Old 07-23-2020, 06:40 AM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Shifting

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I was wondering if shifting from the back foot to the front should feel more like:

a) "falling" butt-first targetward, then catching this momentum with the front foot thus shifting

or

b) reaching your front foot targetward, then shifting to it ?

I have thought so far that option a would be the more logical one since it has your hips traveling forwards before/while youre shifting, thus bringing your center of gravity more on top of the front foot.

Whereas with option b your weight is still over the back leg, and you have to "push" your center of gravity targetward (and on top of front foot).

I've been trying to go with option a but it seems I am completely overpowering my front leg.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2020, 07:19 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 198 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorfourth View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I was wondering if shifting from the back foot to the front should feel more like:

a) "falling" butt-first targetward, then catching this momentum with the front foot thus shifting

or

I have thought so far that option a would be the more logical one since it has your hips traveling forwards before/while youre shifting, thus bringing your center of gravity more on top of the front foot.

Whereas with option b your weight is still over the back leg, and you have to "push" your center of gravity targetward (and on top of front foot).

I've been trying to go with option a but it seems I am completely overpowering my front leg.
I believe it's more like a)? But the idea of falling is probably not the right one. That's leading to you being too late, and thus over topping the leg. That's my guess.

Go watch frame by frame footage of Page Pierce. She is moving forward and her front foot lands and resists the forward momentum already in progress. I think that's referred to generally as "bracing" or "posting".

I'm also probably not the perfect person to answer this question. I can't really do it yet, just see it.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 62
Niced 114 Times in 72 Posts

I assume you're asking for most drives on flat ground. In that case, it is much more of a weight shift. You create forward momentum with your run-up (which should probably be a walk-up if you're learning it). Then, instead of falling forward, you convert your forward momentum to angular momentum as you twist your hips/core/shoulders, and after you release you then slow down.

If you are throwing uphill, your weight should lean forward more, which might make it feel like you're falling forward. However, if you're worried about falling in that scenario, again, slow down, and consider a walk-up or a stand still.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:13 AM
Par Member

Niced 31 Times in 29 Posts

Especially for full powet shots, I feel like I drop onto the front leg with all of my weight. Most people reach with their front leg and then the weight shifts gradually instead of more sudden.

I just fixed this issue by having the rear leg straight for as long as possible. Then fall from that tall position onto the front leg. If your rear leg is bent/crouched, you obviously can't fall onto the front leg since your not tall enough. Crouching is good for lower powershots, where accuracy is the main concern.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Old 07-23-2020, 09:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 222
Niced 3,645 Times in 2,233 Posts

A

Old 07-23-2020, 11:13 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 193 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorfourth View Post

or

This is something I struggled with for a long time, and still do sometimes. The key for me was finding some time of athletic movement that I've done before and felt comfortable, but still gave me the correct motions. The problem with falling backwards and catching yourself is that probably isn't something you've done before, so it won't be smooth and athletic (or at least it wasn't for me.) I was only able to get this when I started to think of the correct movement in other sports/physical activities.
Sidewinder linked the hershyzer drill, so you can make a motion like you are pitching lefthanded submarine/sidearm, and that will show you what the weight shift should fee like. For me, I've never pitched or even thrown left handed, so this motion felt awkward.
Here are a couple of moves that helped me.
Stand in a closed backhand stance, and pretend that you have a bowling ball or basketball in your hands, and you want to reach back behind you and toss it underhand over your right shoulder (RHBH) as far as you can. If you do this motion a few times, you should notice that you get back on your rear leg with your back to the target, then after you toss the ball, you end up balanced on your front leg exactly like you are supposed to be. It's kind of hard to translate this motion into a backhand swing, but it gives you a good feel of the weight transfer. Make sure your stance is closed so you just reach back behind you, grab the ball, and stride diagonally as you toss it back over your shoulder. Once you get a feel for this motion, here is something I did to make it feel like a swing. Same motion, but as you come up to toss the ball over your shoulder, now pretend like you have a tennis racket or baseball bat in your left hand, and you are swinging it left handed. Now what is your right arm doing? What I found is if I don't pay attention to my right arm and just let it come along for the ride, it ends up in the perfect backhand swing, low to high. If you follow through with that lefty one handed swing, your right arm should finish behind your butt with your left arm out front just like GG.

Let me know if it works for you - this is the first time I've tried to explain it, and everyone learns differently, but this was the end result of obsessing over trying to get this swing right for at least 4 months lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gg.JPG (64.9 KB, 21 views)

Old 07-23-2020, 01:49 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 84 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post

Go watch frame by frame footage of Page Pierce. She is moving forward and her front foot lands and resists the forward momentum already in progress. I think that's referred to generally as "bracing" or "posting".
I saw her in a slow motion do this but can't find it now. But it confused me a bit.

Seems like most people say your plant foot toe touch, weight shift happens (here the falling forward, the middle video Sidewinder posted is one I hadn't seen before and I'm going to try), then there is a little twich movement of the hips, then your arm finally pulls through. Yet Paige looked like her disc/arm weight forward were all going as her weight shifted..but maybe I am rememberring wrong.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:25 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 198 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWimp View Post
I saw her in a slow motion do this but can't find it now. But it confused me a bit.

Seems like most people say your plant foot toe touch, weight shift happens (here the falling forward, the middle video Sidewinder posted is one I hadn't seen before and I'm going to try), then there is a little twich movement of the hips, then your arm finally pulls through. Yet Paige looked like her disc/arm weight forward were all going as her weight shifted..but maybe I am rememberring wrong.
Watch her drive on hole 9 on Emporia at the time stamp below. Frame by frame it in Youtube.

https://youtu.be/HQ95HcrqZhQ?t=2191

Here she is at the moment her heel full plants, which is perfectly coincident with the full reach back vs. two frames later, when is just starting the disc forward.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PP_HeelPlant.jpg (62.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg PP_AfterHeelPlant.jpg (65.1 KB, 88 views)

Old 07-23-2020, 03:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 222
Niced 3,645 Times in 2,233 Posts

Niced: (2)