Old 09-11-2011, 03:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.3
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 67 Times in 31 Posts

soft focus ftw! (and the ace!) i'm not surprised you like the focus- it's very similar to the magnet imho. it's still my upshot/ short driving disc.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 41
Niced 672 Times in 379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
Focus is a Banger GT without the GT, I am pretty sure. I liked the ESP Ace Race one that I had, but I carry too many putter molds already so I didn't stick with it.

Bert Brader, the Discraft-sponsored pro here in the Netherlands, putts with the Focus.
that was me who made the thread "focus a GT-less banger" but i didnt do much inspecting before i made my initial post. the banger DEFINITELY has a bigger bead, and the curve below the PLH leading to the bead is shaped slightly different as well.

that being said, i LOVE my focii. when they first came out i loved them, tried dropping them for a bunch of different molds, but came back to them maybe 2 months ago and i havent looked back. its the only putter ive ever felt like it was an extension of my arm/body. it just listens to what i want it to do and its such a good feeling. im a solid putter, not a GOOD putter, but the improvements since i added the focus again are exponential.

theyre more or less a wizard or BB avair, or a bunch of other molds ive thrown, but none did what i want/had my trust as much as a focus. keep throwing it midnightbiker, might make you consider divorcing your magnets
Old 09-12-2011, 01:08 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 2,099 Times in 791 Posts

I think I like my putters on the overstable side. I didn't hate the Focus, but it wasn't quite as overstable as I was hoping. When it came out I kept hearing "Wizard copy" but it just did not have the fade of a Wizard.

That being said, it's a pretty OK putter. It didn't knock my socks off, but if I had to use one it wouldn't ruin my day. I just would choose a Wizard or BB Aviar over it.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 59
Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDriveBadPutt View Post
What happened to the magnet?!?!?!?!?
I still have a beat to hell , Soft Magnet in the bag for understable putt and approach shots, and a Pro D Magnet for driving , and approaches, but for shots 30ft and in, and putts on a hyzer, I am really liking the Soft Focus.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL View Post
soft focus ftw! (and the ace!) i'm not surprised you like the focus- it's very similar to the magnet imho. it's still my upshot/ short driving disc.
Seeing you make that 205ft Ace with the Soft Focus, was what really got my attention about this disc. I had never even seen one, till that day we played out at Windwood.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 42
Niced 92 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripenemys2k View Post
that was me who made the thread "focus a GT-less banger" but i didnt do much inspecting before i made my initial post. the banger DEFINITELY has a bigger bead, and the curve below the PLH leading to the bead is shaped slightly different as well.
I missed that thread, a friend of mine told me that about the Focus once and when I compared them they looked pretty similar. But I do not have one to look at now, and I have only recently gotten better at checking out small details like that, so I will trust you guys. Maybe let me save face a little by agreeing it is more like the Banger GT than any other Discraft putter?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,287 Times in 387 Posts

Anybody feel like briefly breaking down the Focus in relation to the other popular discraft putters (Magnet/Challenger)? I'm thinking of making the jump, the lack of glide on the Voodoo is starting to irritate me.

...and please don't prerube me, I'd like current opinions since molds can be variable.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 35
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have this love triangle (well, square actually) going on right now between the JK, Focus and Wizard. I'm about to drop the JK though. The Focus, to me, is basically a seasoned Wizard. Great putter, no doubt.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

To me it flies a little like a beat in Challenger

Old 09-13-2011, 08:50 AM
*Legalize It*

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 51
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

anyone know if all the ace race d-focus are nice and flat..almost concave like a yeti? i got one from a buddy and it feels great! but have felt some production run pro-d's and they just arent even close to the same. no way they could knock my kc's out for putting duties but they could give them a run for their money on drives.