Old 07-23-2020, 05:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 62
Niced 114 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
Definitely a cool idea, but I think has a couple of limitations. First was already mentioned, collecting enough data points to actually have some useful information. Park jobs will result in birdies obviously, but after that you lose context real quick. Is the player who landed in c2 a strong player who just barely missed their line but still canned the putt or was it an ok tee shot by a mediocre player who hit a lucky putt? Putts from further out aren’t as high of a percentage so it’s gonna take that many more data points to actually find the “hot spots” on a hole. Putting style comes into play too...do you push or spin? Prefer uphill to downhill? Was it windy that day?

Neat idea but would need thousands of people playing a hole to be useful. And then there’s also the issue of gps margin of error...at best 15 feet in either direction.
Thanks! I'm not seeing how any of those are limitations of the idea. Yes, more data points are better. the individual situations you mentioned don't mess with the data enough, especially as there are more and more data points. And yes, grabbing even more data such as shot style, weather, etc. would be even better to allow for filters.

What I'm saying is that, even though more detail would make it even better, it'd be great to start with something. Even 100 people playing the hole should give some general indications. For instance, there may be some holes that it's better to aim 15' left of the hole than right on it, because missing left ensures a better putt than missing right. Is that obvious just from looking at the hole? In some cases, it definitely is. But just like how heat maps have redefined how basketball is played, I think it could really help DGers rethink how to play some holes.

I'm especially thinking of par 4s and 5s. When I watch videos I hear commentators say "After your drive, you want to be in this gap because it's better". Yes, it seems to be better. But do the numbers actually bear that out? I'd love to see a heat map indicating this, and it wouldn't take more than a tourney to have some good data to discuss.

Maybe the best way to say what I'm thinking is this: I totally agree that more data = better. But some data > none.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2020, 02:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 238 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
Thanks! I'm not seeing how any of those are limitations of the idea. Yes, more data points are better. the individual situations you mentioned don't mess with the data enough, especially as there are more and more data points. And yes, grabbing even more data such as shot style, weather, etc. would be even better to allow for filters.

What I'm saying is that, even though more detail would make it even better, it'd be great to start with something. Even 100 people playing the hole should give some general indications. For instance, there may be some holes that it's better to aim 15' left of the hole than right on it, because missing left ensures a better putt than missing right. Is that obvious just from looking at the hole? In some cases, it definitely is. But just like how heat maps have redefined how basketball is played, I think it could really help DGers rethink how to play some holes.

I'm especially thinking of par 4s and 5s. When I watch videos I hear commentators say "After your drive, you want to be in this gap because it's better". Yes, it seems to be better. But do the numbers actually bear that out? I'd love to see a heat map indicating this, and it wouldn't take more than a tourney to have some good data to discuss.

Maybe the best way to say what I'm thinking is this: I totally agree that more data = better. But some data > none.
My point is the style of your individual game varies greatly from everybody else. The intended line off the tee in relation to where the disc actually landed and putting ability is lost in translation. Yes an infinite amount of data will help smooth things out, but solely looking for a hot spot and trying to land there isn’t a solid game plan if you’re an out of towner showing up for a tournament. Better than nothing if the data is available yes, but are you willing to put your own fate in the hands of others? Know your own game and play it.

The data portion is definitely interesting, but I still stand by too many variables out of context to dictate how I play my own game. The NBA analogy doesn’t translate, yes players have preferred spots on the court they prefer to shoot from...top of key, wing, baseline, etc but that’s a completely different animal than bending certain shot shapes initially and then being able to follow through with executing the hole.

Not saying it’s a bad idea, just that there’s a lot of untold story behind the scenes. And realistically if adequate data was to be collected, more than likely it would be performed during a pro event. That info simply doesn’t translate to the mere mortal skill set.