Old 08-07-2020, 03:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 222
Niced 3,645 Times in 2,233 Posts

Biggest issue with straddle stance is tendency to snapping hip syndrome. Barry Shultz had to change to stagger for awhile. I also got it from straddle putting, I like straddle, but my body doesn't. KJUSA will likely have issue in the future. Calvin's hip motion is much more subdued, helps being that lanky.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2020, 04:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 175
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,204 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Biggest issue with straddle stance is tendency to snapping hip syndrome.
Interesting, I did not know that. I had snapping band syndrome once, but that was from throwing sidearm. Nasty business, I thought I had dislocated my hip.

I normally putt inline (or nearly so), but straddle putt is useful for obstructed lies and long jump putts.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 543 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
This is exactly what I want to try to switch to myself. Maybe a hybrid Calvin/KJUSA. I think it will be easier for me to keep it more consistent. I like the idea of the straddle stance as I think it's easiest to repeat that stance consistently.
One advantage of the straddle stance -- you nearly always have two options (straddle left or straddle right) and you rarely have a place on the course where your normal stance is uncomfortable. Stagger stance putters are forced to go straddled way more often than straddle stance putters are forced to go staggered. I learned that from an older pro many, many years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Biggest issue with straddle stance is tendency to snapping hip syndrome. Barry Shultz had to change to stagger for awhile. I also got it from straddle putting, I like straddle, but my body doesn't. KJUSA will likely have issue in the future. Calvin's hip motion is much more subdued, helps being that lanky.
I control this issue by using the "crooked straddle" Find what our hips do when you screw up and always have the bad side slightly behind the good side.

Old 08-07-2020, 05:55 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 267 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
One advantage of the straddle stance -- you nearly always have two options (straddle left or straddle right) and you rarely have a place on the course where your normal stance is uncomfortable. Stagger stance putters are forced to go straddled way more often than straddle stance putters are forced to go staggered. I learned that from an older pro many, many years ago.
Yep. I almost switched to just straddle putting full time. Using a more traditional stance I almost always find myself forced to straddle a few times a round either to get a look from behind an obstacle or because my lie doesn’t allow room behind it for a normal stance. Although I seem to make a pretty high percentage of straddle putts it just isn’t comfortable for me when I have to do it. If a guy were to just straddle putt everything he wouldn’t have to change anything up on any of his putts.

I don’t think I can think of a circumstance where you couldn’t straddle putt but there are definitely times a straddle is your only option.

Niced: (1)