Old 07-29-2020, 04:38 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 193 Times in 120 Posts
Default Disc stability vs. Nose Up

So as I continue learning this hobby (obsession), I'm learning to control my discs and release angles better and have discovered some things I can do with my discs that I hadn't tried previously. It seems that I can get a "stable" flight pattern out of a disc by throwing it on a hyzer angle with nose up, and it has a similar flight to a more stable disc of a similar speed thrown nose down with slighty hyzer.

For example - I can throw a harp with a flat to slight hyzer release, and it will have a nice consistent fade. I can throw a slightly beat dx roc with a bit more of a hyzer release, nose up, and it has a very similar flight pattern. Same thing for a broken in star eagle x vs and fresh champ eagle. I've tried this with quite a few of the slots in my bag and found that I can get a fairly similar flight with my less stable disc by throwing nose up hyzers. Makes me wonder why it is comment to "bookend" a slot in your bag with something that is super OS (champ roc for mids, champ wraith for distance drivers, etc.) Do most people just prefer to have the same release angle and let the stability of the disc do it's thing?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2020, 04:41 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 198 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
So as I continue learning this hobby (obsession), I'm learning to control my discs and release angles better and have discovered some things I can do with my discs that I hadn't tried previously. It seems that I can get a "stable" flight pattern out of a disc by throwing it on a hyzer angle with nose up, and it has a similar flight to a more stable disc of a similar speed thrown nose down with slighty hyzer.

For example - I can throw a harp with a flat to slight hyzer release, and it will have a nice consistent fade. I can throw a slightly beat dx roc with a bit more of a hyzer release, nose up, and it has a very similar flight pattern. Same thing for a broken in star eagle x vs and fresh champ eagle. I've tried this with quite a few of the slots in my bag and found that I can get a fairly similar flight with my less stable disc by throwing nose up hyzers. Makes me wonder why it is comment to "bookend" a slot in your bag with something that is super OS (champ roc for mids, champ wraith for distance drivers, etc.) Do most people just prefer to have the same release angle and let the stability of the disc do it's thing?
Nose up limits your distance to the newly created profile of the disc, doesn't it?

You'll get putter like distance no matter what disc you throw, if you are throwing nose-up. At least I think that's the commonly repeated wisdom.

Old 07-29-2020, 04:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 222
Niced 3,645 Times in 2,233 Posts

Need something overstable for wind and flex shots and other utility shots.