Old 12-02-2018, 05:26 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 223 Times in 129 Posts
Default Different Putter Designs

I’ve spent the better part of this year constantly switching putters. Trying to find a putter that feels like the “one”. Every time I do well with a new putter I think I’ve found the “one” but once the honeymoon phase wears off I realize it was just a fling.

I know putters are a highly personal thing. The general advice is to feel as many different putters as possible then pick whichever one feels best. However, that isn’t an option for me because I have no shops near me.

After trying a myriad of putters, most of which I’ve ordered online. I’ve started to realize that most putters are just variations on a handful of designs. I have heard people say that all putters are a copy of aviars or wizards(beadless and beaded). Though I assume this is just a product of the popularity/history of those molds.

This got me thinking. How many unique putter designs are there really? How can you classify a putter design? I would have saved time and money testing new molds had I known the next putter was just going to be another manufacturer’s variation on a classic.

I think it would be cool to have a master resource that grouped all putters with a similar design and hand feel. I know there are some great resources out there like dgputtheads, reading discussions on here, comparing dimensions on infinite etc. but I would love to be able to pull up a list and know right away what style putter a certain mold is.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2018, 05:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts

Bead or no bead. Beveled edge or lid. Bullet nosed or blunt. Shallow or deep. Find out which you prefer in these categories grab a putter and make it work. You can make any putter work for you but you should definitely like the way it feels.

Niced: (3)
Old 12-02-2018, 05:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.5
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 792 Times in 302 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
I think it would be cool to have a master resource that grouped all putters with a similar design and hand feel.
Hand feel makes it more difficult to do what you're asking. All hands are different so what feels right in my hand might not in yours or other golfers.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 27
Niced 404 Times in 246 Posts

That is a tough problem. You're probably best off describing the various attributes that you like/dislike, and seeing if people have suggestions that can get you closer to your perfect putter.

For example, for me the biggest thing was feeling like there was a relatively deep groove to rest my index finger in on the outside rim. Beaded putters are obviously more likely to have that feel, but a really blunt-nosed beaded putter (Wizard, for example) still didn't feel quite right. Eventually I found Crowns, which feel perfect to me. If Crowns didn't exist, I could putt Judges and be fine since they feel very similar.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-02-2018, 10:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 192
Niced 1,634 Times in 950 Posts

ive never understood why people make using a putter such a big damm deal

i prefer the ion but can use literally any putter you just adjust your putt a touch which you have to do anyways if you play somewhere with wind, water, hot, cold, snow, suicide putt drop off, around a tree, and so on
Old 12-03-2018, 02:32 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 306 Times in 174 Posts

I've also read lots of times in here to pick the one that feels best. There is no putter that feels best to me. They all might feel slightly different, but I can't say there's ever been a putter that I've tried that has really stood out as feeling "better" or "worse" than another. Hell, I can't even find any clarification on exactly how you're actually supposed to grip a putter. You can change your grip a million different ways to make any putter feel different.

I'm with elmexdela- it probably doesn't really matter. I say pick something that is known to work for other people who are good at putting, like a Wizard, P2, Aviar, Judge, or whatever, and roll with it.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 395 Times in 293 Posts

So after 5+ years of playing, I found what works for me and what doesn't. I have to have a deepish, beveled edge, concave rimmed putter. My go-tos are the BB Aviar and its ThumbTracked version, the Rhyno. I can putt PandAs (you standard beadless Aviar that you find in starter packs) and Novas, but I prefer the bead to rest my index finger on. If I forced myself to use a rounded putter (Wizard, Challenger, Judge) I probably could get used to it, but it would take some time.

Let us know what you like about you favorites and we can probably help you out.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 15
Niced 462 Times in 280 Posts

Bead, yes or no?

Shallow or deep?

Soft or firm plastic?

Answer these 3 and we can get started.

Additionally, what don’t you like about all the ones you have tried? Have you stuck with one long enough to hit your stride with it? What is your practice routine like, and do you have a practice routine? Sometimes folks search for a new putter when what they really need is a new approach to practice.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 976 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
Bead, yes or no?

Shallow or deep?

Soft or firm plastic?

Answer these 3
4 things.
Profile: blunt, rounded or beveled?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 495 Times in 317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
ive never understood why people make using a putter such a big damm deal

i prefer the ion but can use literally any putter you just adjust your putt a touch which you have to do anyways if you play somewhere with wind, water, hot, cold, snow, suicide putt drop off, around a tree, and so on
Pack it up boys, elmex says none of it matters anyway. Fun while it lasted!

Niced: (2)