Old 07-23-2020, 11:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 590 Times in 352 Posts
Default Rules Changes COming in 2021

See... gotcha to look.

They are actually being called "updates".

To answer the question before it's asked

Our PDGA has learned from previous mistakes and posting these now will give ample time to vet any possible issues before 2021 begins.

https://www.pdga.com/news/updates-co...on-manual-2021
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by araytx; 07-23-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:23 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 265 Times in 142 Posts

I like the removal of QA-MAR-2.

Quote:
QA-MAR-2: May I mark my lie with a mini, then decide to place the original disc back in position and pick up the mini?

No. Once you’ve picked up the thrown disc you cannot use it as a marker.
We have had it confirmed in here previously that a marking violation only occurs when a throw is made - meaning that if you move your marker accidentally before you throw - you are allowed to return it to its correct position without penalty.

So it makes little sense to prevent replacing the thrown disc if the player so chooses.

The release of the disc is the pivotal action for a few of our rules - so making placing the mini an irrevocable action isn't necessary. Nice tidy up of the rules.

I would suggest an update to the marking rules themselves to spell out clearly that a violation only occurs when the disc is released. Currently it isn't clear.

Maybe something like:
Quote:
D. Throwing from a lie marked in a manner other than described above is a marking violation...
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2020, 07:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 72
Niced 374 Times in 193 Posts

Placing a mini was irrevocable under an older edition of the rules. The Q&A had not been updated to reflect that when that rule was removed.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:31 PM
Birdie Member

I also like the removal of QA-CAS-3

Quote:
QA-CAS-3: My group agrees that my disc landed in a murky body of casual water. We could not find it. Do I play it as lost, or take casual relief?

If your group agrees that there is compelling evidence that the disc is in the puddle, then you assume it is in fact in the puddle, and take casual relief without penalty. Your group will need to agree on an approximate location so that you can take your relief back along the line of play. If your group is not confident that the disc is in the puddle, it is played as a lost disc.
I had thought before that extending the 'compelling evidence' principal to casual water should have been done in the main body of the rules, not the Q&A. Removing it altogether is even better.

I'm guessing that losing a disc in casual water is considered an infrequent enough occurrence to let the player suffer the full lost disc penalty.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:37 PM
Birdie Member

With the removal of QA-MAN-3 is the idea that the group shouldn't be deciding for themselves where the Mando is? That they should be consulting the TD when it's unclear?

Sounds good to me.

Quote:
QA-MAN-3: A mandatory was marked on the trunk of a tree, with the arrow pointing left. The trunk splits into two main trunks. My disc passed between the two upper trunks. Did I miss the mandatory?

It’s not an easy call, because the mandatory is poorly defined. Your group will first need to decide what the mandatory object is, i.e. whether one of the two upper trunks is a continuation of the lower one. Once that has been determined, your group will have to decide on which side of that object your disc passed.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:04 PM
Birdie Member

Re the new smoking rules, 3.03 Player Misconduct.

The paragraph/clause structure seems a bit confusing to my mind.

The primary text for clause 'G.' solely addresses Junior-Only events. But then sub-clause G.1 talks about adult NT and elite events.

Normally I would expect the sub-clause to only address matters within the context of the parent clause. That isn't happening here.

And then the numbered sub-clauses go on to address both adult and junior only events.

It is a bit confusing. Sorry, no alternative suggestions.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 72
Niced 374 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
With the removal of QA-MAN-3 is the idea that the group shouldn't be deciding for themselves where the Mando is? That they should be consulting the TD when it's unclear?

Sounds good to me.
Exactly.

Niced: (2)