#1651  
Old 08-02-2019, 01:53 PM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 144
Posts: 950
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz58 View Post
And here I was thinking all this race talk sh*t was left back on facebook or some other SJW site. Silly me! What's next? Political debates?
The real world bleeds into disc golf at times, and we're people - so when the topics blend, we get into them. If its excessive - mods can deal with moving posts to another appropriate subforum. Given enough time - every thread is going to drift away from the focal point. A better strategy for re-engaging, better than whining at least, is to make a post in the thread that is focused on driving a disc golf oriented conversation.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #1652  
Old 08-02-2019, 03:16 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,914
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Why would you limit what you stand up for just because of race or gender? To me that sounds like overcompensating for something deeper within. "like I am" please...

Let me know what or who you think I should stand up for and I'll consider it. However, I'd think it would be obvious that by disposition I'd stand up for myself, and via that, other's like me. It's easy to stand up for those like you, a lot harder to stand up for those who are different.
Reply With Quote
  #1653  
Old 08-02-2019, 03:29 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,914
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts
Default

As a community member, I typically try and stand up for everyone in our community. Even when I take exception to something someone has done, take Ricky's foot faults, I try also to recognize their strengths. It is only those who come here and continually pile on others and other's ideas that I really don't care for. And there are some here like that. Given that the membership in the sport is - pull number out of backside - something like 80% white male, I'm thinking they can take care of themselves. If they really need me to support them, emotionally, ecumenically, with a pint - in the right situation, then good enough. I refuse to be a father figure though.

In general, I do notice that white guys can dish it out plenty but taking it back elicits a good deal of poor me verbiage. Bah, it's the golden rule, give out what you want back, treat others like you want to be treated.
Reply With Quote
  #1654  
Old 08-02-2019, 09:08 PM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,232
Niced 905 Times in 536 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Let me know what or who you think I should stand up for and I'll consider it. However, I'd think it would be obvious that by disposition I'd stand up for myself, and via that, other's like me. It's easy to stand up for those like you, a lot harder to stand up for those who are different.
man...I disagree on so many levels. "It's easy to stand up for those like you." What does that even mean? I could care less what color, race, financial level, etc, someone is, when it comes to standing up for something or some issue. I can stand up for the black community in Chicago (where I was raised) who need help, just as easy as standing up for good people who want to come into our country legally, JUST as easy as I can stand up for the old white guy looking for a job at Walmart because he doesn't have much left after paying his medical bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
In general, I do notice that white guys...
"white guys".. jeesh... What I question is the subliminal response from certain people who feel motivated to publicly announce they're (any color) and go out of their way to let people know...."I'm (any color) but I'm also a good (any color) person". I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, or that you personally are good or bad. What I am saying is, it's ok to be any color and do good things for people of any color, and you can do those good things without addressing the fact publicly that you yourself are that any color. And when you said:

"That is embarrassing to me since I like to think I stand up for others who aren't white and male, like I am."

Is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You could have easily just said "That is embarrassing to me since I like to think I stand up for others." but on a subliminal level you felt the need to publicly let us know you are good person because you stand up for non whites even though you are yourself, a white person. I just don't subscribe to this mindset and I think it's a byproduct of the social state of our current society.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #1655  
Old 08-02-2019, 09:22 PM
Hampstead's Avatar
Hampstead Hampstead is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spaceship Earth
Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 3,247
Niced 1,599 Times in 527 Posts
Default

Way too many professors lecturing in a CCDG thread.


Now let's watch some disc golf!

Reply With Quote
  #1656  
Old 08-02-2019, 09:34 PM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,202
Niced 4,219 Times in 1,763 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Way too many professors lecturing in a CCDG thread.


Now let's watch some disc golf!
I feel like we have way to many people lecturing in threads nowadays...it's no fun around here anymore.

Reply With Quote
  #1657  
Old 08-02-2019, 10:12 PM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,232
Niced 905 Times in 536 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I feel like we have way to many people lecturing in threads nowadays...it's no fun around here anymore.
yah... guilty as charged. It's weird...it is easy to forget what topic thread you're in.
Reply With Quote
  #1658  
Old 08-02-2019, 10:18 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,914
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
man...I disagree on so many levels. "It's easy to stand up for those like you." What does that even mean? I could care less what color, race, financial level, etc, someone is, when it comes to standing up for something or some issue. I can stand up for the black community in Chicago (where I was raised) who need help, just as easy as standing up for good people who want to come into our country legally, JUST as easy as I can stand up for the old white guy looking for a job at Walmart because he doesn't have much left after paying his medical bills.



"white guys".. jeesh... What I question is the subliminal response from certain people who feel motivated to publicly announce they're (any color) and go out of their way to let people know...."I'm (any color) but I'm also a good (any color) person". I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, or that you personally are good or bad. What I am saying is, it's ok to be any color and do good things for people of any color, and you can do those good things without addressing the fact publicly that you yourself are that any color. And when you said:

"That is embarrassing to me since I like to think I stand up for others who aren't white and male, like I am."

Is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You could have easily just said "That is embarrassing to me since I like to think I stand up for others." but on a subliminal level you felt the need to publicly let us know you are good person because you stand up for non whites even though you are yourself, a white person. I just don't subscribe to this mindset and I think it's a byproduct of the social state of our current society.

I wonder how we got to the social state we are in? Must have been a bunch of folks taking advantage? Because the only folks who've taken advantage are those other guys.
Reply With Quote
  #1659  
Old 08-03-2019, 10:21 AM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,202
Niced 4,219 Times in 1,763 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
yah... guilty as charged. It's weird...it is easy to forget what topic thread you're in.
Trust me...it's not just you and honestly you don't come to mind when I think of the worse offenders.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #1660  
Old 08-03-2019, 03:18 PM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,087
Niced 4,333 Times in 2,291 Posts
Default

nevermind.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CA Central Coast Camping discgolfaholic Vacations & Road Trips 7 04-16-2015 02:57 PM
Central Coast Disc Golf's Paul McBeth Video "Ask Me Anything" Aim For The Chains General Disc Golf Chat 126 02-21-2015 02:49 AM
Awesome Disc Golf Vids MurderMike41370 General Disc Golf Chat 95 12-26-2010 11:17 PM
Disc Golf Vids tennessee General Disc Golf Chat 59 05-30-2010 07:25 AM
Best Disc Golf Vids Online? tomjulio General Disc Golf Chat 49 07-17-2009 03:37 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.