* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 358 Times in 236 Posts
Default Mike C's Bag

Here's my current bag.

Putters

-SS Wizard 174 new. Pretty stable, still being broken in. Mainly for putting.
-SS Wizard 173 very worn. Super floppy, very straight flying. Only for putting...go to anhyzer putter.
-S Wizard 179 super worn. Flies straight but still fights wind well on a 300' drive. I've got a few aces and basket hits with this one
-Evo Wizard 174, broken in. Very little HSS, but still a nice fade at the end. Go to driving wizard if there's a good chance of hitting trees.

Mids

-QMS 180g well broken in.

Drivers

-171g Star Leopard, fairly new. Flies great, more workable than my 175's but not flippy feeling.
-172.7g Champ Teebird. My favorite Teebird, flies just how one should.
-175g Star Destroyer. Newest addition. Flies like a longer Teebird for me.

I throw the Wizards up to 340 feet or so. I can control them well in that range. I plan to get another Evo Wizard in max weight and keep the flashing on, so I have a really stable Wizard for headwind driving. Also want to switch out the Soft with aces on it for a new Organic and beat one into a straight driver. I plan to try out a Magic to see how it compares to a beat SS Wizard for anhyzer putts and understable driving duties under ~320 feet.

Recently switched from the Buzz to the QMS. Flies similar for me, just a tad slower and less stable. I find it holds anhyzer drives better than my 175 Z Buzz. Feels easier to work in all directions, so I'm happy with it. It goes to 355-370 depending on how I'm throwing. Still learning the disc some, only thrown it for a few weeks.

The fairway drivers I'm very happy with. Leopard was my first disc and I still find it useful. It goes right more easily, while the Teebird goes left more easily. I could do with the other what I do with one easily, which has made me consider dropping the Leopard for a beat Teebird, but I figure new 171g Leopards are easier to replace than beat Teebirds. The teebird was my go to driver for a while because I never could find a distance driver that worked for me. I get each of these discs out to the 390-415 range, the Teebird being longer than the Leopard by 10 or 15 feet.

The Destroyer was just added less than a week ago. It's the first distance driver that really clicked for me and felt natural from throw 1. It flies like a longer Teebird, stright with maybe 5-10 feet of left to right movement, then a solid fade. I've had some of my longest drives with it the past week, driving it past 420 feet flat ground in a headwind and over 450 from a slightly elevated teepad. I feel it's going to be a keeper.

Other drivers I'd like to try are a QOLF and PD, but I'm not sure where either would fit in my bag.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just gonna go ahead and call BS on your 340ft putter throws. Let's see a video.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 38
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

an OLF or a PD would only replace your TBs and be 15-20' longer on average. the Destroyer flight you describe is correct but nothing like a TB flight. TB flight has generally 0 left/right action then a slight fade, that's what makes it a TB. Both the OLF and PD will have a subtle L/R action with healthy fade as well.

Bag looks great otherwise.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMaC View Post
it's not as hard to do as you think, you just need a lot of height on the throw.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltik View Post
an OLF or a PD would only replace your TBs and be 15-20' longer on average. the Destroyer flight you describe is correct but nothing like a TB flight. TB flight has generally 0 left/right action then a slight fade, that's what makes it a TB. Both the OLF and PD will have a subtle L/R action with healthy fade as well.

Bag looks great otherwise.
Hmm, I think I'll stick with the TB's then. I'm just very familiar with them and own a nice stack of broken in 11x and 12x champion teebirds.

With a lot of my TB throws, I toss them with a bit of hyzer, high and a bit to the right of where I'm aiming. They sit up fairly flat, go right a few feet, then fade back down. Subtle S flight, though it looks pretty straight when you watch it. That's my distance toss. I can make it hold a straight line then fade but those tosses usually don't go as far.

Quote:
Just gonna go ahead and call BS on your 340ft putter throws.
My feelings are hurt. How did you know I spend my time fabricating the distances I can toss plastic discs in order to inflate my ego.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 86
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
I will agree, 340 for a wizard? Seriously? If you have had the time to develop a throw that will get these out that far, I would assume that you would have had multiple discs in your line up already instead of just 5 molds. I am fan of less is more in disc golf as well, but you might want to mix it up a bit more. Perhaps expand your midrange section to maybe a Roc or Buzzz or even a Cro. Maybe also a Firebird for some sharp hyzers as well.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 28
Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

I like this bag.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 15
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolito View Post
I will agree, 340 for a wizard? Seriously? If you have had the time to develop a throw that will get these out that far, I would assume that you would have had multiple discs in your line up already instead of just 5 molds. I am fan of less is more in disc golf as well, but you might want to mix it up a bit more. Perhaps expand your midrange section to maybe a Roc or Buzzz or even a Cro. Maybe also a Firebird for some sharp hyzers as well.
This part I disagree with. While it is usually recommended that newer players stick to as few molds as possible, I dont thing there is any requirement that once you throw X distance you are supposed to add more molds. If he is gettting the lines he wants, thats all that matters.

I would recommend a Pred or something for an overstable shot, however.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah you could do with a HOG. not sure which one to suggest. the type 1's are shorter than the type 2's. you may do better with a Type 1 since you use only one Mid mold.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 AM
* Ace Member *

I threw Firebirds for a while. Had some really stable rocs go in and out of my bag, tried a pig out, tossed a Flick a few times etc. but none of them stayed. If there's a strong headwind, I throw with lots of hyzer. I haven't had the wind bully me around enough to want to put a hog back into my bag. Maybe when I learn to rip the Destroyer for 475 the Force will be put back in my bag for headwind D driving.

I also shot some videos today of me driving with my Wizards. When I have something uploaded I'll add a link to this thread. Did not get a 340+ throw on film (threw one for ~370 from a 10' elevated teepad but forgot to hit record lol) mainly because of the rain, but I got some nice line shaping recorded.