Old 05-29-2019, 05:07 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default Here we go again..

2019 I have been stuck in my game for a while now, but I developed a forehand to have more opportunities to go around obstacles left-to-right and I generally prefer to aprouch basket with a forehand. I have posted the same stuff before but I would like to share some thoughts and what I have noticed through experimenting with throwing.

Experience: 1 year of playing | Beginner |
Throwing style: mainly RHBH (RHFW)
Distance: PUTT 150/200 MID 200/280 Drivers 280/320
Strengths: Forehand Aprouches

For aprouches I am usually going with a hyzer if that is possible. From drives off the Tee I am going for a straight shots or anhyzer so I can get the distance, but from under 250f I am probably going for a forehand hyzer. I am generally bad with anhyzers so I tend to avoid them.

What discs I play with:

S-line P2 175 - I like to putt with it even if it is a rare choice, but it's little heavy on the fade for most people. I also like it for touchy forehands. I only bag this putter because I feel like messing up if I throw different putters.

Millennium Ms Aurora 171 - It works well and it is almost my main disc now. If I throw it flat it will turn slightly but holds it, goes almost as far as my drivers.

Innova Savant - I like this for forehand aprouches, it is a nice stable driver. For most people it probably goes pretty straight but for me it is pretty stable. I rarely use the disc for Teeshots, but for reliable aprouches it becomes handy.

Dx Sidewinder - Super flippy and worn disc. I use it when I need the disc to flip and go right RHBH. With hyzer release it will pop up and flip, and it does not have much fade. I use it for a 300f annie hole and a 280f tunnel shot. On a 280f tunnel it goes really straight and has got me several birdies on that hole, so it is my goto for it.

Star Sidewinder - I have got nice distance with this disc, but I just don't feel that my power is consistent with this disc. Sometimes I get this disc to flip and it goes straight. It has some nice fade to it, it is a pretty new discs.

S-line FD 175 - Pretty average disc in all aspects, I rarely use it however. It shines when I happen to have a good day with a backhand. It is a nice fairway driver.

-

I probably have what most people are dealing with, I most likely throw too fast discs for my armspeed. I should be able to do most stuff with a midrange, it goes almost as far as my drivers. I am pretty happy with my aproach game, because I have really good angle-control. Most people I know tend to just release the disc flat. If I have the range I can thrust the hyzer angle to stop the disc close to basket very often. I also lean on the forehand because I have got rid of OAT, which makes me also able to throw understable stuff with a forehand.

Interesting discs I have tried:

Dx Birdie
Retro Pure
Champ Wraith

Birdie is too deep for most people but I like the feel of the thumtrack, I have big hands also so that helps. Maybe Rhyno??
Retro pure was nice but maybe only for driving. Wraith is the best feeling large-rim driver but it is too stable for my noodle-arms.

Guys with consistent 320f or 400f drives can you give me tips on how to improve, or stories how you learned to throw that far. Anyone above that is probably fine too. I would like to reach 320 consistently but I guess the only way is to progress slowly. I have already got like 30ft longer than last year so it is something.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2019, 10:02 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,998 Times in 1,495 Posts

Not giving advice on driving farther. Just wanted to say that your bag looks pretty good. The only disc that isn't very common is that Savant, but if you like it, keep rockin' it.

Practice with that FD... the FD is an outstanding mold, and once you get it down and get comfortable with it, I suspect you're going to love it.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-30-2019, 11:25 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 15
Niced 28 Times in 22 Posts

That S line P2 is going to be a little more stable than other plastics. If you like the feel of that mold, I highly suggest trying a D or P line P2. It won't have nearly as hard as a fade, especially once it breaks in. Also, if you like throwing a FH putter, check out the P3X. It's a nice OS compliment to the P2. It's also slightly shallower in the hand.

You have some decent molds in your bag that a lot of people throw. From what it seems from your post, your biggest thing is getting consistent on your BH throws. Keep practicing that and you'll gain confidence, and eventually distance. Don't be afraid to spend a few days and just go to an open field and throw your discs and learn how they fly. This can sometimes be more beneficial than playing an actual round.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:38 AM
Bogey Member

What I have trouble with is mostly driving, and I know where the problem lies for the most part in my backhand. I have trouble with having fully extended reachback. What I am used to is having my arm in a 45° angle when im pulling, so the disc flies about 280f but the release is "ok" for my skills. If you watch Simon Lizotte throwing backhand my reachback looks like what he has before he is actually reaching back fully. But if I try to reach back fully I think I am usually rounding, my timing is off (I mean I am not syncronised with my lower body) and I end up griplocking releasing the disc too late and it goes right and hyzers the release. My aproach game has been super since I don't have to throw full power, putting is still pretty weak but I am fairly confident from 15ft. 30feet is still a challenge for me.

I have been dreaming off ordering new discs so I have considered a D-line P2 or P-line P2. The S-line gets little too fadey when I try to putt from far away. I love DX plastic for grip but I would like my putters to not wear in very fast. P-line P2 would be the stiff version so it would also be more stable.

With midranges I have been leaning towards getti g a DX Roc because of the grip and brreaking it in for straighter flights. I have also looked towards an MF/CHAMP MD4 but that would be too meathook for my arms, also I love playing S-P2 for those overstable aprouches.

I met a +40 year old dude at the local course and he had a new Discmania Instict - driver. I liked the opto-plastic before and the disc felt good in hand, so I have considered buying one. Still, being said little more stable teebird is probably too fast for me, but it would be great in future if I happen to progress in my drives.

Lot's of stuff from me but thanks responses and suggestions.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:59 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
You have some decent molds in your bag that a lot of people throw. From what it seems from your post, your biggest thing is getting consistent on your BH throws. Keep practicing that and you'll gain confidence, and eventually distance. Don't be afraid to spend a few days and just go to an open field and throw your discs and learn how they fly. This can sometimes be more beneficial than playing an actual round.
I have got some consistency with my RHBH now, I had issues with having full reachback, and rounding my shots when doing it. Now I've got my shoulders turned all the way and I've got more power with it. If I don't end up rounding my shot I have noticeably more power and can hit the lines better. I also had some doubts about my grip but the usual 4-finger powergrip works nicely as long as I am not rounding.

Some thoughts on my discs:

Star Sidewinder 175 - This disc has turned to be what I was looking for, With flat release it turns somewhat but does not burn. With very slight hyzer it pops up flat, if I happen to have a bit more power it turns slightly from hyzer and goes further. I would buy this disc again, it just reguires to have that bit of speed in a throw that I didn't have before, at least consistently. I feel that it is very similar to a Star Valkyrie I had, maybe a bit more understable. Both feel very good in my hand.

S-Line FD 170 - I've become to like this disc now that I have gained some consistency in my backhand. It definetly has some stability in it. With flat release it turns very slightly, but has that mellow fade to balance it. It really stays true to it's numbers, it does not swing right or left very much. There's a 280f slight uphill hyzer hole and I can reach it with slight hyzer release with this disc. Sure the disc will flip to straight from that but I don't have to fear flipping over this disc too much. It has some weird green swirl on the bottom of the disc, even if it was supposed to be an orange one. Maybe it was on sale -25% for that, bit it is totally worth it.

Innova Savant 175 - This is what I substitute a Teebird I lost, I don't throw it too often, but it comes out when I want to finish left with my backhand. It's a champion plastic one. I imagine the Star one also being a less stable Thunderbird for example.

Discmania D-line MD1 - My oldest disc, it's one of the first discs discmania actually sold. I didn't like this disc before but it definetly became handy when I had to turn over a 160-200f aproach.

Played some practice rounds and I birdied a par 4 twice, which was pretty rare (It's easy par4 it is 550f first shot 328f downhill and 2nd shot is a woodgap from sweetspot.) I usually have to settle for a par on that hole.

I'd need to concentrate more on my other stuff of my game, which is forehand/aprouches/putting. With forehand I believe my biggest issue was the grip. My hand naturally goes into a stacked grip, but I don't feel like having good release with it. I transferred into what people consider FH-powergrip, the middle finger is over the index finger. I feel confident with any disc with that one. I just don't feel confident going full power with forehand so I just use it for aprouches.

I am lacking stable midrange and I have considered buying one. Maybe not the most overstable ones but I have considered MD2, MD3 in a less overstable plastic than a glow-c, KC-Pro Roc, McPro Roc3, DX Roc. Maybe a new putter since I am the worst at putting, but maybe it's not about the disc only.

New discs.. I don't need new discs in my bag, also I am telling myself to not throw super-fast discs. I am good in the speed 7-10 range with my drivers, as I still don't have too much power, and that's what everyone recommends for a beginner. I would buy same mold with maybe different plastic:

Luster or regular C-line FD - I liked the regular C-line before so, it would be nice compliment to my S-line.
Star or Champ Sidewinder - Yeah at some point the one I have will become flippy and it doesn't hurt to have extra one.

So much text but I felt posting over when there was noticeable progress.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:21 PM
Bogey Member

I bought 3 new discs so I got pretty hyped to try them out. I went with 3 latitude discs.

ZeroHard Dagger 175g - I like the feel for putting, this is the first "stiff" putter I would say. I were really confident putting from 25feet with this. It might be just a mental thing, "first day new putter" but I got really excited when I got a 25feet straddle behind a tree. Let's see how it goes in the following days.

- Opto Compass 173g
- Opto Explorer 175g I didn't throw these so much, but the compass is a stable midrange. It's also nice in my hand, I didn't like the Roc3 too much with the bead, also the Roc3 was clearly more stable. The explorer is definetly a stable fairway, I bought it to replace my lost Teebird so it has some of the same characteristics. I feel that I have to throw it a lot more to really learn it.

Rest of my bag right now:

D-line P1 - This has been with me 1-year and it still has some of that understable goodness. I feel that it's good for short straight shots when you don't need much power. A very good LayUp-disc.

S-line P2 - I might take off either throwing putter but this is still I nice aprouch disc, don't have to ever fear flipping this one.

Aurora Ms 171 - It's a straight, with a drive it will turn but holds its.

D-line MD1 - This is understable and will turn right with my backhand. I might just take one midrange out as I rarely use them.

Innova Savant 175g - I am starting to like this disc, it's not so much dome as with the explorer. Might overlap a bit with it tho so I am not sure if I should just bench either one. Also super nice for forehand.

Star Sidewinder 175g - It works well, with slight hyzer it flips straight. I felt off so I couldn't really turn it how I would like it.

S-line FD 170g - Simply love it.

DX Sidewinder - It's so beat-up might as well be retired. It's a potential flip-roller disc. It used to be a gimmick tunnelshot hyzerflip-diac but now I need to learn something else.

My drives didn't feel that good today, I felt like having 80% of what I could do. Last round I got -3 first four holes so it felt comfortable but I ended up messing +1 at the end of the round. I'd say I throw:

Putters 150/200 Mids 200/260 Fairways 270/300

It's estimate on flat surface, I'd say that a slight downhill hole that is 330f I can reach that with the FD and I don't feel like having to rip the shot. The same on 300f hole that is on the level woth the Teepad, I can reach it with the SW and it goes 30f long sometimes.

I am open for opinions and tips for drives, also stories with the explorer/compass and how they work for you guys.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:07 AM
Bogey Member

I have found some solutions to be more consistent with RHBH, if I extend the arm entirely I can't really put the elbow into a proper angle and I end-up rounding my shot, I just keep my arm slightly angled and rotate the shoulders to have some reachback. Also standstills help with releasing the disc where I am aiming and I've got some speed with the pull. Superb for tunnel shots! I become to realise what being SMOOTH means, no need to rush with the reachback.

RHBH-angle control is pretty good. I just need to throw more forehands and putts.

My bag has stayed the same except:

Dagger has really tooked it's place as a putting putter, it will give me at least the confidence boost, sometimes that 20 footer downhill goodness.

Compass is really nice disc, really easy to throw and good in hand, also tolerates more spin than a seasoned MS.

Explorer feels pretty beefy, well it will become handy if there's a headwind, also it will probably get use if I lose one of my go-to drivers.

I had great casual-rounds today hope you have too!

Old 06-27-2019, 05:52 PM
Bogey Member

Done some testing and starting to prefer certain discs:

ZeroHard Dagger 175 - I have skipped practice but it's still my putter.

S-line P2 175 - It has sweet stability to throw with some power, goes super straight. Not into a headwind tho. It is maybe beaten in a little.

Opto compass 173 - it's a nice disc for 280f hyzer, I like it better in hand than a Roc3. Little finicky in wind tho.

S-line FD 170 - My go-to "straight" disc for sure. On flat-release it goes easilly 300f and has minimal fade and turn.

C-line FD 175 - It's new and it's a backup, also 175 maxweight being little bit more stable, but it's also domey so I don't expect it to hold much headwind.

Savant 175 - Something little more stable than the FD but has a bit more speed to get that distance, also feels really good in a hand.

Opto Explorer 175 - It's a backup for the Savant but feels really beefy. I threw this into a strong headwind and it turned right but held it for 328. I expect it to have a really nice flight if I ever grow an arm for it.

Star Sidewinder 175 - It has some wear but it still has a gentle fade. The disc turns on a flat release but goes 320 on a turnover and 350 straight into a tailwind, but I am scared to throw this disc when there's any headwind which is common at the local course.

Champ Wraith 171 - It's new disc and I don't quite have the arm for it. I bought it mainly for headwind and for sidearm disc. I have tried to stay away from fast discs for the most part but wraith feels good in a hand.

Starting to like champion-plastic again, stars are still excellent for grip. Champs are nice for any dry or warm weather honestly.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:02 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,998 Times in 1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadpe View Post
Done some testing and starting to prefer certain discs:

ZeroHard Dagger 175 - I have skipped practice but it's still my putter.

S-line P2 175 - It has sweet stability to throw with some power, goes super straight. Not into a headwind tho. It is maybe beaten in a little.

Opto compass 173 - it's a nice disc for 280f hyzer, I like it better in hand than a Roc3. Little finicky in wind tho.

S-line FD 170 - My go-to "straight" disc for sure. On flat-release it goes easilly 300f and has minimal fade and turn.

C-line FD 175 - It's new and it's a backup, also 175 maxweight being little bit more stable, but it's also domey so I don't expect it to hold much headwind.

Savant 175 - Something little more stable than the FD but has a bit more speed to get that distance, also feels really good in a hand.

Opto Explorer 175 - It's a backup for the Savant but feels really beefy. I threw this into a strong headwind and it turned right but held it for 328. I expect it to have a really nice flight if I ever grow an arm for it.

Star Sidewinder 175 - It has some wear but it still has a gentle fade. The disc turns on a flat release but goes 320 on a turnover and 350 straight into a tailwind, but I am scared to throw this disc when there's any headwind which is common at the local course.

Champ Wraith 171 - It's new disc and I don't quite have the arm for it. I bought it mainly for headwind and for sidearm disc. I have tried to stay away from fast discs for the most part but wraith feels good in a hand.

Starting to like champion-plastic again, stars are still excellent for grip. Champs are nice for any dry or warm weather honestly.
Solid bag, and it sounds like you're getting comfortable, and therefore good, with them. Success breeds confidence; confidence breeds success...

Old 06-30-2019, 03:59 AM
Bogey Member

Got unlucky and lost the S-line FD Well, it's not a surprise that it was my favorite flyer, usually those get used the most..

Like I planned I bought the C-line FD as a backup and it flies excactly in a similar line. I don't have the arm to turn it over for anhyzers but that is for future goal.

I hope someone returns the S-line one and I get to see the weird green swirl on the bottom of a orange disc. I didn't know that discmania does swirly S-line for the discount stock-runs

The best "odd" plastic I've seen is from Leo Piironen's in-the-bag video where he shows an old S-line PD which is transulent, imagine having an early star/champion hybrid!

Well other than that I've got few extra meters for my drives and I feel more comfy with the more stable discs, those come in handy because I usually have to deal with wind. If my bag has any holes, I'd say I need a backup for my star sidewinder, and another FD. Also a straight midrange, maybe a DX ROC since it would be OS new and it would season straight? Or MC-PRO ROC3 but that might be straight for more powerful players only

If anyone has tried a Luster FD I would be interested to try the plastic, wether it's more stiff or softer than regular C-line.