Old 08-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 144
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz58 View Post
And here I was thinking all this race talk sh*t was left back on facebook or some other SJW site. Silly me! What's next? Political debates?
The real world bleeds into disc golf at times, and we're people - so when the topics blend, we get into them. If its excessive - mods can deal with moving posts to another appropriate subforum. Given enough time - every thread is going to drift away from the focal point. A better strategy for re-engaging, better than whining at least, is to make a post in the thread that is focused on driving a disc golf oriented conversation.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2019, 03:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Why would you limit what you stand up for just because of race or gender? To me that sounds like overcompensating for something deeper within. "like I am" please...

Let me know what or who you think I should stand up for and I'll consider it. However, I'd think it would be obvious that by disposition I'd stand up for myself, and via that, other's like me. It's easy to stand up for those like you, a lot harder to stand up for those who are different.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:29 PM
* Ace Member *

As a community member, I typically try and stand up for everyone in our community. Even when I take exception to something someone has done, take Ricky's foot faults, I try also to recognize their strengths. It is only those who come here and continually pile on others and other's ideas that I really don't care for. And there are some here like that. Given that the membership in the sport is - pull number out of backside - something like 80% white male, I'm thinking they can take care of themselves. If they really need me to support them, emotionally, ecumenically, with a pint - in the right situation, then good enough. I refuse to be a father figure though.

In general, I do notice that white guys can dish it out plenty but taking it back elicits a good deal of poor me verbiage. Bah, it's the golden rule, give out what you want back, treat others like you want to be treated.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 905 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Let me know what or who you think I should stand up for and I'll consider it. However, I'd think it would be obvious that by disposition I'd stand up for myself, and via that, other's like me. It's easy to stand up for those like you, a lot harder to stand up for those who are different.
man...I disagree on so many levels. "It's easy to stand up for those like you." What does that even mean? I could care less what color, race, financial level, etc, someone is, when it comes to standing up for something or some issue. I can stand up for the black community in Chicago (where I was raised) who need help, just as easy as standing up for good people who want to come into our country legally, JUST as easy as I can stand up for the old white guy looking for a job at Walmart because he doesn't have much left after paying his medical bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
In general, I do notice that white guys...
"white guys".. jeesh... What I question is the subliminal response from certain people who feel motivated to publicly announce they're (any color) and go out of their way to let people know...."I'm (any color) but I'm also a good (any color) person". I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, or that you personally are good or bad. What I am saying is, it's ok to be any color and do good things for people of any color, and you can do those good things without addressing the fact publicly that you yourself are that any color. And when you said:

"That is embarrassing to me since I like to think I stand up for others who aren't white and male, like I am."

Is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You could have easily just said "That is embarrassing to me since I like to think I stand up for others." but on a subliminal level you felt the need to publicly let us know you are good person because you stand up for non whites even though you are yourself, a white person. I just don't subscribe to this mindset and I think it's a byproduct of the social state of our current society.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-02-2019, 09:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,599 Times in 527 Posts

Way too many professors lecturing in a CCDG thread.

Now let's watch some disc golf!

Old 08-02-2019, 09:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,219 Times in 1,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Way too many professors lecturing in a CCDG thread.

Now let's watch some disc golf!
I feel like we have way to many people lecturing in threads nowadays...it's no fun around here anymore.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 905 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I feel like we have way to many people lecturing in threads nowadays...it's no fun around here anymore.
yah... guilty as charged. It's weird...it is easy to forget what topic thread you're in.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
man...I disagree on so many levels. "It's easy to stand up for those like you." What does that even mean? I could care less what color, race, financial level, etc, someone is, when it comes to standing up for something or some issue. I can stand up for the black community in Chicago (where I was raised) who need help, just as easy as standing up for good people who want to come into our country legally, JUST as easy as I can stand up for the old white guy looking for a job at Walmart because he doesn't have much left after paying his medical bills.

"white guys".. jeesh... What I question is the subliminal response from certain people who feel motivated to publicly announce they're (any color) and go out of their way to let people know...."I'm (any color) but I'm also a good (any color) person". I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, or that you personally are good or bad. What I am saying is, it's ok to be any color and do good things for people of any color, and you can do those good things without addressing the fact publicly that you yourself are that any color. And when you said:

"That is embarrassing to me since I like to think I stand up for others who aren't white and male, like I am."

Is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You could have easily just said "That is embarrassing to me since I like to think I stand up for others." but on a subliminal level you felt the need to publicly let us know you are good person because you stand up for non whites even though you are yourself, a white person. I just don't subscribe to this mindset and I think it's a byproduct of the social state of our current society.

I wonder how we got to the social state we are in? Must have been a bunch of folks taking advantage? Because the only folks who've taken advantage are those other guys.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,219 Times in 1,763 Posts

Quote:
yah... guilty as charged. It's weird...it is easy to forget what topic thread you're in.
Trust me...it's not just you and honestly you don't come to mind when I think of the worse offenders.

Niced: (1)

Old 08-03-2019, 03:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,333 Times in 2,291 Posts

nevermind.

Niced: (1)