Old 04-08-2013, 02:30 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

My firm Ascent hit the number plate off the tee and had a bit more damage than the Trak you have pictured.

I too am skeptical of the durability. Almost all slow discs are fairly durable due to design, so the putter torture tests should be repeated with the fairways and the Lace. I'm sure they wouldn't be too excited to post their results.

I'd much rather have a tacoed or warped disc than a big ol chunk missing, you can manually fix warping but chunking is a one way street.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Sid the Kid; 04-08-2013 at 02:31 AM. Reason: In case you were wondering I threw the Ascent in the trash.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:57 AM
Banned

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

I THINK THERES SOMETHING YOURE NOT TELLING US, OP.

whats the secret
Old 04-08-2013, 03:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 32
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid the Kid View Post
My firm Ascent hit the number plate off the tee and had a bit more damage than the Trak you have pictured.
I think the problem here is that we are use number plates to begin with.

1) Their edges are somehow always exposed.
2) They reward people who miss high.
3) They beg for graffiti.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Broad Street Bully

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 29
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

It sounds like you let yourself down
Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 194 Times in 102 Posts

Firm is their least durable blend, the softer the blend the more rubber it contains. Send them an email with pics and see what happens.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,208 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
Firm is their least durable blend, the softer the blend the more rubber it contains. Send them an email with pics and see what happens.
I would recommend this. I haven't dealt with Steve Dodge since he left Prime Discs for Vibram, but he went above and beyond for me the one time I sent him a (polite) email with pics of some issues I had with some new discs.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.1
Courses Played: 233
Niced 1,452 Times in 642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_rider View Post
You expect some chunking on KcPro material, and that's partially its appeal. I just didn't expect to see Vibram rubber take such a bad and deep slice on a relatively routine impact, especially with all the durability touting their marketing is solidly based upon.

Like you said though, crazy stuff does happen. Cars break down on the interstate all the time, you just don't expect it to be a Honda Civic you're looking at all broke down. Similar concept with this case.
Funny, exactly what I do expect. I see crappy Honda's broken down on the side of the road all the time. Of course, I also see fine Ford, GM, and Chrysler vehicles driving by the broken down heap of inferior technology. Not a big fan of Vibram, outside of footwear. Never seemed to me that it could be a durable as other plastic. End rant.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts

wonder if you can melt it back together? If steve dodge doesn't want you to send it in for examination, I'd certainly try heating it up and repairing the wound. I do that to my DX all the time. I too would be willing to bet that a medium Trak would have held up better. Live and learn.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 137
Niced 12 Times in 6 Posts

Just cut the chunk out. Bet it doesn't really effect the flight too much.

At least it didn't puncture the flight plate making the disc illegal for tournament play.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 13
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Vibram durability has let me down as well. I picked up a Lace when it came out, took it out to the course and it flew just like a destroyer/nuke for me. Tiny bit of turn on 400' power and it held nicely till 350' before fading out. Now that the weather is nice I put it in my bag instead of my Nuke and used it as my primary distance driver. 3 rounds later and this thing is flippy as hell, this disc literally lost it's stability in the exact same way and exactly as fast as a DX destroyer. The disc is useless to me already unless I want to use it for sky rollers, but since it's rubber it's not a good sky roller candidate. Part of the reason it got flippy so fast is because any spot that it has hit a tree the actual edge of the disc has split into separated layers. It's like the discs are made by laying out many layers of rubber and when you hit a tree the layers separate and fan out - definitely not something you want for a flying disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Funny, exactly what I do expect. I see crappy Honda's broken down on the side of the road all the time. Of course, I also see fine Ford, GM, and Chrysler vehicles driving by the broken down heap of inferior technology. Not a big fan of Vibram, outside of footwear. Never seemed to me that it could be a durable as other plastic. End rant.

Lol - Ford, GM and Chrysler having superior longevity to Honda? You need to check your facts again, pretty much all Japanese cars are more reliable than American made and there are dozens of studies to prove it.

Last edited by Tmart; 04-08-2013 at 10:24 AM.