#361  
Old 08-12-2017, 08:10 PM
Monkeypaws's Avatar
Monkeypaws Monkeypaws is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SE Minnesota
Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 3,081
Niced 39 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Not sure there is one. Maybe the Witness?
Witness was more US for me, like a Seer, or even a Diamond, if they made a 170 gram one.

River is a pretty special disc in the Trilogy family of discs in my experience.

Depending on the disc and the plastic, they can vary from stable neutral to somewhat under-stable. But I think the core disc they intended is not fliptastic, has great glide, and is what a fairway driver was meant to be, for the masses. This is a finesse disc, and gorillas gonna flip it 100% of the time.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Monkeypaws; 08-12-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old 08-12-2017, 09:32 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 5,450
Niced 559 Times in 449 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
Witness was more US for me, like a Seer, or even a Diamond, if they made a 170 gram one.

River is a pretty special disc in the Trilogy family of discs in my experience.

Depending on the disc and the plastic, they can vary from stable neutral to somewhat under-stable. But I think the core disc they intended is not fliptastic, has great glide, and is what a fairway driver was meant to be, for the masses. This is a finesse disc, and gorillas gonna flip it 100% of the time.
All true. I bag a River myself. Having said that, every River I've had, in Gold Line, Opto, or Moonshine, may have started out straight-stable, but they always work into some understability (some get flippy, some just a gentle turnover).

Also, while I suggested the Witness as the 'nearest' thing, DD really has nothing right at the speed (7 or so) and stability of the River. The River is indeed in a class of its own...

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 08-12-2017, 09:56 PM
wproct's Avatar
wproct wproct is online now
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Iowa
Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 243
Niced 28 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Also, while I suggested the Witness as the 'nearest' thing, DD really has nothing right at the speed (7 or so) and stability of the River. The River is indeed in a class of its own...
Yes, I am starting to understand this. My 168g Goldline River is just the best suited, straightest disc for me that I have ever laid my hands on. I dont think I will ever overpower this disc, but I'm getting distances over 300 feet and I have never done that with any other disc. I just love it more every day that I play with it!

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 08-20-2017, 11:00 PM
GoobyPls's Avatar
GoobyPls GoobyPls is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 434
Niced 86 Times in 62 Posts
Default

I scanned the whole thread and didn't see any references to Moonshine Rivers. I just got a 168g Moonshine and took it to field practice, and it's noticably more stable than my other one ever was at my power level (I can throw these about 310' or so). Still turns, and seems to glide just a bit more than in Opto Air plastic. Awesome.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #365  
Old 08-21-2017, 05:45 AM
Nenja's Avatar
Nenja Nenja is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tjörn, Sweden.
Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 369
Niced 67 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
I scanned the whole thread and didn't see any references to Moonshine Rivers. I just got a 168g Moonshine and took it to field practice, and it's noticably more stable than my other one ever was at my power level (I can throw these about 310' or so). Still turns, and seems to glide just a bit more than in Opto Air plastic. Awesome.
Did you throw a Frost? I'm so curious how these compare, even though I'm about to cycle them out with beat up River Pros.
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old 08-21-2017, 12:54 PM
GoobyPls's Avatar
GoobyPls GoobyPls is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 434
Niced 86 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenja View Post
Did you throw a Frost? I'm so curious how these compare, even though I'm about to cycle them out with beat up River Pros.
No, the only two plastics I've thrown a River in is Opto Air & Moonshine. The Air one had less HSS out of the box, and is my go-to for shorter (<300') rollers. Both have about the same LSS.
Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old 08-21-2017, 04:33 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 5,450
Niced 559 Times in 449 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
I scanned the whole thread and didn't see any references to Moonshine Rivers. I just got a 168g Moonshine and took it to field practice, and it's noticably more stable than my other one ever was at my power level (I can throw these about 310' or so). Still turns, and seems to glide just a bit more than in Opto Air plastic. Awesome.
I'm using a Moonshine River now. It started out more stable than GL Rivers, but is seasoning in with use, and is really good for me. Definitely has great glide, though the GL Rivers glide will, also.
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 08-21-2017, 11:49 PM
elmexdela elmexdela is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Courses Played: 135
Posts: 4,960
Niced 304 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Threw my buddies river. It was better than I remembered. Nice flip up and has hang time that makes you think the disc should be illegal.
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 08-22-2017, 12:40 AM
aajpity's Avatar
aajpity aajpity is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Crystal, MN
Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,936
Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Maybe I should pull out the river again. I remember it being a great disc.
Reply With Quote
 

  #370  
Old 08-22-2017, 09:41 AM
asromatifoso's Avatar
asromatifoso asromatifoso is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NC
Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 941
Niced 109 Times in 79 Posts
Default

I bag a GL River and have bagged an Opto in the past. Great disc and was my favorite fairway driver for a long time. Lately though, S line FD is getting more and more of that work. It's just a touch more stable than my River. Both are great discs, just liking the FD a bit more these days.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.