Old 07-24-2020, 02:56 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 42
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Tee Area

I'm seeing lately a lot of pros teeing of beside the tee box. Are a lot of TDs in the major tournaments allowing the revised teeing area, even in really dry conditions?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2020, 12:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 134 Times in 89 Posts

Do you mean starting off next to the tee pad and ending up on the tee pad? Or completely off the tee pad?

If you mean completely off the tee pad, it could be due to a couple of things (all of which I have seen in tournaments I participated in or was a volunteer at).

Slippery tee pads: not just wet....I've seen dusty ones where they were difficult to clean off.
Tournament changed basket location and the tee pad doesn't point to the new location, so players are allowed to tee off next to the pad - for example: a hole playing to a different hole's basket - hole #1 playing to hole #2's basket.
A short tee pad where players couldn't make a good run up and complained; so following rounds were allowed to use the area next to the tee pad.
Tee pad cracked/damaged and has a tripping hazard.

I'm sure there are other reasons....but those are one's I've seen.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:47 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm talking completely off the tee pad. It seems a lot of tournaments are allowing it, even if the tee pad is clean and dry. For instance this pic from the DGLO practice. Notice that the pad is clean and dry, yet the TD has set up the use of the area beside the tee pad.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:59 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 331
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,117 Times in 1,841 Posts

As far as I know, that's completely at the TD's discretion.

The only times I've seen TD's specifically tell players they could tee off adjacent to the tee at Toboggan have been:

1) Wet conditions.
2) Tees are uneven/lumpy and can affect footing.

Uneven tees used to be a bit of a problem there several years ago. But the last few years (i.e. since they added long tees for MPO and short tees for FPO), the tees have been quite good.

I wonder if players were asked to tee off adjacent during practice rounds, to help ensure the tees stay in good shape?

Niced: (1)
Old 07-24-2020, 03:41 PM
Birdie Member

Is the tee pad too smooth and players have been slipping on it?
Is the tee pad warped? It's hard to tell from that photo, but it does seem to have waves in it.

It's impossible to tell from a photo/video why a TD allowed using the side of the tee pad....you would really have to be there and ask - or contact them to find out why it was done.

My 'best guess' is that it was done for player safety and we just can't easily see why.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:55 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Courses Played: 178
Niced 904 Times in 411 Posts

For DGLO they are most likely allowed to tee off next to the tee within the flags. Some do it because it gives them a better angle and others do it because rubber teepads are a safety hazard and in some peoples opinions are not a viable teeing surface. I personally would tee off next to the tee if they were rubber teepads and we were allowed to and if we werent allowed to then I wouldnt sign up for a tournament in the first place. I slip on all turf and rubber pads and wont play course that have them.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-25-2020, 02:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 213
Niced 543 Times in 327 Posts

DGLO has those rubber “fly mat pads“ for their teeing area, so that TD has allowed marked teeing left or right (as designated). Part of this is no permanent tee pad.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-25-2020, 02:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 492
Niced 1,099 Times in 555 Posts

Those rubber mats can be pretty awful. Especially if they get any kind of light dirt/dust on them. I'd tee off from the side too. I have 3 local courses with these. One is generally pretty good, the other 2, not so much.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:48 PM
Birdie Member

I watched the D-GLO coverage and (I think it during the FPO coverage) the commentator said they were allowed to use the area next to the tee pads because dust was making the pad slippery. At times during the coverage, there was video of a player picking up a broom and sweeping off the tee pad.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:19 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for all the input. I've seen a lot of videos lately with people throwing from off the tee pad and now I can comprehend why, though I see it as a good way to tear up the area beside the tee, and taking it from someone that is happened to, can cause an injury if not watched for ruts and the like.