Old 07-26-2020, 05:51 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for all the advice guys. Since I don't now what plastics I like I think a variety would be best. I am thinking to get the kc pro aviar, dx roc3 (so that I can experience the variety of flight pattern as it wears in and learn some different shots/ get a feel for what i like/ don't like) a star valkyrie and star leopard, and a champ teebird.

I think I like this combination since a champ teebird is supposed to season in from overstable to dead straight after a while and I think this is future proof since I am an athletic, tall, and lanky and I think I have potential to throw 400+ feet with improvements to my form and the right disc based on what I have seen online watching form videos. I should also mention that I do have small hands for my height (6 ft) and the aviar sometimes feels a little deep and I can't get my index finger fully wrapped around the rim of my leopard. Is that a problem with the teebird/valkyrie/avair and are their other discs I should consider? I suspect that I shouldn't be buying any wide diameter discs since they will likely just feel unwieldy in my hand.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2020, 09:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 197
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 898 Times in 572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCalef View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys. Since I don't now what plastics I like I think a variety would be best. I am thinking to get the kc pro aviar, dx roc3 (so that I can experience the variety of flight pattern as it wears in and learn some different shots/ get a feel for what i like/ don't like) a star valkyrie and star leopard, and a champ teebird.

I think I like this combination since a champ teebird is supposed to season in from overstable to dead straight after a while and I think this is future proof since I am an athletic, tall, and lanky and I think I have potential to throw 400+ feet with improvements to my form and the right disc based on what I have seen online watching form videos. I should also mention that I do have small hands for my height (6 ft) and the aviar sometimes feels a little deep and I can't get my index finger fully wrapped around the rim of my leopard. Is that a problem with the teebird/valkyrie/avair and are their other discs I should consider? I suspect that I shouldn't be buying any wide diameter discs since they will likely just feel unwieldy in my hand.
Don't sleep on Pro, at least for the Leopard! Until you start throwing a lot farther, you won't get turnovers or good hyzer flips out of Star or Champ Leopards. Pro is way more durable than DX, and flies quite a bit more overstable as well. Probably the same could be said about other molds too, but a Pro Leopard is a winner...

I wouldn't worry about hand size until you get into the speed 11 and up range. Grip is one thing that we all have to "come to grips" with. There are some discs in my bag that I didn't feel too comfortable with, at first, but got them figured out before long. The Comet is one, and most deeper putters fit too. By the way, I bag KC Aviars and think they're great if you like beads. They're good for throwing and putting, and only get better with some wear.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:31 PM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 257
Niced 65 Times in 33 Posts

What ever you get, hang on to it. As your form develops, discs you don't like now, could end up becoming your staple disc.
I hated the Teebird when I first started, now I can;t have a bag with out it

Niced: (1)
Old 07-26-2020, 09:47 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 952 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCalef View Post

I had a bad experience with a champ Valk-way too overstable. I like DX and Pro, haven’t thrown the Star enough to decide one way or another.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 197
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 898 Times in 572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
What ever you get, hang on to it. As your form develops, discs you don't like now, could end up becoming your staple disc.
Yes this is good advice and applies to most discs. I like the idea of the Star Valkyrie as well. It may be too beefy at first to get max distance, but that bit of beef also makes it very useful for forehand shots.

One of the advantages of having many discs is that you start throwing them at different times and learning different shots. Yes, you could just try someone else's Valkyrie, or Teebird, or whatever, but you won't really get acquainted with them unless you have them in your bag for round after round.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 134 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
I second/third/whatever that statement. I have a closet with about 70 discs. Some I got in tournaments (player's packs), some given to me, some I've bought. They are all ones that I tried and didn't like, tried and they just don't fly as expected (I bag an Escape that I got from someone who dyes discs, love it - I got an Escape as a gift....don't like it, it feels stiff), some I don't have the arm speed for, and some I just don't like the plastic.

I won't get rid of them since tomorrow or another day, they might be the disc I'm looking for.