Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 10-06-2017, 02:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 98 Times in 40 Posts
Default Disc Recommendations for a 10 year old?

My 10 year old son, who has tried several sports, has never found a sport that he liked ( he's more of the high IQ intellectual type ), until he went with me to play disc golf yesterday. I think his main issue is that he expects sports to come as easily to him as academics but they don't. Yesterday I let him throw my 152g Sidewinder about 30 or so times and by the end of the round he was actually throwing it straight (a little too high, but straight) and I'd guesstimate between 80 and 100 feet. He was in the fairway a lot more than I was He didn't get to play but one full hole because of the guys coming up behind us but he did make a 6 on a 310' hole.

What couple discs and weights (not sure how light I should go for a 10 year old) would you suggest for a 5'1" 140 pound non-athletic 10 year old?

Thanks for the advice for my son!!!

TripleB
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 32 Times in 16 Posts

Lat64 Diamond and a low profile putter of your choice. I think the new DX Aviar3's are an economical choice.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-06-2017, 03:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 148 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Lat64 Diamond and a low profile putter of your choice. I think the new DX Aviar3's are an economical choice.
My 9 year old grandson likes my 150g Aviars/Sharks and my 155g Wedge, but he LOVES my 145g Birdie. It is by far his favorite disc.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-06-2017, 03:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 44
Niced 330 Times in 217 Posts

My almost 6 year old son throws about the same distance as yours on his longer throws. He throws mostly forehand although he can throw backhand too, just not quite as far or accurately. He has tried pretty much every disc I own I think. He even likes meat hooks like Gators and Firebirds although I think he's starting to recognize that they don't go as far. What he throws furthest typically (forehand at least) is a beat 150g ZeroG Scorpius (basically the same as a Blizzard Destroyer). It used to be my roller disc so it's pretty beat. I think the lighter weight is key for kids since they don't have as much strength as an adult. If I were buying him something fresh for a distance driver, I'd be looking at an understable mold that's pretty lightweight, like in the 130-150 range so it's easier to get up to speed and will have some turn even at 100 feet of power.

I also got him a mini Comet and he's ripped that thing over 100 feet a few times. Your 10 year old is probably beyond the point of wanting or needing to play with mini discs, but they are fantastic for smaller kids. For kids, I think the most important thing is that they're having fun so they want to keep playing. There are people on here who will say that buying them a high speed driver is irresponsible because it will teach them bad form, etc., etc. But I think that getting too up tight about teaching them perfect form or all those things they recommend for adult beginners is way less important for a kid than having a good time so they want to play again.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 236 Times in 197 Posts

My daughter loves her Diamond and is a big fan of the Swan and light weight Polecats.

She can actually throw the slow discs much further and uses the Diamond for approaches lol.

She likes my 150 Atom too.

Main thing, find smaller rims and lighter weights. Nothing is as demoralizing as bad throws because they can’t grip a disc, or it’s just way too much for them.

Have fun!
Old 10-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
There are people on here who will say that buying them a high speed driver is irresponsible because it will teach them bad form, etc., etc. But I think that getting too up tight about teaching them perfect form or all those things they recommend for adult beginners is way less important for a kid than having a good time so they want to play again.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond...and passing along the info on your 6 year old.

The only reason I let my son throw my Sidewinder is because it was the lightest disc I had a 152g. Probably not the best type of disc for him to start his disc golf career but it's all I had in my bag lighter than 163g.

I told him I'd let him pick out a putter he liked (model and color) and I'd order it for him. I figured if he got to pick it out then he would be more excited about going to the course and using it. I was trying to narrow the weights down before I gave him free rein on on the colors

I was thinking maybe a light putter and a light midrange would be all he would need right now (and he can continue to carry my Sidewinder if he likes).

Thanks for all the input so far.

TripleB
Old 10-06-2017, 03:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 21
Niced 97 Times in 67 Posts

My 6 year old crushes, relatively, and 132 star lite teebird. He can get it to fly strait for a a good 50-75 feet. I think weight is the biggest thing to worry with a kid. And like said before, if they have fun that's the most important. I remind my kid of rule #1 of disc golf all the time; the person who has the most fun wins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2017, 04:27 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinntastic View Post
I think weight is the biggest thing to worry with a kid. And like said before, if they have fun that's the most important. I remind my kid of rule #1 of disc golf all the time; the person who has the most fun wins
Great rule!!!

Right now my thinking is:

1) a 145g to 150g putter and letting him choose his favorite one and color between: Wedge, Birdie, Aviar3, Aviar, Aviar Classic, Dart, Soft Magnet, Mirage, and Polecat

2) a 140g to 147g midrange and again letting him choose his favorite one and color between: Buzzz, Cobra, Manta, Shark, Skeeter, and Stingray

3) Letting him keep my 152g Sidewinder since he had so much fun, and did so well, with it yesterday

And all in the cheapest plastic for right now.

TripleB
Old 10-06-2017, 04:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 148 Times in 108 Posts

Wedge isn't a real putter, more like a hybrid.

Fun is all that matters, whether you're 10 or 100.

Kids like visuals. DX Birdie has a great stamp in any color. My pink Colt stamp is popular with kids also.

Last edited by PBokor; 10-06-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 44
Niced 330 Times in 217 Posts

DX Rocs are also great in light weights. Sounds like a good plan! You might consider a little heavier putter, maybe up to 160 or so. They're a little better in wind and a little extra weight in a putter doesn't bother most people or affect how far they can putt. If you can get into a store with a selection of putters to see how they feel in the hand, that's always best since hand feel is probably the most important thing for a putter.

Niced: (1)