Old 09-16-2013, 06:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting. My "home" course has missing and/or inaccurate signage.
Even though it's easy to navigate (it's a short course, just follow the paths), I definitely need to hit the boss up for new updated signs.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2013, 06:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 169
Niced 146 Times in 75 Posts
Send a message via AIM to New013

UNC's course has this problem in a really bad way. If you read the reviews a lot of people underrate the course because of how confusing it can be. The baskets have the wrong numbers on them because the course has been redesigned so many times and if you don't know the layout you will definitely miss holes because in a few places you finish a hole and see the hole after the next one but not the next pad.

It's coupled by the fact there's all kinds of paths going everywhere in parts and they had to move 18 recently so the 18 to 1 walk is really long and if you're not a student you have to park and start on 8 or 9.

I've offered multiple times to put up signs or put the correct numbers on the baskets and every time I'm told it'll be done just be patient. So I'm done with offering, it'll either get fixed or it won't. I don't know how it is in other places but here it seems like if you try to make things better for a course you're met with contempt.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 278
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

It depends on the course. Some of the best courses just have a flow that makes navigation aids unnecessary. of course, those are usually the ones with great navigation aids.

anyways, yeah, for my "local" courses i know my way around. but when reviewing said courses, i consider how easy it would be for a first timer.

awesome signs are always a perk, but a simple piece of wood with an arrow pointing "next tee" if its not obvious does wonders for my appreciation of a course
Old 09-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 194
Niced 35 Times in 20 Posts

The last course I played had obviously reconfigured the course from a 9-hole to an 18-hole. What is left behind is a bunch of pads and baskets with no signs or numbers, several with correct signs/numbers, and a few with incorrect signs/numbers. In my mind, a can of spray paint and some stencils to mark the teepads, and some stick-on numbers to relabel the baskets would be a huge help. Total cost would be about $25. But this is in a city park, so there may be some bureaucracy to navigate...
Old 09-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Banned

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

deis hill has some of the best signs i have ever seen

Old 09-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
Niced 18 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
UNC's course has this problem in a really bad way. If you read the reviews a lot of people underrate the course because of how confusing it can be. The baskets have the wrong numbers on them because the course has been redesigned so many times and if you don't know the layout you will definitely miss holes because in a few places you finish a hole and see the hole after the next one but not the next pad.

It's coupled by the fact there's all kinds of paths going everywhere in parts and they had to move 18 recently so the 18 to 1 walk is really long and if you're not a student you have to park and start on 8 or 9.

I've offered multiple times to put up signs or put the correct numbers on the baskets and every time I'm told it'll be done just be patient. So I'm done with offering, it'll either get fixed or it won't. I don't know how it is in other places but here it seems like if you try to make things better for a course you're met with contempt.
This is such an interesting topic in rating courses. Because to some extent, you are rating the course as a whole, not just for locals. And I think locals would care less about the rating. But I also agree that it's not fair to completely trash a course for being unfriendly to visitors.

I really think the review should clearly state that.

But as far as the issues of signage, I think it's really important. Proponents of the sport need also to be proponents of signage. As much as it's hard to believe, some of those randoms throwing Lids at the wrong basket will end up being professionals.

Honestly, who are the ratings for? It really seems like ratings are much more for travelers than for locals. I'm not going to stop playing the closest course if I read that it only has 2 stars. I think that ratings are much more relevant to the visitors so I think it is important to state why you are giving the course that rating.

I also understand that ratings have other purposes than "ease of use" for the visitor. Part of a rating implies caliber. I think that signage should play a minor role in rating but I do think that it does in fact have a role. But I also think you should clearly state that in a review.

Last edited by tampabay; 09-16-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 129
Niced 75 Times in 35 Posts

Navigation is a very important aspect of my reviews. I also enjoy traveling and playing different courses. Many times I do not have a lot of time to wander around looking for baskets and the next hole, so tee signs are a big help.

Locally, we have excellent tee signs at 1 course, good tee signs at 2 other courses and the rest of the courses have terrible tee signs. I think it is especially important for our courses to have accurate tee signs because we have at least 3 pin placements at our 18 holes courses and it is nice to know which placement they are calling "A,B & C" placements as well as distances.

Additionally, when we have tournament, out-of-towners come in to play and expect that us "locals" tell them which placement the basket is in and how long the hole is. Sometimes, even I (the local) do not know which placement it is in and how long that hole is, just that I throw my Orc (or whatever) on that hole/placement.

Tee signs are also important for beginners to see how the hole is laid out and where each placement is. Plus, graphic tee signs give opportunity to raise money for the course through sponsorships and an opportunity to advertise our disc golf club website, which generates interest in the sport and raises awareness that these courses were installed by hard working volunteers.

I literally cannot say enough good things about tee signs and the importance they play at most courses.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 265
Niced 30 Times in 11 Posts

Personally, I barely give any weight in my ratings to tee signs. But then, I'm a reviewer who doesn't believe it's fair to rate a course on just one round. I review a course mostly on the quality of its individual holes and how well the designer did.

Like it or not, signs are a huge percentage of a rating here at DGCReview. There are lots of reviews where a frustrated reviewer docks a course one or even a full two stars (discs) because they got lost. I don't think that's fair but it is reality.

A map is a wonderful tool. I wish that it was easier for newbies to locate the maps on the course pages here. I think instead of "Links/Files" tab, put a link on the course page directly to the map, like the link to the GPS coordinates. (I know it's one click instead of two...but it helps )

I don't think I've ever gotten lost on a new course when I had a good map.

Last edited by MikeK; 09-16-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 189
Niced 6 Times in 2 Posts

I completely understand why they aren't the first thing in. Concrete pads, fairway maintenance, and good baskets are priorities for the people playing most of the rounds.

But I lived in Omaha when Hummel was built and know how tough that is to navigate. I know a lot of reviewers have come through, played it, loved the design, but rightfully dinged it for navigation. No one enjoys walking around a course in search of the next tee, and the fact is that most of us aren't going to search out the local disc golf club's facebook page to post that we're coming through to play and would anyone please show us around please?

I definitely take it into account in my reviews. And top notch courses have no excuse for having poor navigation. There are great courses that don't need tee signs (Flip City; the score card has the distances, the baskets are usually visible, and navigation is simple). But Blue Ribbon Pines has laughable tee signs. Not worth the effort they put into them at all, and I really could have used good tee signs there.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:04 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 346
Niced 301 Times in 155 Posts

I think it's Adelaide in Fond du Lac nearby...but the easiest, most ingenious thing I've seen for navigation is painting one of the chains on the basket to point in the direction of the next tee. SO simple, but such a great idea.