Old 04-08-2013, 01:26 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Vibram let me down...ish.

Well, after playing in the Vibram Birdie Bash I fell in love with my Trak. It quickly became my go to fairway driver for dead straight tunnels. However, just two weeks of use led me to a day of sorrow when I clanked a drive off the basket and the gnarly roll following led to a splash into the pond that a 1.5 hour swim could not lead to the rediscovery of the beloved Trak.

A week of waiting led to the arrival of a replacement 168g Trak in my mailbox, though it was a x-link firm rather than the same weight medium it replaced.

Fast forward 2 weeks to today (amount of time seem familiar?), where I again lost a Trak while it remains in my posession. While playing the Noble course this morning I reached for the trusty straight line Trak and sent it flying down the tight wooded fairway. After reaching about 200' down the line it caught a tree solid and dropped dead where it hit. "Yes! No crazy kick into the woods," I thought, but then I went to pick up my disc and came across a gruesome discovery. VIBRAM DURABILITY IS A FARCE! Well, at least it was in this particular case. It seems that in attempts to clear out the shrubby brushes of the already crazy-tight Noble course, the developer cut off a branch close to the trunk of the tree that I hit and left a little bit of a sharp edge sticking out off the trunk towards the teepad. This said edge plunged itself deep into the indestructible Vibram rubber, chewed it up, and spit it out laughing and asking if this is all I had. My disc and I were ashamed and defeated. To add to the shame, this all happened while I was wearing my Birdie Bash shirt too, proudly displaying the name of the trusty rubber in which the shirt instructs that we trust.

A hole of failure...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130407_235936_LLS.jpg (76.6 KB, 452 views)
File Type: jpg 20130407_235917_LLS.jpg (55.8 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg 20130407_235845_LLS.jpg (99.7 KB, 348 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

The bright side of the day is that I finished the course at 4up, and that was with two bogeys coming on two of the more simple holes (15 & 16) at Noble which I more than half of the time bird. Let my focus down and poor and rushed putting cost me. However, shooting anything within 6over at Noble is a very, very solid score.

Also, I made the 45 minute drive up to Tye F Cunningham Memorial course in Edmond (AKA Mitch Park), and busted out an ace on #4 on the longs placement...

While still wearing my Vibram shirt...with a GL Flow. Might be a sign...
Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Picture proof...

edit just turn your screen sideways. I can't figure out this silly smartphone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130407_174058.jpg (151.4 KB, 343 views)
Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

From your description that sharp piece of tree would do damage to any disc. That sucks man.. that's a sweet lookin' Trak too. I myself have recently fallin in love with the Trak as well. Got one in trade about a week ago, and I have already traded for 2 more. It flies past my go-to champ Teebird by about 25' every time. The Medium plastic is freakin amazing.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 AM
Banned

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

you aren't supposed to throw at trees anymore.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also have a Medium Ascent on the way jus to see if Vibrams other fairway is just as great.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:58 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn9cian4life View Post
From your description that sharp piece of tree would do damage to any disc. That sucks man.. that's a sweet lookin' Trak too. I myself have recently fallin in love with the Trak as well. Got one in trade about a week ago, and I have already traded for 2 more. It flies past my go-to champ Teebird by about 25' every time. The Medium plastic is freakin amazing.
Right on. I still use my champ T-bird when I need a little fade, but the Trak can get some crazy straight distance, and keep a low hard line while doing it. Realky like the disc.

That said, I'm really surprised to see the amount of damage this thing took from a tree that far off the teepad. It was a legit 200' away and I really didn't get ahold of it; it was much more of a half-pull for accuracy. Had it been right off the pad I would have agreed that no disc aside of the champs and optos would have fared better, but it had to have been slowing down quite a bit by that distance. Beyond that, I guess I just expected better from a disc material that makes such robust claims of durability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangherity View Post
you aren't supposed to throw at trees anymore.
I didn't, but the bastard tree must bave moved itself just as I was releasing. Ever since losing that lower branch that the tree was so close to, it just hasn't felt complete. So much sorrow leads it to playing chicken and jumping in front of perfectly thrown discs and bullying them to the ground.

The insane amounts of trees littering the fairways of Noble leads me to believe that many share this hardwood sorrow...
Old 04-08-2013, 02:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 32
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Could have been worse:

POW!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 39
Niced 18 Times in 9 Posts

I don't think you can blame Vibram for a disc that isn't as durable as you'd like. Sometimes weird things happen and discs take more damage than you'd expect.

I had a KC Pro Roc once hit a tree and lose a chunk the size of a penny. **** happens :/ .

Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allurex View Post
I don't think you can blame Vibram for a disc that isn't as durable as you'd like. Sometimes weird things happen and discs take more damage than you'd expect.

I had a KC Pro Roc once hit a tree and lose a chunk the size of a penny. **** happens :/ .
You expect some chunking on KcPro material, and that's partially its appeal. I just didn't expect to see Vibram rubber take such a bad and deep slice on a relatively routine impact, especially with all the durability touting their marketing is solidly based upon.

Like you said though, crazy stuff does happen. Cars break down on the interstate all the time, you just don't expect it to be a Honda Civic you're looking at all broke down. Similar concept with this case.

Last edited by wake_rider; 04-08-2013 at 02:19 AM.