Old 08-12-2017, 07:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 22 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Not sure there is one. Maybe the Witness?
Witness was more US for me, like a Seer, or even a Diamond, if they made a 170 gram one.

River is a pretty special disc in the Trilogy family of discs in my experience.

Depending on the disc and the plastic, they can vary from stable neutral to somewhat under-stable. But I think the core disc they intended is not fliptastic, has great glide, and is what a fairway driver was meant to be, for the masses. This is a finesse disc, and gorillas gonna flip it 100% of the time.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Monkeypaws; 08-12-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 439 Times in 357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
Witness was more US for me, like a Seer, or even a Diamond, if they made a 170 gram one.

River is a pretty special disc in the Trilogy family of discs in my experience.

Depending on the disc and the plastic, they can vary from stable neutral to somewhat under-stable. But I think the core disc they intended is not fliptastic, has great glide, and is what a fairway driver was meant to be, for the masses. This is a finesse disc, and gorillas gonna flip it 100% of the time.
All true. I bag a River myself. Having said that, every River I've had, in Gold Line, Opto, or Moonshine, may have started out straight-stable, but they always work into some understability (some get flippy, some just a gentle turnover).

Also, while I suggested the Witness as the 'nearest' thing, DD really has nothing right at the speed (7 or so) and stability of the River. The River is indeed in a class of its own...

Niced: (1)
Old 08-12-2017, 08:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 22 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Also, while I suggested the Witness as the 'nearest' thing, DD really has nothing right at the speed (7 or so) and stability of the River. The River is indeed in a class of its own...
Yes, I am starting to understand this. My 168g Goldline River is just the best suited, straightest disc for me that I have ever laid my hands on. I dont think I will ever overpower this disc, but I'm getting distances over 300 feet and I have never done that with any other disc. I just love it more every day that I play with it!

Niced: (3)
Old 08-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 12
Niced 45 Times in 38 Posts

I scanned the whole thread and didn't see any references to Moonshine Rivers. I just got a 168g Moonshine and took it to field practice, and it's noticably more stable than my other one ever was at my power level (I can throw these about 310' or so). Still turns, and seems to glide just a bit more than in Opto Air plastic. Awesome.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-21-2017, 04:45 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 57 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
I scanned the whole thread and didn't see any references to Moonshine Rivers. I just got a 168g Moonshine and took it to field practice, and it's noticably more stable than my other one ever was at my power level (I can throw these about 310' or so). Still turns, and seems to glide just a bit more than in Opto Air plastic. Awesome.
Did you throw a Frost? I'm so curious how these compare, even though I'm about to cycle them out with beat up River Pros.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:54 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 12
Niced 45 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenja View Post
Did you throw a Frost? I'm so curious how these compare, even though I'm about to cycle them out with beat up River Pros.
No, the only two plastics I've thrown a River in is Opto Air & Moonshine. The Air one had less HSS out of the box, and is my go-to for shorter (<300') rollers. Both have about the same LSS.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 439 Times in 357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
I'm using a Moonshine River now. It started out more stable than GL Rivers, but is seasoning in with use, and is really good for me. Definitely has great glide, though the GL Rivers glide will, also.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 135
Niced 218 Times in 162 Posts

Threw my buddies river. It was better than I remembered. Nice flip up and has hang time that makes you think the disc should be illegal.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 37
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

Maybe I should pull out the river again. I remember it being a great disc.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 21
Niced 99 Times in 72 Posts

I bag a GL River and have bagged an Opto in the past. Great disc and was my favorite fairway driver for a long time. Lately though, S line FD is getting more and more of that work. It's just a touch more stable than my River. Both are great discs, just liking the FD a bit more these days.