Old 07-11-2020, 10:28 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.2
Courses Played: 394
Niced 2,034 Times in 994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
I would say it is not important whether either is more true to, or more representative of, play it as it lies. They are just slightly different ways to move the lie. And result in potentially different 'punishments' or challenges for the player in terms of distance, angle etc - and therefore each has their own value as a design element.
My point is that "it is not important" and "just slightly different". So why bother with a rule that can sometimes break? Especially when DZ is available to some of the design things LOP would.

Quote:
That's an interesting thought. Which rules would that change/impact? Is it just the casual water/area rule? That would solve the problem of casual water next to OB with no available relief along LOP.
I think just casual water/area.

(Unfortunately, it would still allow that most unholy of abominations - the Hazard. But, I can live with that sin being on the TD's heads.)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-11-2020, 10:57 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.4
Courses Played: 706
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,225 Times in 962 Posts

Of the various lie relocation options, Last Point Inbounds may be less reliable and potentially less fair since it relies on the player and group making a depth perception judgment while the disc is moving. Watching for missing a mando may even be easier. But LPI can be useful when better relocation options can't be used, i.e., when the disc cannot be seen or its position cannot be determined (lost).
Old 07-11-2020, 04:43 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 198 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
I would say it is not important whether either is more true to, or more representative of, play it as it lies. They are just slightly different ways to move the lie. And result in potentially different 'punishments' or challenges for the player in terms of distance, angle etc - and therefore each has their own value as a design element.
The difference between “mandatory drop area, no penalty” and “mandatory LOP to outside “relief” area” is that you can potentially design the location of a pin, or the shape of the MLOP area to cause variable penalty based on where you miss.

I’m not saying that this is necessarily a necessary design element, but it’s certainly a different design element. If you have a fat/deep part of the MLOP in line with a potential eagle chance, and a thin/shallow part of the MLOP in line with the best upshot landing spot, you can make eagle runs more risk/reward and putts from the landing zone less risky.

Does that work out in practice? I don’t know, but I think what I laid out is the theoretical justification.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:12 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.4
Courses Played: 706
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,225 Times in 962 Posts

The two Setback/Buncr concepts being discussed have already been used successfully in multiple locations in Majors - the 2007 Pro Worlds, Players Cup and USDGC. The RC just didn't get them codified when the 2011 rules update was developed. Krupicka knows they were specifically designed for the stockade hole at Squaw Creek to add challenge around the green.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 07-11-2020 at 05:14 PM.