Old 02-21-2019, 07:16 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,000 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB brooks View Post
Bag From the Weekend (4 rounds):
I forget who had the idea to count their strokes with each mold, but I stole it and will be keeping track as I go forward. The fact that my Omega accounts for more shots than all my other molds combined is an eye opener (128 with the Omegas vs 94 with everything else). Really drives home the importance of your short game.
I used to keep track of which golf clubs I used the most often, and it was helpful in building my ball golf bag. I haven't done it with disc golf, but have a good idea which discs I use the most anyway...
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2019, 08:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 100 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I used to keep track of which golf clubs I used the most often, and it was helpful in building my ball golf bag. I haven't done it with disc golf, but have a good idea which discs I use the most anyway...
I feel like I have a good idea of what I use most often too, but getting actual data is pretty nice. I can see why you would do that in ball golf as well. I tend to throw approach shots with a Pig or Polecat fairly often...enough that I didn't think the amount of Omega shots would outnumber the sum of my shots with all other molds I bag. That being said, I do like to throw many of my approach shots with an Omega (with an ideal lie, I would probably throw an Omega). Still, I figured that at most I would throw Omegas on 50% of my shots.

I played a pair of good rounds today, yet still had 57 Omega shots (50 putts) compared to 46 with all other discs. Even more I only threw an Omega once off the tee today through two rounds, a drive which I actually aced!. Its an easy get, (Hole 14 @ The Aviary ~175' tunnel shot) but it has eluded me since 2015 when the course was installed. I mostly threw the Polecat and Pig on many tees where I'd normally throw an Omega.

On an unrelated note, one of the best things I have done for my game in years is to read Bob Rotella's Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect. For the few people that actually read this thread, go get that book. It completely changed the way I perceive the game and approach rounds.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:32 PM
Birdie Member

Bag From the Weekend (3 rounds):

1x Polecat (XT)- 7 throws.
3x Omega (DT & Gummy Quantum)- 90 throws Bag went unchanged from last week except for the Gummy (its an 11x Aviar, but its got the small bead so its really just an Omega.)
2x Pig (Pro & R-Pro)- 30 throws.
2x Buzzz (Elite X & Jawbreaker)- 5 throws.
2x Roadrunner (Champ & Star)- 4 throws.
3x OLF (1.1 SOLF, 1.1 MOLF, 1.3 MOLF)- 9 throws.
2x Firebird (Color Glow Champ)- 3 throws.
3x Wraith (Pro & Star)- 1 throw.
2x Xcal (Ecostar & Star)- 2 throws.

I played the local Ice Bowl this Saturday in snowy conditions, but only 4-6 inches on most of the course despite a couple snowfalls that week. No stats kept for the Icebowl, I treat those as more of a beer round with a raffle. Teepads were in bad shape for league this Sunday at Aviary. Most of the time I was forced to throw with one step or just stand and deliver. All seven of my Polecat shots this weekend were during league at Aviary. My recent rounds down in Austin helped prepare me for that approach and I was able to shoot fairly well. I squeezed in a pair of rounds Monday at Cumberland (lots of Omega drives), which is why I barely threw any drivers in three rounds.

Last edited by HERB brooks; 02-27-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:17 PM
Birdie Member

Fun week of golf, got to play some dubs for the first time in a while and a fun round of safari skins. I've got my first tourney of the year, Aviary Fools, coming up on the 30th. I'd like to place top 5 to better my finish from last year, but I'd settle for a pair of solid rounds no matter how I wind up finishing.

Recent Bag (4 rounds):

1x Polecat (XT)- 12 throws. The Polecat has broken in a bit, to where its really nice for soft straight shots or slow turning shots at harder power. It has become pretty similar to the Sonic that I had been experimenting with previously. I doubt I'll be going back to the Sonic, especially if I can get a couple more XT or R-Pro Polecats (worst case scenario, DX would be fine).
3x Omega (DT, Lunar SS & Gummy Quantum)- 127 throws. My main putter (DT) has been feeling good recently, I pulled its twin out of the bag for a Lunar SS. I prefer the softer plastic for upshots and turbo putts. Next, I will look to add in one of my old beat up super softs to see how it compares to a Polecat. Not that I want it to replace the Polecat, but I want to see if I have good use for the small stack of worn out old Omegas I've accumulated.
2x Pig (R-Pro)- 21 throws. I've got my old faithful blue R-Pro back in the bag as I work on beating in a new replacement for my straighter pig. I really ought to try and get some beat to snot Pigs off the marketplace. Its one slot that I keep losing or retiring discs from so I need some reliable backups (they take too long to get that nice straight flight with late finish).
2x Buzzz (Elite X & Jawbreaker)- 9 throws. I'll probably swap one of these two with my really beat jawbreaker for the next two weeks. Hopefully, I can get that one dialed in for some straight to turnover midrange lines before the tourney. It should be a very useful shot on multiple holes and its time to reintegrate it into the bag so I can remember how she flies.
2x Roadrunner (Star)- 5 throws. Man, I love the versatility of this mold! They rarely let me down whether its FH, BH, overhand, roller, you name it. I may drop down to one Roadrunner for most rounds, but will keep two bagged until after Aviary Fools.
3x OLF (1.1 SOLF, 1.1 MOLF, 1.3 MOLF)- 13 throws. I would like to start throwing these more as the season progresses. Even though I still use them fairly often they have become a more situational disc, where as before they were my go to mold for most of my drives. I could probably throw an OLF on many of the shots that I'm using a Roadrunner or Firebird for (I will often choose one of these discs if there is OB that could get me in trouble with a poor OLF shot). The OLF is great to practice shaping various lines, I intend to put more of an emphasis on the mold in my game.
2x Firebird (Color Glow Champ)- 17 throws. As someone who throws lots of FH shots, these are an essential part of my game. I have beat in a couple of '18 Sextons that I rotate between paired with a more stable color glow. I may consider adding a flat top at some point after this tournament.
3x Wraith (Pro & Star)- 4 throw. I probably will cut back to 2 Wraiths after my tourney. I don't throw the middle stability one very often, so it would be on the chopping block. At this point I'm mostly throwing a flippy pro for max distance BH. I have a freakishly stable star that I'm using instead of my newer run Xcal for stable OS drives.
2x Xcal (Ecostar & Star)- 9 throws. The PFN Xcal is easily the best distance FH disc I've ever thrown. I now have 2 PFN bagged. Luckily they aren't too expensive as throwers, as the newer runs seem too beefy for all out distance. I have a few but I'll have to acquire another handful of em.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:13 PM
Birdie Member

1x Polecat (XT)- 4 throws.
3x Omega (DT, Lunar SS, & Gummy Quantum)- 89 throws
2x Pig (R-Pro)- 17 throws.
2x Buzzz (Jawbreaker)- 4 throws.
2x Roadrunner (Star)- 9 throws.
3x OLF (1.1 SOLF, 1.1 MOLF, 1.3 MOLF)- 7 throws.
2x Firebird (Color Glow Champ)- 9 throws.
3x Wraith (Pro & Star)- 3 throws.
2x Xcal (PFN Star)- 10 throws.

I finally played Cottonwood for the first time since the Ice Bowl, actually shot a decent round this time around(I've been awful all year up there). I'll probably just be playing at The Aviary for the next couple weeks before the tournament in preparation.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:26 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,000 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB brooks View Post

1x Polecat (XT)- 4 throws.
3x Omega (DT, Lunar SS, & Gummy Quantum)- 89 throws
2x Pig (R-Pro)- 17 throws.
2x Buzzz (Jawbreaker)- 4 throws.
2x Roadrunner (Star)- 9 throws.
3x OLF (1.1 SOLF, 1.1 MOLF, 1.3 MOLF)- 7 throws.
2x Firebird (Color Glow Champ)- 9 throws.
3x Wraith (Pro & Star)- 3 throws.
2x Xcal (PFN Star)- 10 throws.

I finally played Cottonwood for the first time since the Ice Bowl, actually shot a decent round this time around(I've been awful all year up there). I'll probably just be playing at The Aviary for the next couple weeks before the tournament in preparation.
I gets the feeling you like your Omegas.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:34 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I gets the feeling you like your Omegas.
I indeed do my man...and here I thought the Pig was my favorite mold. Although truth be told, easily 75-90% of those shots are putts (It should be obvious what I need to work on to improve). One of these days I'll putt better and the proportion of Omega shots will have to drop. I'd recommend them to you but if I remember correct you were not a fan of the Aviar (If I am incorrect then you may want to try one out).

I have 5 courses, that are my most played around town, where you don't have any true 2 shot par 4s (A couple have pin locations where they could be considered par 4, but we rarely see them). As a result, I don't have to throw many mids on upshots, and can rely on the Omegas for lots of my second shots. Unless I really shank a drive most holes here are feasible to hit circle 2 or better. If the courses were longer, I imagine that I'd use my Buzzz more than I do currently. I find that when I'm down in ATX I tend to throw a Buzzz much more often, in large part due to the prevalence of par 4 holes.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-29-2019, 12:50 AM
Birdie Member

Bag Since Last Update (3 practice rounds for Aviary Fools):

1x Polecat (XT)- 11 throws.
4x Omega (DT, Lunar SS, & Gummy Quantum)- 92 total throws (76 putts)
2x Pig (R-Pro)- 20 throws.
2x Buzzz (Jawbreaker)- 5 throws.
2x Roadrunner (Star)- 8 throws.
3x OLF (1.1 SOLF, 1.1 MOLF, 1.3 MOLF)- 4 throws.
3x Firebird (Color Glow Champ)- 12 throws.
2x Wraith (Pro)- 0 throws.
3x Xcal (PFN Star)- 5 throws.

Finally pulled the middle stability Wraith from my bag in favor of another Xcal. I've only thrown at the Aviary since last update, trying to prep for the tournament this Saturday. I've started to notice that I barely ever throw the OLFs at Aviary anymore and the Sexton Firebird gets thrown a bunch instead. The second round will have a longer layout, so the OLF may get more airtime than in the first round. Looking forward to getting in the first event of the year.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:12 AM
Birdie Member

Aviary Fools was an absolute blast to play in despite some bad conditions. During the doubles match prior to the tournament on Friday, the course got pounded by hail for about an hour. It almost looked like it had snowed instead of hail, as there was 2-3 inches of hail accumulation all over the course when the doubles round was finally called off. Of course it also snowed on top of that layer of hail, so we were playing in an icy mud pit for both rounds of the tournament. I wound up winning MA2 by a stroke for my first ever tourney win so that was cool too. It was also really nice getting to play with one of my really good buddies on the lead card for the last round. Both of my cards were very pleasant to play with, good camaraderie among the players.

Bag for Aviary Fools (2 rounds):

1x Polecat (XT)- 10 throws.
4x Omega (DT, Lunar SS, & Gummy Quantum)- 59 total throws (48 putts)
2x Pig (R-Pro)- 19 throws.
2x Buzzz (Jawbreaker)- 2 throws.
2x Roadrunner (Star)- 4 throws.
3x OLF (1.1 SOLF, 1.1 MOLF, 1.3 MOLF)- 2 throws.
3x Firebird (Color Glow Champ)- 8 throws.
2x Wraith (Pro)- 1 throws.
3x Xcal (PFN Star)- 2 throws.

Overall I played ok, never really was able to put my foot on the gas in the second round though. I was in the lead by 2 after the first round, and had a 4 stroke advantage with 7 to play. Unfortunately I choked that lead away and was tied going into the last two holes. Reading Golf is Not a Game of Perfect is what allowed me to circle the wagons and come away with my first ever win. The Pig and Polecat were my best discs yesterday, I only had one bogey that was the result of a bad upshot, and saved many pars with these discs.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Birdie Member

This Week's Bag(3 rounds):

1x Polecat (XT)- 13 throws. If anything I may be throwing this disc too often. Its really fun to throw, so I'm letting it take over lots of Omega shots.
3x Omega (DT & Gummy Quantum)- 83 total throws (75 putts) I added in a second gummy quantum thrower for this week, hit cage on 14 at Aviary with it. That one is a good flyer, but I might go back to 4 Omegas adding a flippy one in to complement the mix.
2x Pig (R-Pro)- 19 throws. Pig things
2x Aurora MS (Quantum)- 4 throws. These may just replace the Buzzz in my lineup. I didn't add them to the bag to replace my buzz, more of a fun experiment that worked very well.
2x Roadrunner (Star)- 8 throws. I had some trouble with my roadrunners this week, probably the archer not the arrow.
3x OLF (1.1 SOLF, 1.1 MOLF, 1.3 MOLF)- 8 throws. Still reliable workhorse control drivers. My flippy one is starting to get to Roadrunner level stability which is pretty cool since it will attempt to fade back too.
3x Firebird (Color Glow Champ)- 11 throws. Firebird things
1x Aries (Sirius)- 2 throws. Recently acquired in a trade, some more Millennium plastic to try out. Very mediocre results with the Aries, more testing required to have an actual opinion on it though.
2x Wraith (Pro)- 5 throws. I played a few different courses this week, so these had a chance to get some air time.
2x Xcal (PFN Star)- 4 throws. Love this pair for max D.

I added in a couple more Millennium molds for this weeks rounds, a recent pick up in the Sirius Aries, and some older QMS I used to throw. I wasn't too impressed with the Aries, but I will continue to use it for casual rounds in order to get a better feel for its flight. Right now I highly doubt it will permanently go into my bag. The QMS on the other hand may replace my Buzzz at some point here this season. They are a little bit shorter distance wise but I can keep them straighter when powered down, which is one of my more common uses for my mids. I'm going to keep the QMS in my bag for a few weeks and see how they perform for me. Definitely stilly going through a honeymoon phase with the QMS, but I could bag 2 that covers straight to understable mid shots easily