Old 11-30-2018, 01:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,120 Times in 1,007 Posts

I have mixed feelings about the cedars. They make solid, well-defined obstacles; no hoping your bad-throw will "get through". As such, they can be useful.

And they're evergreen---we need as much green as we can find, in the winter.

On the other hand, they're excellent disc-catchers, and a pain to get discs out of.

And when you decide you don't want them, cut them down and haul them off, the little scales get in your clothes and hair, and torment you for the rest of the day, in revenge.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-30-2018, 01:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 166 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I have mixed feelings about the cedars. They make solid, well-defined obstacles; no hoping your bad-throw will "get through". As such, they can be useful.

And they're evergreen---we need as much green as we can find, in the winter.

On the other hand, they're excellent disc-catchers, and a pain to get discs out of.

And when you decide you don't want them, cut them down and haul them off, the little scales get in your clothes and hair, and torment you for the rest of the day, in revenge.
Couldn't agree more with all of this.

My experience with the last part revolves more around me hitting the low branches with the roll bar on my mower and having the scales fall on me, into my shirt, and between me and my seat back. Itchy and annoying would be a drastic understatement. There's areas where I've literally removed every single cedar branch within an acre that's low enough that my roll bar hits it just because of how annoying they are. Looks like a manicured park when it's done though, so at least there's that.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-30-2018, 01:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Sitting on my office desk, itching, just because I read that.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:51 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 111
Niced 161 Times in 92 Posts

I like cedars, even on the course, but we have a good variety of trees. So much so that I am stealing the hole/tree name idea from Augusta for Broken Oak DGC. At some point I'll post the list, which I think is complete.
Sitting here watching it snow, which likely means little or no work today. Not a total loss however. Dug in 18s tee pad Friday after work. Re-routed hole 3s fairway early yesterday, and now need to finalize that tee location. Buddy came up and helped clean up 13s fairway and expand its green. A very large white pine had fallen into a thicket of smaller pines, and required quite a dissection. A controlled drive should land at circles edge now, and it will be demanding to park.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:53 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 111
Niced 161 Times in 92 Posts

And then we got 14" of snow. With over an inch of rain for Friday, according to the forecast. Should be a great weekend to be out working........yeesh.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 94
Niced 924 Times in 431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddyboots View Post
And then we got 14" of snow. With over an inch of rain for Friday, according to the forecast. Should be a great weekend to be out working........yeesh.
Friday should put us over the top for wettest year on record. At least you will never have to worry about areas becoming wet that are not currently.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:19 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 74 Times in 32 Posts

Ditto with the mixed feelings about cedars. Cedar trees (actually Ashe Juniper trees around here) are the most hated plant in Texas. They suck 33 gallons of water a day from the soil, making the survival of other preferred trees, like the native live oaks, more difficult. The pollen from the male cedar trees is heavy and causes a sinus infecting cedar fever so debilitating that many Texans avoid going outside at all during pollen season (not disc golf players, of course). They grow like weeds, and can cover a previously cleared piece of land in a few short years. But after clearing thousands of cedar trees from our property while developing our disc golf courses, I have found a new appreciation them. Especially the dead ones. We keep the poles from every cedar tree we cut because they make great fences, arbors, benches, etc. As mentioned earlier, they stay green all year, which is great. They're also ideal in those narrow strips of land between fairways, providing some privacy and sound buffering. Lots of birds and other wildlife continue to thrive in the middle of our well used courses, thanks in no small part to cedar trees. And then there are those cedar trees that happened to grow just where you would need a tree to shape shots on a disc golf course. Without them, some of our holes would be much less challenging and fun to play. So yes, I do hate cedar trees with a passion. But as a disc golf course owner, I also love them.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:00 PM
* Ace Member *

As a disc golf course owner, with all the same love-the issues, perhaps my biggest annoyance is the small seedlings that come up everywhere, and are depressingly hard to kill. They're very herbicide-tolerant, and regenerate when cut.

The wildlife part is very true. Birds love them. And, in my part of the country, sucking up water is not an issue.

(For what it's worth, virtually everything with the common name of cedar is actually a juniper.)