Barham has some great looking ones for his tour series, this year and the last.

Last edited by F. Howl; 05-01-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 656 Times in 517 Posts

A Tern or Crank would be the discs I'd suggest. Both have high speed turn followed by noticeable fade.

I personally never liked the Havoc. For me it would turn over and stay there. Sometimes it would turn so bad it would be an unintentional roller.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:50 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 783 Times in 376 Posts

Does the replacement disc have to be in glow plastic? If not, then get another Havoc - in Gold Line or Opto (some Frost Lines are available still too).

I've thrown a GL Havoc a fair bit, and like it for big turnover shots.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

These are all good suggestions. I never jived with the frost/opto havocs and I fear they will suffer the same untimely death as the moonshine. I am staying away from the King for the same reason. I like to go be able to buy 5 of any disc I throw off the shelf, preferably in multiple plastics.

I'll try a crank/crankSS/DD2/mayhem/excite and see what shakes out. Currently the excite is the most...exciting for me.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

I tried out the Mayhem and the Excite yesterday. Oh man, the rim on the Excite is FAT. Also, I had quite a bit of difficulty getting used to the grip of how the overmold fit into my hand.

174 Proton Mayhem - This may actually fit the bill. I only got a few throws in and it wasn't the most open course, but this thing actually had quite a bit of turn on it and consistently had LSS to back it up. I did notice that if I didn't get the cleanest release it seemed to fly much more stable than I would have expected. I also felt like the glide wasn't the greatest, but again, not an open course

174 Neutron Excite - This rim was so fat. Like...I threw Cannons and Rampages for a while and this rim still felt fat. I don't know if it was the grip of the overmold or if it was just that I haven't tried to BH a rim this thick in a while, but I couldn't get over it. All that to say, I think this thing can absolutely bomb. I didn't have much success with it on BH lines but I got some long FH shots in with it that absolutely crushed. It flew more like my ballista than like my havocs but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'm glad I gave some overmold discs a try again, I'll need some open field work before I can truly give a verdict on these but it's a promising start.