Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: 66.67%-RHFH, 33.33%-RHBH
Golf Distance (avg/max') FH: Pig: 250/275'; OLF: 325/375'; Wraith: 350/400'
BH: Omega: 230/260'; Buzzz: 250/300'; OLF: 300/350'; Wraith: 325/375'
Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Nothing major
Other sport proficiencies?: Lacrosse, Hockey
Additional Information: I'm looking to use the winter months to experiment with my bag and maybe try a few new discs.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?:

Specific areas of desired feedback: Gaps or redundancies in the lineup, this is mostly a thread where I can track what I've been throwing throughout the year, but any feedback is appreciated.
Immediate and long-term goals:
-I would like to continue develop my backhand game more, as I still throw farther FH. Ultimately I'd like to throw 400' regularly with both FH and BH.
-Continue to develop a stronger mental game by not losing focus after bad holes/shots.
-Spend more time in the field, rather than playing rounds all the time. My field sessions are too few and far between. I REALLY need to commit to a solid practice routine this year, between field work and putting.
-Become PDGA member, play in 5 sanctioned tournaments, and earn a 900+ rating.
-Get better at BH anhyzer shots & BH rollers.

Bag:
4x Omega(Quantum/Lunar SS/Delta T)- main putter, BH upshots, driving putter
2x Pig(Pro & R-Pro)- FH driving putter, FH upshots, headwind putts, BH spike hyzer approaches
2x Buzzz(Jawbreaker & Elite Z)- workhorse midranges
2x Roadrunner(Champion & Star)- hyzerflips, tailwind drives, anhzyers
3x OLF(Millennium Standard)- workhorse fairway/control drivers
2x Firebird (Color Glow Champion)- headwind drives, spike hyzers, skip shots, thumbers, other utility shots
4x Wraith- workhorse distance drivers, flippy to OS

I feel better about my bag going into this year than in the past 3 years, so it's reassuring that I don't want to change half the bag up from jump street. I am very happy with these 7 molds, and throw all of them BH, FH, and overhand. I doubt much will change with my bag over the course of this year as I don't intend to try too many new molds out (I do want to play around with Rocs & Comets again this year, why not). Looking forward to competing in more tournaments this year, ideally I can make the jump up to MA1 and not look back.

I feel like I have just about every line I can think of covered with this setup. A lid would make a nice addition to my bag, something that can cover finesse/flippy approaches. I only have a couple thrashed Omegas, so the lid would add some versatility to my lineup of putters. I also will consider putting a straight fairway (Mantis/FD/JLS/OLS) in again to complement my Roadrunner/OLF/Firebird setup. I also may throw in an Xcaliber or Force for when the winds really pick up.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-03-2019, 08:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 100 Times in 61 Posts

Had the local short course, Cumberland Green, to myself earlier today for a few rounds and some practice. I don't really care much about score during such rounds, though I will play the first disc thrown for record (I often will play out some of the other drives when the course is empty). Got lots of good extra throws in, trying to force different lines on the holes or trying to replicate lines several times in a row. It really helped when I shanked a drive, to throw a few more and correct the mistake that lead to my bad drive before moving on to the next hole.

I decided to mix it up and throw in some molds I haven't thrown in a while. I took out most of the stable molds/discs for today to help work on form. Cumberland is short enough that I can take my Wraiths out of the bag, and OLFs may come out once or twice tops in a typical round. I tried make sure I was focused on throwing smooth and hitting my lines more than trying to score well. One area of focus was standing up straighter to prevent throwing with too much hyzer (a bad habit that happens when I rush my throws or try and throw too hard). This adjustment should allow me to pull the disc through on a straighter/smoother line.

BAG:
1x Birdie (DX)-Mostly for fun, I do plan on using a lid for the next month or two for patent pending upshots, nose up stalls, or when I need a lot of anhyzer, but not much distance. Very fun using a disc that requires finesse to throw it well. I also have a Sonic, Piranha, Polecat that I'll be rotating between.
4x Omega (Lunar SS & Delta T)- At the moment I prefer the Delta T for putting and jump putts. The Lunar SS are used for upshots and drives. I'm gonna have at least 3-4 Omegas in my bag this year, if I can beat a few more in, I may not need the lids. I'll probably keep using a Quantum or an AP as a durable driving Omega but don't really think I need 5 Omegas in the bag.
2x Pig (Pro & R-Pro)-Recently aced with my most trusted upshot disc, am needing to beat up some R-Pros again, they feel perfect to once they are well worn. A Pig or two will always be in my bag.
*3x Buzzz (Elite X, Elite Z, & Jawbreaker)-Threw these very well today, especially the Elite Z, which is my favorite Buzzz. Hit cage off the tee on hole 13, would have been nice to get off the mark early with an ace. Was fun to compare these next to the Rocs.
*3x Roc (DX & KC Pro)- Took me a few throws to get used to the Rocs again, but I really enjoyed throwing the two DX quite a bit. I threw the KC Pro less, but that's more a function of having 2 newer DX that I wanted to try out more extensively. All three were flying nice and straight for me today, with the fresh DX having the most fade. I need to get a more stable Roc off the shelf to pair with the 2 DX
2x Mantis (Elite X & Big Z)- I almost forgot how much I loved this mold. The Mantis was the first disc I purchased when getting back into disc golf in 2015 (before then all I had was an Aviar and an Archangel). I quickly fell in love with the Mantis, and after today, its obvious why. These fly great both FH and BH, while making a great disc for tomahawks and grenades. These could slot right into my bag right now, though it could add unnecessary indecision on what fairway to throw. Worst case scenario, I can just use the Mantis in a quick travel bag.
2x Roadrunner (Star & Champion)- I threw these drivers quite a bit today and threw them well most every time (more BH than FH today oddly). The more I throw the Roadrunner, the more I come to appreciate it. I still may add in something between a Roadrunner and OLF, I really need to find some more of the first run MOLFs and I could get away with just the two molds.
1x OLF(1.3 Millennium Standard)-The course is short enough, and I was feeling it with my Roadrunners, to where I only threw this a couple times. OLFs won't go anywhere, they are in the bag to stay.
1x Firebird (Champion)-Threw it once, poorly, but still had a putt...was there just in case the wind picked up.

* My main goal for today was to lean on my midranges, trying to hit specific lines. Recently, I have been using the two Roadrunners in situations where I would have thrown a Buzzz in the past (mostly to test out the Roadrunner's flight while powered down). So today, I really wanted to put the Rocs/Buzzzes to the test head to head. I made sure to throw BH with both the Buzzz/Roc on lines where I normally don't think twice about throwing anything other than a Pig FH. I don't plan on removing one for the other any time soon, as one afternoon is too small a sample size to make a decision on. The Buzzz is safe either way( feels better in the hand and I like it more FH) , but I came away very impressed by both molds. This round was a good reminder that an improved midrange game can shave strokes off my score.

I plan on playing practice rounds down at Cumberland fairly often this year. I should have more free time this winter, so that will help me get out to the course earlier, ideally I can hit up Aviary or Cottonwood while the course is empty, to get narrower & more defined fairways for better practice. This combined with ample field sessions will help me quite a bit this upcoming season.

Last edited by HERB brooks; 01-03-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:57 AM
Birdie Member

Good weekend of golf at league, played a couple tag matches (Widefield Saturday and The Aviary today) and ended with some random dubs at Rampart. I shot pretty well all weekend, almost put together a real special round at Widefield. Set my bag up more like I normally would compared to the last post. This should be pretty close to what my tournament set-up will look like for the year.

Weekend Bag:
4x Omega (Lunar SS/Delta T)- I should probably commit to throwing 500 putts per week minimum for the rest of the year. Streaky putting cost me plenty of strokes this weekend (I'm hitting just about everything I look at for par, but am struggling mightily on birdie looks). While I shot pretty well during singles both rounds, missed putts inside circle 1 killed me. I've got to put more time in on the practice basket and it will eventually pay dividends. I still love the Omega though!
2x Pig (Pro/R-Pro)- Ordered a new White R-Pro from infinite, should be here on Monday. Looking forward to beating in another R-Pro, those white ones feel great one they're thrashed for over half a year. I might break out an old Pro soon , my more stable of the two Pigs is in a good spot right now. It would be nice to have a couple in that stage of wear.
2x Buzzz (Jawbreaker/Elite Z)- These are a pair of discs that I should try and throw more often than I do. I'll be much better about that this year, improved midrange play is a new point of emphasis for me. Comets and Rocs will get mixed in intermittently. Its nice to have a mid with more glide to pair with a Buzzz
2x Roadrunner (Champion)- Roadrunners are becoming a workhorse for BH drives. These are slowly becoming an indispensable part of my setup, still impressed with the Roadrunners versatility.
3x OLF (1.1 MOLF/1.3 MOLF)- I could probably shoot within 2 strokes of my record scores at every course in town with just a pair of OLFs as my only drivers. Throwing an OLF is almost always a great plan.
2x Firebird (Color Glow Champion)- 2018 Sexton is the less beefy of the two, pink color glow from a recent tournament is the more overstable. These get thrown a good amount when I'm playing it safe or into headwinds since they are so reliable. I'm really happy with my fairway/control driver lineup (3 solid molds).
4x Wraith (Pro/Star)- All distance lines are covered by these 4 Wraiths, from flippy to OS. It did get really windy in the afternoon for doubles, Xcal or Force will be getting a run here soon for heavy wind duty. A super OS distance driver is like an umbrella, you will rarely need to have one in the bag, but when you need it, you're glad you have it there.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,082 Times in 635 Posts

How does a "beat up R-Pro Pig fly" ?

I have one new R-Pro and one Blizzard PIG in my bag, but the R-Pro i still SO OS that i "need" a Aviar X3 in the bag. .

Will a Beat up R-Pro PIG "straighten out" enough so i can take the Aviar X3 out? ( i hope )
Old 01-07-2019, 09:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 260 Times in 133 Posts

I'm surprised the Comet doesn't have a more permanent spot in the bag, I was never comfortable just throwing the Buzzz for my only midrange. I always needed a more "true understable" mid in the bag, whether it was a Comet, Meteor or something else.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:12 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
How does a "beat up R-Pro Pig fly" ?

I have one new R-Pro and one Blizzard PIG in my bag, but the R-Pro i still SO OS that i "need" a Aviar X3 in the bag. .

Will a Beat up R-Pro PIG "straighten out" enough so i can take the Aviar X3 out? ( i hope )
They never completely lose the fade, but after a year or more of abuse, Pigs tends to be fairly straight. They will still have all the HSS, but the fade become much more subtle at end of flight. I like to have one in this condition for low powered FH upshots or upshots down a wider tunnel. Should become straight enough to remove your AviarX3 with time. Full disclosure, a Pig in this condition will be fugly (my last ace was with a warped and clovered to hell Pig).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
I'm surprised the Comet doesn't have a more permanent spot in the bag, I was never comfortable just throwing the Buzzz for my only midrange. I always needed a more "true understable" mid in the bag, whether it was a Comet, Meteor or something else.
Comets had a spot pretty much all of last year. The problem is that I like to tinker with my setup too much. I first bought a Comet about 2 years ago, and they have been in and out of my bag ever since. It’s pretty much a yearly tradition to pull either the Comet or Buzzz our of my bag. I agree that something more US is a good complement to the Buzzz. The “ideal” solution would be a Roc cycle, but I have a stack of Buzzz and Comets (and I like throwing both molds) so I’m hesitant to make the switch.
While the Buzzz is a somewhat versatile midrange, it’s not going to cover the entire spectrum of mid shots. I never understand the people who will bag 3 or more Buzzz, since they pretty much fly the same. My jawbreaker is a slight bit more US, but I could easily drop down to 1 buzzz and have the same lines covered.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 260 Times in 133 Posts

I used to bag 3 Buzzz's, but that was only because I have some special ones. My 2nd 1st Run Z flies pretty overstable for a Buzzz, and my old flat white ESP's (from the original run of ESP) fly more like a fresh Meteor. A fresh ESP slots right in between them. I would still carry a Comet anyways because they just do things that other discs can't.

I'm with you on the Roc cycle (Rocs and Ghosts in my case). My problem is that it takes me years to get even a DX to the sweet spot for the understable slot. So the Comet stays.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:58 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
I used to bag 3 Buzzz's, but that was only because I have some special ones. My 2nd 1st Run Z flies pretty overstable for a Buzzz, and my old flat white ESP's (from the original run of ESP) fly more like a fresh Meteor. A fresh ESP slots right in between them. I would still carry a Comet anyways because they just do things that other discs can't.

I'm with you on the Roc cycle (Rocs and Ghosts in my case). My problem is that it takes me years to get even a DX to the sweet spot for the understable slot. So the Comet stays.
There was a time where I had 3 Buzzz in the bag as well (the first time I decided it was a good idea to pull Comets from my bag) which only lasted for a couple months. I found it to be overkill to where I only ever threw the most beat one and the Elite Z that's currently in my bag. I'll rotate between some backups in Jawbreaker or Elite X, to have some beat backups for my more US Buzzz. However, I tend to switch up the more stable Buzzz less often so they have a chance to get extra wear.

I could probably just go with 1 Buzzz and 1 Comet and have more lines covered than I currently do. What's funny is that one of my main justifications for having the Buzzz in the bag, is that I can FH it much better than Rocs or Comets. Yet, I hardly ever throw my Buzzz FH anymore. I don't really mind throwing Rocs or Comets FH, but the bead feels much less comfortable in my grip than something beadless. Its probably not that important of a consideration anymore. I throw mids FH rarely enough that I could get by with most anything.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 216 Times in 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB brooks View Post
While the Buzzz is a somewhat versatile midrange, it’s not going to cover the entire spectrum of mid shots. I never understand the people who will bag 3 or more Buzzz, since they pretty much fly the same. My jawbreaker is a slight bit more US, but I could easily drop down to 1 buzzz and have the same lines covered.
I bag 3 and I feel all 3 have their use. My least stable is a 5-6 year old ESP that's beat in to perfection. If I throw it hard and flat it will drift understable, almost like a meteor but somehow not as speed sensitive. Also if I throw it on a hyzer it will fight out more and go further. My TI is a 1-2 years old and flys like every other Buzzz I've thrown. My Ledgestone Swirly ESP is a new addition to the bag and it has more HSS and LSS than any Buzzz I've thrown.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:16 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riltim View Post
I bag 3 and I feel all 3 have their use. My least stable is a 5-6 year old ESP that's beat in to perfection. If I throw it hard and flat it will drift understable, almost like a meteor but somehow not as speed sensitive. Also if I throw it on a hyzer it will fight out more and go further. My TI is a 1-2 years old and flys like every other Buzzz I've thrown. My Ledgestone Swirly ESP is a new addition to the bag and it has more HSS and LSS than any Buzzz I've thrown.
That old ESP must be a really solid thrower if its US enough to pull out your Meteor. I don't have anything quite that US in my small stack of Buzzz (I have mostly Elite Z and Jawbreaker). The couple swirly ESP I have seem a bit more stable than a typical Buzzz like you are describing. I could see how those 2 plus a "standard" (for lack of a better word) Buzzz would make a good trio of midranges. I'll have to take the swirly ESPs with me next time I hit the course for some mid practice.