Old 05-30-2017, 08:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 68 Times in 55 Posts

I love this, I'm right now trying to decide between a Z Comet or a beaten to flippy RW-Pro roc, haven't compared too much side by side but they seem very close in HSS.

I loved the comet, already one basket hit from 100' tight s-curve between trees...

Right now the roc is in the bag. Mostly due to the small rim, only beaded disc in bag when I get my buzzz OS. It's slightly easier getting the hyzerflip to enter Lazer mode with the roc, maybe a pinch more stable then the comet?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2017, 09:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 112 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
If your Z Comet is understable/turns but you just want a dead straight partner, then an X Comet with shoulder is probably great. That X plastic in a mid is nearly as durable as star but with better grip. If you actually want some fade then look at a Roc3 probably. But a DX Roc will get near Comet type flights pretty soon, while not being as durable....so in that case I'd just go X Comet since you already like Comets. They're such similar discs that it depends on the flight you want. There's a lot of room between a Zone and a Comet haha.
Currently in my bag I have a Z Comet which I would say is mostly straight with a little bit of fade and I have never had turn over on me. My X Comet is straighter but can be turned over easier. The Z Comet is the work horse and the X Comet covers more touch shots and turnover shots.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2017, 10:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 72 Times in 47 Posts

i do both.

i have a good cycle of kc pro rocs (but only bag 2 one flippy and one semi fresh) + 2016 usdgc champ rancho roc (perfect slight dome OS rancho roc).

then when winter comes... i swap out my kc rocs with two max weight z comets.

max weight z comets actually need more power and smoothness but have 20+ feet more distance potential. also i fall back into deep love with comets in winter.

i used to be religious about my seasoned kc rocs but now have a cycle of 6 of them that i swap in and out for my spring/summer bag. i know how to throw seasoned kc rocs in any state if i get a couple of warm up throws with them.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 29
Niced 23 Times in 15 Posts

I used to throw wasps, rocs, ghosts etc. and pair them with comets. I've been having a lot of luck lately pairing warriors with elements. Warriors really excel at lower lines and mixing the Evo and S lines cover a lot of stabilities.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:43 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 21 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riltim View Post
I used to throw wasps, rocs, ghosts etc. and pair them with comets. I've been having a lot of luck lately pairing warriors with elements. Warriors really excel at lower lines and mixing the Evo and S lines cover a lot of stabilities.

I switched from Rocs and Ghosts to the Warrior, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I eventually ended up going back to Rocs. The Warrior just didn't season well, losing its HSS before its LSS. Still, it's a great disc.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 140
Niced 74 Times in 57 Posts

I'm currently bagging a Glow Champ Roc3 (overstable), a fresh DX Roc3 (more carry and glide but overstable), a beat DX Roc3 (dead straight), a beat Z Comet (leaks turnover) and a beat X Comet (very flippy). I much prefer the way Roc3s feel in the hand to Rancho Rocs and actually think they have really nice carry/glide when fresh in DX. But my flippy X Comet is the most fun to throw. It's a blast. Easy breezy turnovers that just keep on going.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 78
Niced 130 Times in 98 Posts

I did the Roc/Comet thing for a number of years. What inspired me in the first place was breaking 2 beat DX Rocs over the same winter, so having a premium plastic disc like the z comet was perfect for that slot and it stayed in the bag for a number of years. I basically carried a KC Pro Roc, a DX Roc, a Z Comet, and a beat up X Comet to cover the whole spectrum of stability. I'd normally rotate out the DX Roc to keep them from getting too flippy and overlapping with the comets.

You're really not losing anything in terms of shot selection - just maybe a tick of speed between the two. The comet doesn't like being thrown as hard as a roc, and would rather glide out it's flight than penetrate. I see that as a net positive though, as they are both very similar in feel, but different enough in flight to easily justify carrying both.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-31-2017, 11:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 17 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
The Roc3 I had was less OS then the KC Pro Rancho I had.

Champ Gazelles cover my low ceiling shots pretty well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
So you're implying that a Roc3/Vector/Wasp does low ceiling shots better than a Rancho Roc?? A Rancho Roc is typically more HSS than a Roc3, and I'm going to agree with ORDB that there's not much in that regard that a Roc3 can do that a Rancho Roc cannot. No one is questioning that there aren't instances where you need fairway drivers, but Rancho Rocs do tunnel shots just fine...
I know that over the years that Rocs have came in various stabilities, but the runs of KC I have seen the last couple of years are more stable than overstable. Very good discs and I am not dissing them, but...
I am assuming the OP would be buying new discs, so I stick with my answer.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:40 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 15 Times in 5 Posts

I cover all my mid shots with wasp, comet, zone. That's my recommendation, OP, for what it's worth. I don't get chances to play enough to beat up some rocs.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 111 Times in 67 Posts

The real question is why anyone cycles rocs with ghosts available.