Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 06-28-2022, 10:40 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 39 Times in 29 Posts
Default Disc Golf Journey from 250ft to 400ft (75 - 120m)

Came across this via the The Players Meeting and found it very interesting. Thought I would pass it along.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2022, 01:41 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 62 Times in 41 Posts

That's cool stuff. I hope he dives deeper into that simulator, as that's fascinating to watch.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:51 AM
Par Member

Niced 229 Times in 111 Posts

Hah, he started playing the exact same day I did.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:21 PM

Years Playing: 2
Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for sharing! This is probably now one of my favorite disc golf videos. While the form insights themselves weren’t new, seeing someone document and analyze their progression (especially in a well-edited video) was really cool.

Also loved the physics simulation in Blender! Definitely want to see more of that.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:35 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 62
Niced 113 Times in 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddball View Post
That's cool stuff. I hope he dives deeper into that simulator, as that's fascinating to watch.
When I get caught up and can work on "fun" projects,
Was gonna do a real life style version of this.

However, the simulation gives him real time data.

My main goal was to use it to teach to stop "pulling" the disc into the pocket.

Which he figured that out in this video, which is fantastic.

Though I didn't think about the hunched in shoulders thing any. Because I've never focused on that, mainly just looked at shoulder to main arm at 90° and noodle the rest.

Though this explains why wide rail does some weird things.

Getting people out of the lag though is huge though, and its tough cause a lot of ladies throw this way and. Their shoulders are destined for destruction as the over loading of the joint and some muscle blah blah.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:18 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 29 Times in 24 Posts

Things that stuck out for me in this are the shoulder positioning to create the 'space for tie disc' and the way he incorporated and explains the off arm and rear hip.

The drill of just moving the off arm and rear hip to create the throwing motion gave me some new feelings to work with.

And the simulation is really cool!

Niced: (1)
Old 07-02-2022, 05:12 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 101 Times in 65 Posts

I ran his 3rd simulation frame by frame trying to understand it.

He has changed the line of his shoulders, not the angle of arm from shoulder. Pause it when shoulders are pointing to the right. In his first two simulations the shoulders are in a straight line. In the third they are in a V - I'm not sure that is anatomically possible. If it is I'd like to know why it affects the results, because oblique sling is not a factor, that angle is rigid.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:54 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy42b View Post
I ran his 3rd simulation frame by frame trying to understand it.

He has changed the line of his shoulders, not the angle of arm from shoulder. Pause it when shoulders are pointing to the right. In his first two simulations the shoulders are in a straight line. In the third they are in a V - I'm not sure that is anatomically possible. If it is I'd like to know why it affects the results, because oblique sling is not a factor, that angle is rigid.
Okay, I knew something seemed strange there, but I wasn't 100% sure cause I was partially watching while that was going on and didn't want to dive into it to deep.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:41 AM
Par Member

Niced 97 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy42b View Post
In the third they are in a V - I'm not sure that is anatomically possible.
I'm not clear on what the objection is here? You can bring the entire shoulder forward. The scale of the effect in the simulation seems to be only exaggerated somewhat.

He's more or less creating greater separation between his elbow and rotation axis, which will impact lever lengths and restraint forces at the elbow.

I'm not sure if that's the primary benefit for him, but rather that bringing the shoulders forward are potentially helping to improve posture in the throw and influencing the leverage you can get with the off-arm?

Old 07-03-2022, 03:33 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruisedOoze View Post
I'm not clear on what the objection is here? You can bring the entire shoulder forward. The scale of the effect in the simulation seems to be only exaggerated somewhat.

He's more or less creating greater separation between his elbow and rotation axis, which will impact lever lengths and restraint forces at the elbow.

I'm not sure if that's the primary benefit for him, but rather that bringing the shoulders forward are potentially helping to improve posture in the throw and influencing the leverage you can get with the off-arm?
so, I shouldn't throw the eruo style off hand vs the usa style off hand into this to change the leverage equation? =)

Niced: (1)