Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 214 Times in 128 Posts
Default Challenger VS Wizard.....talk to me

My phone is buggin when i try and search for a thread like this so if anyone has a link please post.
Anyway, i would like to know how these compare? I currently putt with wizards but the consistancy from disc to disc is killin me. I order online and can never get one i love ,like the first 2 i got. I have a soft pink challenger begging me to throw it but im afraid to mess with a good thing.
How do they compare driving?
Which is more overstable?
Which is better in the wind?

Thx in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2011, 04:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 89 Times in 51 Posts

i feel you man, i threw challengers first, pro d for driving, a money cryztal for putting. but my cryztal was stolen so i gave up on them, then turned to wizards, great feel and grip, awesome for putting or driving, but as you said, the plastic inconsistencies are terrible, so overall, i could drive the wizard easier, but the challenger was better in the wind, but honestly i gotta giving them equality stability wise, but i gotta tell you, i tried ions and havent looked back, soft or medium could be used for driving or putting. its all preference so really you get the best of both worlds with the ion
Old 11-09-2011, 04:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 23
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

The challenger is a nice disc but if you like the feel of the Wizard's rim then you might want to pick up a Focus. I recently made the change and I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I think that the Focus may have a little more glide than my SSS Wizards. I've been using the soft X for short drives & chip approaches outside my putt jump comfort zone and the pro-d for push putting from around 45 -50 feet.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 102
Niced 37 Times in 15 Posts

The Focus and the Wizzard are the same disc, put them up side by side and see. Now the challenger is much more stable and is the Shiznit.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 110
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I switched from wizards to challengers and I never looked back

beat in a soft x a little and they fly dead straight
Old 11-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Challengers are great putters, so are Wizards. I too got sick of the inconsistency of Wizards and tried out a lot of putters. After all the usual suspects were ran through I picked up (went back to) a 166 black Pro D Challenger and couldn't be happier. The availability of lighter weights and the fact that the black Pro D is uber velvety and grippy in the hand pushed the ION out of my life.

The Soft Challengers are a little more overstable than the Pro D, which make them lovely for driving duties. They're also really nice when it gets cold. The Pro D are also good for driving and become more workable after some wear, the only downside is some of the new Pro D blends are as durable as bubble gum. If you just stick with the black ones you can't go wrong.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:44 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 828
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

For me they both feel comfortable in my hand and putt equally well, the wizard gets a little more distance on drives.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,287 Times in 387 Posts

I switched from Wizard/Voodoo combo to just challengers recently, here's been my experience:

- Wizards have more HSS off the tee. Both discs predictably fade (for putters).
- Driving distance has been about the same for me, ~260-275' comfortably.
- I like the grip on Pro-D challengers way more than harder plastics of the Wizard. Soft Challengers and SS/SSS Wizards are the same to me in terms of grip.
- When push putting, challengers have more glide, making those 25-30' seem effortless.

and maybe this last one is just me but - I have an easier time judging windy putts with the challenger. I'm definitely hooked. I have challengers in every plastic (including the CryZtal FLX which is probably the beefiest and closest to a Wizard in stability)
Old 11-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

VIBRAM RIDGE!!!! LOL no if i had to chose between the 2 i would go with the wizard because i hate discraft lol and the wizard is less stable and a nicer putter in my opinion

Old 11-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

A wizard when new is almost always more stable than regular runs of d/soft/x challengers. I switched long ago from challengers to wizards (no longer throw either). Wizards are better in the wind, are more predictable as putters for driving and honestly are ran in better plastic in my opinion. Soft wizards that are on the firmer side as well as firmer organic wizards are the some of the best putters/upshot discs out there. The exception to the rule would be SSSS to SS wizards that can beat in VERY quickly. The other exception would be Cam Todd challengers which feel/fly better than the regular runs. Medium wizards are good for driving. Evo/hpp wizards have less glide and are more stable (and thus, shorter). Foci (focuses) are slightly less stable and shorter than wizards (according to pros I know who have thrown both) and referencing the majority of discs run. I have seen freakishly stable and domey foci but they are few and far between.