Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-02-2019, 10:20 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 147 Times in 115 Posts
Default How much does dome size really matter?

Got a question that came from me being bored driving on the road after a mail call today.
Received a 174 Octane, which I throw max weight or about max weight (I really am not picky haha) for my stable distance drivers. Its PLH is slightly lower than my almost brand new other max weight, but its dome isnt quite as high-but only by a millimeter or so.
Scientifically speaking, how much does a difference in some, that much and otherwise, affect the glide and flight of a disc? Not really asking for any it isnt gonna matter if you... just wanting to know what the difference is. Also difference in what anyone has found, anecdotal evidence would be cool as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2019, 10:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 303
Niced 2,293 Times in 1,306 Posts

depends what glideometer you have

Niced: (1)
Old 12-02-2019, 10:36 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,481 Times in 1,596 Posts

It's more about PLH than it is about the dome. Or more correctly, it's about how dome affects PLH. Generally speaking and all other things being equal...

If the the flight plate pops while the disc is cooling after molding, it tends to force the PLH downward, reducing the disc's stability.

If the flight plate stays flat during cooling, it allows the PLH to remain higher on the disc, resulting in more stability.

That's generally how it works, but you can find some oddball exceptions.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-02-2019, 11:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 74
Niced 164 Times in 122 Posts

If you had two discs that are the same weight, plastic, smoothness, and plh, but one has a dome and the other does not. Then, I would say the domey one will have more glide. I do not think the stability would have a noticeable difference.

I personally think the dome really doesn't matter for normal golf, it is just a preference thing. Such as I like flat firebirds and domey distance drivers, etc. When I use to wanted to throw far I would always use domey discs for the extra glide. Through my personal research I found that a domey driver would fly slightly further than a flat one when the throws are 450+, but even then the difference is only maybe 10-20 ft (20-30 in wind).

Scientifically more dome will create more lift, higher PLH will reduce lift. I want a disc throwing robot to prove these things.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:18 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 147 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
If you had two discs that are the same weight, plastic, smoothness, and plh, but one has a dome and the other does not. Then, I would say the domey one will have more glide. I do not think the stability would have a noticeable difference.

I personally think the dome really doesn't matter for normal golf, it is just a preference thing. Such as I like flat firebirds and domey distance drivers, etc. When I use to wanted to throw far I would always use domey discs for the extra glide. Through my personal research I found that a domey driver would fly slightly further than a flat one when the throws are 450+, but even then the difference is only maybe 10-20 ft (20-30 in wind).

Scientifically more dome will create more lift, higher PLH will reduce lift. I want a disc throwing robot to prove these things.
A disc throwing robot would be so cool. That needs to happen

That way it can be settled... whats the longest driver, how much speed really matters, etc etc

Im a nerd but idk if Im that much of a nerd to do that... the hardest part would be the finger pads ripping off. Not sure how it could be made without damaging the disc.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:25 PM
Banned

Niced 608 Times in 324 Posts

Domes allow for a more forgiving angle of attack. This is why putters can generally be thrown on high lines without stalling. Flat high speed drivers will stall out if thrown with too much pitch. Domes also hide nose up throwing errors. Conversely, a dome will cause more drag on a flat release than a flat disc would, creating more lift and less velocity.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 74
Niced 164 Times in 122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsammons View Post
A disc throwing robot would be so cool. That needs to happen

That way it can be settled... whats the longest driver, how much speed really matters, etc etc

Im a nerd but idk if Im that much of a nerd to do that... the hardest part would be the finger pads ripping off. Not sure how it could be made without damaging the disc.
I have a few ideas but nothing worth constructing yet..
Old 12-03-2019, 11:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 851 Times in 662 Posts

I think dome size does matter, and it should definitely affect your choice(s) if you're in a disc store feeling up some discs to possibly buy. For drivers, higher dome generally equals more glide, slightly less stability, and better distance. In my experience, flat drivers tend to be more overstable, glideless, and have a hard, dumpy late fade. Obviously there are exceptions here. Molds that are understable to begin with can be flat and still fly pretty understable.

In my experience, almost all of the drivers I've tried and hated were flattish versions of what is normally a fairly domey mold. Stuff like Destroyers, Bosses, Nukes. All 3 of those molds fly like crap when the discs are flat.

Being able to feel/hold a disc is a huge advantage when buying. Obviously you aren't going to get that luxury buying online. You really don't know if you're going to get a domey or flat disc in the mail.

IMO, dome size doesn't matter as much with mids. I tend to prefer flatter mids anyway.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:16 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 990 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I think dome size does matter, and it should definitely affect your choice(s) if you're in a disc store feeling up some discs to possibly buy. For drivers, higher dome generally equals more glide, slightly less stability, and better distance. In my experience, flat drivers tend to be more overstable, glideless, and have a hard, dumpy late fade. Obviously there are exceptions here. Molds that are understable to begin with can be flat and still fly pretty understable.

In my experience, almost all of the drivers I've tried and hated were flattish versions of what is normally a fairly domey mold. Stuff like Destroyers, Bosses, Nukes. All 3 of those molds fly like crap when the discs are flat.

Being able to feel/hold a disc is a huge advantage when buying. Obviously you aren't going to get that luxury buying online. You really don't know if you're going to get a domey or flat disc in the mail.

IMO, dome size doesn't matter as much with mids. I tend to prefer flatter mids anyway.
Drivers like Destroyer tend to do better with dome but since I can barely use 12 speed discs I tend to go and get an about average in dome preferring the dome to flat discs but then with the Destroyer I am using Champion plastic. Champion plastic is the less likely plastic of the ones Innova makes to be affected by the dome. Take the Valkyrie I have a low dome nearly flat top Star I use for slight OS purposes as it flies like a Viking and the same dome on my glow Champion flies like a Champion Valkyrie even though the Star is from 2009 Ice Bowl and the Champion is from mid to late 2017. So in therory the Star Should be more US by now but is not due in part of the plastic type.

Dome does matter a bit with midrange, some disc when made flat or 3 top fly more like midrange when the original mold with dome tends to fly with more the putter float to the glide. The dome is why some midrange dome height discs get used for short midrange to approach shots and other flat top get used for standard midrange duties.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 12-03-2019 at 11:19 PM.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,025 Times in 697 Posts

Best example of that for me is the Comet's... been through lots of them.

A flat comet with a low shoulder is a turning Machine, generally a lot easier to get it to go anhyzer and it has a defined fade/hook at the end of flight. It feels like a Comet with a year+ of wear, if you need a "quick" replacement that's what you look for.

A medium dome Comet is a more linear disc and by that I mean straight but proportional turn if any to a mildish fade that starts about midway. Very straight but requires a little more power than a flat one to turn. After a year it's super straight.

A poptop Comet will start out feeling more stable with more HSS and will start fading midflight but slowly. It's weird to see a straight flight continue as it's starting to hyzer out. Now here's where it gets weird, if you can really power it up it will be really straight, glidey and stable at the end... I feel like the release angle is different but if it's your main or only you won't notice. A slight pinch of anhyzer for a straight flight. As it beats in it develops the best glide and holds that stability/ straightness the longest, it's all about beating the HSS out, or having a bigger arm to start with.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 12-04-2019 at 11:34 AM.