Old 09-07-2017, 10:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 99 Times in 77 Posts

The courses I play most frequently are in shared parks. Sure, people get in the way sometimes. No big deal, as they have just as much right be in the park as I do. I just give folks a heads up that they are in the way and I don't want to hit them by accident. No reason to over-complicate things. The people I've run into always move without issue, and most thank me for the heads up. Honestly, I have experienced way more issues with other disc golfers being stupid/rude/oblivious than people using the park for walking, running, etc.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-07-2017, 01:11 PM
Still a puppy

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 198 Times in 129 Posts

I had a dude walk right between me and the basket at valley view hole#16, According to him a disc golf course is a great place to have a picnic. And on that same hole a bunch of people playing pokemon go, standing in the middle of the fairway.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 12
Niced 56 Times in 26 Posts

Yesterday I got to the #6 at Hiestand Park and was confronted by a gang of 4 "four and three quarter year old"
kindergartners charging the tee pad. Cleverly built teacher lagging behind. What a hoot. She was freakin a bit because
the kids were way too close to a STRANGER. She had no clue she was on a disc course.

I had spotted them earlier from the hilltop tee on #3, walking on the path across the creek and 500 feet away. Did I mention
she was cleverly built.

It was fun. The kids were going thru my bag looking at discs.... without asking first. The woman was horrified.
They had me laughing, all 4 talking at once and pulling my pant leg to get my attention
which didn't help her seize control of these reckless youths. I edified them on the risks.
I also made them sit down and be quiet when I eventually teed off.

Additionally, there's a jake turkey that's been occupying The back part of the course since late May. He seems to understand the game and poses no hazard.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 285
Niced 1,622 Times in 837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinum View Post
The courses I play most frequently are in shared parks. Sure, people get in the way sometimes. No big deal, as they have just as much right be in the park as I do. I just give folks a heads up that they are in the way and I don't want to hit them by accident. No reason to over-complicate things. The people I've run into always move without issue, and most thank me for the heads up. Honestly, I have experienced way more issues with other disc golfers being stupid/rude/oblivious than people using the park for walking, running, etc.
Agreed to all of this.

In all my rounds, I can only recall one incident where a Non-DG'er was a complete rectal orifice when I explained he and his two young daughters were sitting in a fairway. There was hardly any escalation... I explained and the guy's first response was to drop start dropping F-bombs and other choice language you wouldn't necessarily expect a parent to use with kids under the age of 10 present... and basically threatened me in the process.

Quickly realized that neither he or the conversation were going anywhere, and walked away.

The thing that really bothered me was it was a 500+ ft hole (Cass Benton #18), and due to the terrain/shape of the fairway/foliage, completely out of sight of people who would be hucking be distance drivers as hard as they can in their direction, without even realizing kids were sitting there.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Niced 204 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolfy View Post
... a bunch of people playing pokemon go, standing in the middle of the fairway.
My pet peeve. One of our local, shared use courses is apparently a haven for rare, imaginary critters. It has gotten better this year as the fad diminishes, but I have often waited 10-15 minutes for the 'fighters' to complete their quest.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:34 AM
Still a puppy

Years Playing: 3.5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 198 Times in 129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBokor View Post
My pet peeve. One of our local, shared use courses is apparently a haven for rare, imaginary critters. It has gotten better this year as the fad diminishes, but I have often waited 10-15 minutes for the 'fighters' to complete their quest.

I'm just glad the trend is dying out, it annoyed me alot. People being everywhere in general.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 233
Niced 837 Times in 404 Posts

Came upon a group of 5,6,7 year old kids with a park ranger on a hole at Hudson Mills. The ranger had a golf cart out and was teaching the kids how to frog hunt in the local pond on the hole. Certainly a bad idea, but I would much rather see kids learning to love the outdoors (opposed to Mario Kart) than sate my need to play the hole for the 600th time. We went down to say hi to the kids and talk to the ranger. He seemed oblivious to the danger the kids could be in and encouraged us to just throw over/around the kids. We became insistent that the risk was far too high and though we would gladly skip the hole, others were likely to not be so intelligent. He had a couple orange cones in the golf cart we put on the tee pad, but not before a group of golfers yelled FORE and teed off into the kids and us. Attempted a quick education session with the noobs and decided to sit on the tee pad for a half hour or so, to give the kids a chance to prey upon some unsuspecting amphibians. The park belongs to everyone, and some see the course as an opportunity to pursue other activities. I would hope, as a golf community, we would be the first to embrace this philosophy. After all, is it a tragedy to only get in 23 holes for a round?

Old 09-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 155
Niced 356 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBokor View Post
Had an unfortunate run-in with a pokemon player last summer. My buddy and I had teed off on hole 18 (par 4) at our home course and were getting ready to play our up shots when a teenage girl starts waling down our fairway from the basket. I notified her were we throwing her way (from 250') so she moved about 8' out of the fairway. At this point I decided to just wait for her to get past us to throw. As she approached I attempted to educate her of the danger she placed herself in. The conversation went like this:
Me: You should be aware that people throw these hard circles in the driection you came from"
Her: that's why i moved out of the way
Me: well a few feet is not really safe place. if a disc hits a tree it can bounce directly at you
Her: if you hit a tree that's your problem
Me: if i hit a tree and it bounces into your head, it will be your problem
Her: I'll call the police
Me: If a disc hits you in the head, I will be calling an ambulance while giving you first aid

She mumbled some other smart alec comment as she walked past that i could not hear. My buddy and I just shook our heads. Amazed that she would be so snotty when i was just trying to help her stay safe. I would never have thrown with her there, but there are plenty of noobs that would not have thought twice about chuckin at her.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 41
Niced 29 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
She mumbled some other smart alec comment as she walked past that i could not hear. My buddy and I just shook our heads. Amazed that she would be so snotty when i was just trying to help her stay safe. I would never have thrown with her there, but there are plenty of noobs that would not have thought twice about chuckin at her.
I see this type of attitude plenty, not just in parks or on the course. People seem to take it as a personal insult if you inform them of something they just maybe could have done differently, even to protect themselves or others from harm. If something bad happens, it's got to be the other person's fault. Are egos so fragile now?

Player: People throw hard plastic here, you might consider moving for your own safety.
Park Visitor: They'd better not!

Player 1: You might not want to tee off. There are people in the fairway.
Player 2: Then they'd better move. <tees off> Fore!

Old 09-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 89 Times in 49 Posts

My local 18 hole course was added to a public park that had existed for around 80 years prior. It's a beautiful course, and I constantly remind myself that everyone else has an equal right to enjoy the park, and I make every effort not to infringe on someone else's activity. My greatest fear is that we have one tee-pad that is situated about 100 feet from a knoll, and you have no way of knowing if someone is walking or sitting out of sight in your line of throwing. I try to keep an eye on park activity as I am playing other holes prior to this one to see if anyone seems to be headed for that area.

I would be extremely disappointed if disc golf were to be removed from the park due to complaints from the general public. We disc golfers that use this course need to be constantly aware of how our sport is being perceived by others who use the park for other forms of recreation.

Niced: (1)