Old 07-02-2022, 10:26 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 121
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 314 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Thanks for the update. I need to get my son up there for his first visit (I'd played it as far back as '98 on the "raskets" they had there but haven't been back in maybe 20 years). He'll be most likely playing in Am-2 at the states as a 13-year-old.
Wow! Good luck to your son, that's amazing!
Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2022, 11:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.2
Courses Played: 156
Niced 1,568 Times in 591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFrah View Post
Wow! Good luck to your son, that's amazing!
Thank you. He's coming along great. Fun to watch. He just shot a 56 from the longs at ROMO at league last week. I haven't yet shot below 60 as an old (almost 50) guy and my kid who just turned 13 is kicking my ASS. Got me by 8 there! He's beaten me 15 times this year so far, almost .500 against me. When he starts putting like me, look out.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-03-2022, 11:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 938
Niced 4,223 Times in 2,192 Posts

from my recent michigan trip

every group i passed thru was super nice and even a few offered for me to play with them or called me "pro" lulz

anyways some highlights and low lights

flip- wonderful course and very fun (if the ratings were reset on here i doubt it would make it back into the top 10) and its such a solid experience overall this is a destination course

mason county courses- been on my wishlist for years finally got out there and when i saw beauty was cut to ribbons my buzz was killed goliath and beast are open with small sections of wooded areas but big arms mostly would like this and lastly the tinderbox was fn sick and i aced hole with a laser beam with my red z wasp all or nothing baby tinderbox killed it on the ace place design and plays very well and fun (and was my fav at this complex)

arvesta- seems like close to robbery to have folks pay to play the current course "as is" (also it took me over 20 minutes literally to get me checked in which i found unacceptable) it will be a completely different course once all complete i talked to the designer after the round who was receptive to any feedback i had to which i had several of course this isnt goin to be a 5/5 course and it has strong vision quest vibes

branstrom was an excellent diamond in the rough

hart hydro is one of the worse 18 holes with cement pads and baskets ive ever saw

jones park needed to commit to doin the unique holes to an extreme level however currently they just went low throttle

myles k was surprisingly great to play i just wish they had another set of pins with some creativity and/or moar difficult pin positions cuz most of the shots are straight which is holding back this high potential course and especially if a little redesign work for the last holes so 18 can be a top of the world shot

mc scuba was really hard to navigate their signs were wrong and udisc was wrong as well but some great hiking scenery and views

Old 07-04-2022, 02:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 729
Niced 4,129 Times in 1,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post

every group i passed thru was super nice and even a few offered for me to play with them or called me "pro" lulz

flip- wonderful course and very fun (if the ratings were reset on here i doubt it would make it back into the top 10) and its such a solid experience overall this is a destination course

mason county courses- been on my wishlist for years finally got out there and when i saw beauty was cut to ribbons my buzz was killed goliath and beast are open with small sections of wooded areas but big arms mostly would like this and lastly the tinderbox was fn sick and i aced hole with a laser beam with my red z wasp all or nothing baby tinderbox killed it on the ace place design and plays very well and fun (and was my fav at this complex)

arvesta- seems like close to robbery to have folks pay to play the current course "as is" (also it took me over 20 minutes literally to get me checked in which i found unacceptable) it will be a completely different course once all complete i talked to the designer after the round who was receptive to any feedback i had to which i had several of course this isnt goin to be a 5/5 course and it has strong vision quest vibes

hart hydro is one of the worse 18 holes with cement pads and baskets ive ever saw

jones park needed to commit to doin the unique holes to an extreme level however currently they just went low throttle

myles k was surprisingly great to play i just wish they had another set of pins with some creativity and/or moar difficult pin positions cuz most of the shots are straight which is holding back this high potential course and especially if a little redesign work for the last holes so 18 can be a top of the world shot

mc scuba was really hard to navigate their signs were wrong and udisc was wrong as well but some great hiking scenery and views
This is good info here for when I go back over that way, probably next year. I missed Myles Kimmerly due to the course being closed for "course clean up" or something like that last year. I was pretty disappointed about that.

Mt. McSauba was a navigational nightmare at the beginning but it got better after hole 4 or 5. I thought you'd like that one a bit more tbh.

I had never heard of Jones or Tinderbox last year so those will go onto the wishlist.

Branstrom is fantastic. Very underrated course, or likely less played and a bit out of the way.

Flip is just sooo much fun. Old school for sure, but I don't see how you couldn't love your time there.

My favorite part of your whole trip is that you played Hart Hydro fully knowing about it's awfulness. You literally need to see it firsthand to grasp it. People talk about watching a train wreck, It has more meaning when you've experienced the train wreck

Old 07-04-2022, 08:02 AM
Par Member

Quote:

Sounds like a nice trip overall. Where did you end up staying?

Ditto what wolfhaley said basically. Myles K and Mt McSauba are both on my list too. I also think it's funny that you played Hart Hydro. You did say you were looking for punishment if I'm recalling that correctly lol. So maybe we should have recommended that one.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-04-2022, 08:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
This is good info here for when I go back over that way, probably next year. I missed Myles Kimmerly due to the course being closed for "course clean up" or something like that last year. I was pretty disappointed about that.

Mt. McSauba was a navigational nightmare at the beginning but it got better after hole 4 or 5. I thought you'd like that one a bit more tbh.

I had never heard of Jones or Tinderbox last year so those will go onto the wishlist.

Branstrom is fantastic. Very underrated course, or likely less played and a bit out of the way.

Flip is just sooo much fun. Old school for sure, but I don't see how you couldn't love your time there.

My favorite part of your whole trip is that you played Hart Hydro fully knowing about it's awfulness. You literally need to see it firsthand to grasp it. People talk about watching a train wreck, It has more meaning when you've experienced the train wreck
myles has a slow start then gets into the fun stuff and then the last two holes just leave a sour taste in your mouth especially hole 18 the ingredients are there for a 4.5 course and when you see all the unused land and potential you will cry a little

i needed to experience first hand the hype behind hart hydro and apparently im one of the last to know cuz everyone else got the message as i didnt see a single other person there

Niced: (2)
Old 07-04-2022, 08:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFrah View Post
Sounds like a nice trip overall. Where did you end up staying?

Ditto what wolfhaley said basically. Myles K and Mt McSauba are both on my list too. I also think it's funny that you played Hart Hydro. You did say you were looking for punishment if I'm recalling that correctly lol. So maybe we should have recommended that one.
i did some dispersed and primitive camping

Niced: (1)
Old 07-04-2022, 06:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 74
Niced 44 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apdrvya View Post
100%, it was the first course my 7 year old played all 18
I built this small little family friendly course just to hear this.

Niced: (3)
Old 07-04-2022, 06:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 74
Niced 44 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
tinderbox killed it on the ace place design and plays very well and fun (and was my fav at this complex)
...and selfishly built it to hear this as well.

Great review on it btw Dfrah!

Niced: (3)

Old 07-04-2022, 09:14 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjulio View Post
...and selfishly built it to hear this as well.

Great review on it btw Dfrah!
My pleasure! It's a fun one. I am back and forth between Grand Rapids and Manistee several times a year and will be stopping there again for sure.

If you are also partially to thank for the Beauty cleanup - thank you!!!