Old 11-18-2018, 10:56 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,450 Times in 746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPe View Post
None actually, only have one, but i have read the horrorstories and got scared. Are they actually more resistant than people say?
They are much more resilient than people say. The way people talk in here, it sounds like everyone's throwing pro distances. DX Rocs aren't fragile either. I think most people are quoting what they've heard, and you know how stories grow with each retelling. I'm by no means a big arm, but I've seen a lot of Rocs thrown by a lot of people in below freezing temps. I've never personally seen one break.

The bonus to beating up a Roc? It only gets better.

I think premium Ghosts that have been mentioned are decent options, but they won't start out as beefy as a KC Roc. Maybe that's changed since I've thrown them last, but I never thrown any Ghost that matched a KC's stability.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by tbird888; 11-18-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:18 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,286 Times in 1,067 Posts

Yeah KC Rocs will last stability-wise in that OS sweet spot for way longer than people give them. The only knock is that they will get ugly and nicked up if you are playing lots of rocky terrain. So if it's a touch/feel thing, I can get that.

Ghost is a good place to look. The only Trilogy disc besides a Mace that is Comet/Roc shaped I can think of is the Anchor. The Warship could be an option but they might overlap a lot with a domey Z Comet. For MVP/Axiom, only option is a Vector but domey ones do exist, just not sure how prevalent.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 906 Times in 400 Posts

Quote:
None actually, only have one, but i have read the horrorstories and got scared. Are they actually more resistant than people say?
The KC Color Glow Rocs are very brittle; I've seen several break cleanly in half for basically no reason.

Regular KC is pretty resilient unless it gets VERY cold. It will season in through normal wear and tear, but it won't break or anything like that. Fresh KC Pro Rocs will be nice and stable/OS, and as they break in they will get straighter and eventually start to flip. But you can ALWAYS get a fresh replacement; any online retailer and most brick & mortars will have good selection of KC Rocs.

Most KC's have medium dome to start out. They make specific flat topped runs (FT) so as long as you steer clear of those you should get what you're looking for.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-19-2018, 05:21 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 40
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts

Ghost is a great option. I'll agree with them being a bit less OS than a fresh KC Roc.

I came here to say that star rancho rocs are awesome. I bag one as my OS roc along with my other DXs and KCs. I will say that they are the most OS roc out there, besides a RocX3.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 537 Times in 344 Posts

Quote:
The problem with discs breaking is typically tension in the flightplate it would seem - the domier a disc, the less you have to worry about.

Shoot, a DX Rancho Roc stays more OS than a comet for like, 10+ rounds anyway.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 40
Niced 182 Times in 111 Posts

I'd say find an 06-10 USDGC champ roc. They are generally domey and S/OS. The 08 throwers are by far the most domey. Otherwise you could just deal with the KC rocs, they are fine in the winter for the most part. If you are open to other brands, The prodigy M1 or M2 would be another good option. I've also seen some domey Moonshine EMAC Truths that would work for you.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 24
Niced 158 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Looking for any tips for a stable/overstable mid to compliment my Z Comet. Have been using Roc3s and Kaxes for a while, but the comet put me in the mood for something with a little bit more dome. KC PRO Roc is the closest I have found so far, and its pretty much perfect, except I need something in premium plastic to bang some rocks and trees in the winter. Would also prefer a disc in regular stock run since theres a limited number of stores around here
I agree on the Millennium Taurus. It's a solid Champ Rancho Roc (it may fade just a touch sooner) that's easier to find and cheaper than the USDGC rocs.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 537 Times in 344 Posts

Also a domey Wasp - if you can find one. I would maybe email some retailers and see if you can get your hands on their domiest Z wasp from 175-177+ grams.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

I think Champ USDGC Roc is probably the best answer disc-wise. Whether you want to spend $25+ per disc is a different question, but I think it would be exactly what you want. Everybody loves the 2006's, but might cost a bit more. The 2013's were very domey but also not very overstable. The 2016's were pretty great and the 2017 I have looks nice as well although I haven't thrown it. The Millennium Taurus might be a slightly cheaper option; ORDB likes them and he's a big Roc guy. You're probably still limited to buying it online unless you're lucky enough to have a store that stocks Millennium (unusual).

Old 11-21-2018, 02:03 PM
Par Member

Niced 23 Times in 13 Posts

Brinster Sentinel